DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ever been in that situation.....

GB

I was waiting for the train and reading ToM again and right next to me there is a guy who was also reading ToM. And he noticed my book and we started talking and we got on the same train and kept talking about WoT until I reached my station.

I find it so strange and yet so cool that you can spark a whole conversation with someone just because of one book/series.

I was wondering if anyone else has cool stories like that to share?

You know, this sort of thing always puts a smile on my face. There are places (NOT in North America or Western Europe, AFAIK) where striking a conversation with the person sitting next to you in the train/bus/plain to make the journey pass faster is considered quite normal.

Regardless, it's still a nice story :smile:

Myself, I've never met another WoT fan by chance, that I'm aware of.

I have the wheel symbol and the ancient Aes Sedai symbol tattooed on my wrists, and one night I got into a discussion with a bouncer at a club about whether Verin was evil or not which led to me getting free drinks for the entire night.

I have the wheel symbol and the ancient Aes Sedai symbol tattooed on my wrists, and one night I got into a discussion with a bouncer at a club about whether Verin was evil or not which led to me getting free drinks for the entire night.

WHERE IS THIS CLUB????

WHERE IS THIS CLUB????

Club 77? It's a pseudo-gay club near oxford street in sydney. Home to the infamous Star[insert naughty word for people who are engaging in intercourse]

For starters, im a bus boy at a restaurant. One night i was clearing some plates from a table and a couple were talking about books. They asked me if I was much of a reader, and could settle this debate for them. For the life of me i cant remember the debate, but i remember i said Wheel of Time in my answer. Half hour later i got in trouble for talking to much with them instead of working. Totaly worth it, plus we were slow, just sayin.

Maybe the free drinks were because he was just into you and the tattoos were a good icebreaker?

I've had a couple of people at the airport talk WoT with me when they saw what I was reading. That's one thing I've always liked about the WoT fandom is it creates an instant friendly bond that lets you discuss the series quite happily with a stranger for hours.

Sounds like a great bouncer :p

Some of the people in my church's College Group have read this series.

Also some of my relatives.

Seldom talk about this series with either group.

With college group, mainly when I bring any of the books which has been quite awhile.

Maybe the free drinks were because he was just into you and the tattoos were a good icebreaker?

I've had a couple of people at the airport talk WoT with me when they saw what I was reading. That's one thing I've always liked about the WoT fandom is it creates an instant friendly bond that lets you discuss the series quite happily with a stranger for hours.

The funniest thing was that the bouncer reckoned that Verin was Black Ajah, and I talked him into believing that she wasn't... maybe I owe him the drinks back.

The funniest thing was that the bouncer reckoned that Verin was Black Ajah, and I talked him into believing that she wasn't... maybe I owe him the drinks back.

I'd say so, imagine him reading tGS and thinking "I F&$KEN KNEW IT!! DAMN THAT GUY! AND I PAID FOR HIS DRINKS ALL NIGHT TO!!"... Poor guy.

But then again, Verin wasn't evil, true she was BA but even though some of the things she did were iffy, she wasn't actually evil.

I've never had a situation like this, but I know someone who has, they were on the bus reading KoD and a school kid came up and started trying to "debate" weither or not the taint was actually gone, this apparently got some funny looks, a 30 something y/old guy argueing with a young teenager and apparently loosing (the guy was one of those who thought along the lines of the AS) when he was reduced to umm's and well you see's.

A.

I honestly wish I could have such an awesome experience. I don't personally know a single person in Melbourne, Australia who has read WoT (although I have seen some Dragonmount members mention they live in Melbourne) and all my friends never read it because it's "too big". *sigh* At least I have Dragonmount to vent my woT-fanatical spleen...

I have seen people reading WOT on the train but have worked up the nerve to say something to them! But then i did not have a WOT book on me at the same time.

Re talking to people on trains, I was on a 5 hour train home from Edinburgh with my friend and we ended up chatting to the married couple sitting with us and playing hangman the whole way home :biggrin:

I was turned onto these books by a high school friend in the late 90s, and when I was in college I got up to Winter's Heart, which was the newest at the time.

Anyway, I went to a local bookstore, couldn't find it, and felt really embarrassed asking a really cute Borders Girl where I could find it.

My thought was, jeez she's going to think I'm a fantasy geek.

Wheel of Time was my first Fantasy series that I really enjoyed, and I hadn't considered myself a "fantasy reader."

Anyway, she not only knew where I could find a copy, we had a nice long talk about how Jordan was one of the few fantasy authors that had female characters that she liked.

I had no idea that girls read fantasy, and that I would come across one that was as big of a fan as I had become.

It lead to a few nice dates, and to this day Winter's Heart is my favorite of the series. :wink:

I was turned onto these books by a high school friend in the late 90s, and when I was in college I got up to Winter's Heart, which was the newest at the time.

Anyway, I went to a local bookstore, couldn't find it, and felt really embarrassed asking a really cute Borders Girl where I could find it.

My thought was, jeez she's going to think I'm a fantasy geek.

Wheel of Time was my first Fantasy series that I really enjoyed, and I hadn't considered myself a "fantasy reader."

Anyway, she not only knew where I could find a copy, we had a nice long talk about how Jordan was one of the few fantasy authors that had female characters that she liked.

I had no idea that girls read fantasy, and that I would come across one that was as big of a fan as I had become.

It lead to a few nice dates, and to this day Winter's Heart is my favorite of the series. :wink:

Would love to experience the same thing with A Memory of Light. :biggrin:

A friend of mine has read the series up to tGS I believe, but he doesn't talk about it. I sometimes try to convince some others to read the series as well, but then I also play the recorder and try to convert them to the Nobuo Uematsuism and.. wel never mind ;p

I had a cool situation on the train once.... I'm reading either TGS or ToM, and this guy is like "Which one is... Oh my god, a new one!!! I thought he died!"

I was like "Oh, he did... But someone is finishing for him." I swear that guy's day got brighter. He was pretty happy. It was the opposite of what happened to me on the train when I first started reading WoT....

A guy sitting across from me got my attention and said "That's a GREAT series you're reading, but just to let you know, the author wrote 11 of them and died right when it started getting intense."

I was new to WoT and had no idea Jordan was dead. This event was partially responsible for my slow reading of WoT, which sort of upsets me... Because that was a couple of years ago, and I could have been enjoying it all this time! It's still mostly my fault, since I saw the books on shelves for years before deciding to pick one up, but damn! I gotta say, I like waiting for books to come out. It gives me something to look forward to, something to talk about. And I MISSED OUT ON ALL THE WAITING AND THE THEORIZING AND THE TALKING!!! :mad:

Archived