DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Capulet or Montague

Phelix

Would you rather be of the House of Montague or Capulet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather be of the House of Montague or Capulet?

So, I'm six hours into a nine hour overnight shift, and the desire to sleep is getting to me... so I'm watching the 1996 Rome + Juliet.

(Leo and Claire 4 eva.)

But, as I watch, I am torn. Were I to be a member of one of these two noble houses, which would I choose? I am basing this solely upon the movie. Screw the plays, Shakespeare's intent, or anything else. :smile:

Capulets

Pros-

• Well dressed
  • Well equipped with 9mm "swords"
  • Well connected politically
  • Tybalt, the King of Cats (major badass, played by John Leguizamo)

Cons-

• The leading members are a bit insane and/or incestuous
  • Seem to support frequent dental modifications among their lower members
  • More than a bit heartless
  • Tybalt, the King of Cats (CRAZY, and possibly screwing his aunt...)

Montagues

Pros-

• They have a lot of fun
  • They wear less clothing, and what they do wear is brightly colored
  • Tied to Mercutio
  • Benvolio (the actor is kinda hot, and the character is pretty awesome)

Cons-

• Their men (excluding Benvolio) are a bit cowardly
  • Neon hair dye.
  • Jamie Kennedy

So... I am still torn. Anyone have an opinion to share?

First I had to laugh at your pro/con list for both houses. I have to say that I REALLY detest this play. Having preformed it multiple times and been forced to see it multiple times. However, based soley off the movie I'd have to go with Montague they have Mercutio who was practically the best part of the whole movie. When he died I was more or less like....board now. LOL

I'm glad you LOL'd. :biggrin: I agree that Mercutio really does make the play. His Queen Mab speech is amazing... and I love the build up to his death. When he died, he died with style... but the play lost a lot of its oomph.

I can see why, though, after performing it time after time you'd get sick of it. :smile:

I also like his "If you look for me tomorrow, you shall find me a grave man!" Gotta love anyone who can acknowledge their own death with humor and sarcasm. :smile:

Hamlet is too easy to do poorly, IMO. Macbeth is great, as is Othello. Iago makes me smile in an evil sort of way. I haven't seen the Tempest in years, but I want to... I read/saw it in high school, but I think my view would be different now.

*is amused how this turned quickly to talk of Shakespeare in General*

Mercutio, I think pretty much got the short end of the stick. *laughs* Course everyone dies in that play and most of the tragedy's.

Macbeth.....really you can't go wrong there. I had to recently reread Hamlet because I took a Shakespeare class, Hamlet ended up being the last play we read. After I was done I told one of my bondeds that Hamlet and I had broken up. *ggls* That play just goes on and on and on...etc. LOL

Do you like the comedy's? I mean besides the Tempest?

*is also amused*

I agree Mercutio got screwed... when I first read it, I thought he'd survive... he seemed too happy and full of life to die, which, I guess made his death all that more significant. *sigh*

Hamlet is such an emo play. :smile:

I enjoy Taming of the Shrew a lot... the back and forth is great, and I also enjoy the adaptation in 10 things I hate about you. A fun movie that was set/filmed near where I live. :biggrin:

Other than that... A Midsummer Night's Dream is excellent... though, my favorite parts are the fairies, not the people. Much Ado is also fun. :smile:

What about you? Favorite comedies?

Midsummer is getting close to being over done too. I do like Puck in that play though. "What fools these mortals be." Is one of the best lines I think.

I LOVE Taming of the Shrew, its probably my fave of the comedy's. Much ado is also really good. I play a angry, jaded person well so I've played both Kat from Taming and Beatrice from Much Ado. Probably why I like those two so much. *laughs* 10 things I hate about you was pretty good, I enjoyed seeing Seattle in a movie. *laughs* Since I live about 40 min north of there.

As you Like it is also a good one. I never cared much for Merchant of Venice, which I also had to reread recently, I just didn't like Portia that much and the whole story made me go...ho hum. LOL

Midsummer is getting close to being over done too. I do like Puck in that play though. "What fools these mortals be." Is one of the best lines I think.

I LOVE Taming of the Shrew, its probably my fave of the comedy's. Much ado is also really good. I play a angry, jaded person well so I've played both Kat from Taming and Beatrice from Much Ado. Probably why I like those two so much. *laughs* 10 things I hate about you was pretty good, I enjoyed seeing Seattle in a movie. *laughs* Since I live about 40 min north of there.

As you Like it is also a good one. I never cared much for Merchant of Venice, which I also had to reread recently, I just didn't like Portia that much and the whole story made me go...ho hum. LOL

Yeah, Midsummer is done by everyone and their brother because it's so easy, and fun... but, it has layers. :smile: One of my favorite lines is "I go, I go, swifter than an arrow from a tartar's bow." Though, yes "What fools" is an excellent line that sums up humanity. :biggrin:

Kat is one of my all time favorites! She's a fun character to seen played well... but she's easy to overplay or make just plain mean. You know? I work down in Seattle, but live up north in Everett, so I feel ya. :wink:

I need to do a reread of Shakespeare... As you Like it and Merchant were never my favorites, and I'm struggling to remember the important points. :blush:

oh shakespeare! My favorite topic. In answer to the question, I think I'd rather be a Montague. I just feel like they're a little less cuckoo. As for Shakespeare in general... I also need to reread. I LOVE MidSummer, and the Tempest. The prologue monologue of Henry V is one of the most beautiful things ever written. My favorite tragedy is probably MacBeth, but I'm not too big about the tragedies.

My least favorite of ALL of them is Comedy of Errors. :)

oh shakespeare! My favorite topic. In answer to the question, I think I'd rather be a Montague. I just feel like they're a little less cuckoo. As for Shakespeare in general... I also need to reread. I LOVE MidSummer, and the Tempest. The prologue monologue of Henry V is one of the most beautiful things ever written. My favorite tragedy is probably MacBeth, but I'm not too big about the tragedies.

My least favorite of ALL of them is Comedy of Errors. :)

The Montagues seem more of a chaotic kind of cuckoo... a devil may care kind of amazingness. It's a fun kind of crazy. :smile: Not quite so cold as the killer intense crazy we see in the Capulets. :wink:

Excellent choices on your Shakespeare list of awesome. :biggrin:

The only problem I have with your list is that you listed being insane as a con. :biggrin:

lol... I'm beginning to realize you wouldn't see it as a con at all. :wink:

Insanity is a refuge... but every so often, you've gotta leave the refuge and go back out into the real world. :wink:

But don't shun the Bard... else he'll come get you when you least expect it.

WHAM!

7392.jpg

I'm not all knowing either, just a well read dilletente. :wink:

I totally respect the almost-7am-crazies-from-lack-of-sleep. I've been there myself. It's currently only almost 5am for me. I've got another 3.5 hours until I get off work. Then I get to go home and sleep. Mmmmm... sleep.... </Homer Simpson drool>

Lol nice. The problem is, I have play practice from 8-11, then after that, I'm going to be up all day.

So yeah, sleep is going to have to wait.

Did you ever see the episode of Doctor Who with the Bard?

<whisper>I ne'er really got into Dr. Who.</whisper>

Hmmmm... busy day indeed. Nap between scenes, and if all else fails, have an accident and get taken to the ER. :biggrin:

Not that I've ever seen someone do that at play rehearsal. :rolleyes:

Lol! Actually I'm not a huge part, so I just might get away with napping a little. I'll just have to find a quiet dark corner.

Otherwise the Director might get mad again. She is very female doggish if you catch my extremely obvious drift.

*whispers*

Yeah not everyone is into Doctor Who. I only recently started watching it, and frankly love the show.

Archived