DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RP Planning: Apprentice RP

Kathleen

Alright, what I've got worked up so far is a single, very pitiful post about an early day in Mordre's training. My goal was to show her progression from being ignorant of what Shri is mixing together (in this case, it's really a poultice for the burn Shri knew Mordre was going to get by picking up the bowl bare handed) to her understanding of what Shri is mixing through knowledge of the ingredients the Wise lady has on the table she's mixing things together on. I was aiming for the non-channeling one first, since I think that'll be the hardest for me to write. The post is not pretty... please forgive me. :(

“Warm the water,” Shri’s said, her voice interrupting the steady flow of reminders Mordre’s mind was sifting through. She eyed the gaishan standing silently just to the side of her and wondered for a moment who the Wise One was speaking to. With a resigned inward sigh, she rose to her feet. If the gaishan wasn’t moving, then Mordre was obviously the intended water warmer. She moved towards the fire pit and, not for the first time, wished she still had that beautiful cloth her mother had given her when she was ten for moving hot items off a crackling fire. She’d been forced to give it away when Shri had taken her from her home. She’d cried as she wrapped her youngest sister’s hands around it, knowing this sister would have the most need of it. Pelina had cried, too, but she’d clutched the cloth to her chest like she’d never let it go and that had to be enough for Mordre. Pelina would make a great roofmistress someday, after all.

Mordre wrapped her hands in a much thinner cloth and moved a small bowl closer to the fire to warm. The water inside barely moved. She’d realized the day was a cool one, but just hadn’t realized it was cold enough to freeze water! She looked over her shoulder at Shri, who was busy making a poultice for a fallen Warrior. She edged the water a little closer to the fire, hoping the ice inside would melt and begin to warm up more quickly. She watched it closely until Shri’s voice again interrupted her thoughts.

“Watching it does not make it warm faster,” the Wise One said. Mordre felt her face flame and turned away from the bowl, keeping time in her head to keep the water from growing too hot. Shri said ‘warm’ the water, after all. If she handed it to her boiling hot, she was sure to earn toh for it. She shuddered at the thought and sat a few feet away, picking up her bowl of seeds and returning to grinding them. She did it rather absently, though, as her attention was almost wholly focused on the bowl of water resting a breath from the fire.

A few moments later, she checked it, deemed it warm enough and moved it away from the fire. She hissed as the hot bowl burned her fingers, but it was the only sign that it caused her pain as she moved the bowl across the room to the table Shri was working on. “Mordre, this water is barely lukewarm. Try again.”

Mordre stared at the bowl, but turned back to the fire, moving it a bit closer to the fire so as to warm faster. She turned her back on it, using the grinding of the pestle to count time in her head as she waited for it to warm again. She heated it a little more this time, believing that the trip across the room cooled it off. When she pulled it off this time, she bit back the hiss of pain as the hot bowl burned the already reddened portions of her fingers. There were tears shining in her eyes, but she held them back as she took the bowl back to Shri.

“Just set it there. It needs to cool off a bit,” she said, her eyes still on her poultice. Mordre sighed inwardly, but set the bowl on the table and moved back to her mortar and pestle. It was harder to grind the little seeds into dust with the burns on her fingers, but she did it, tears still shining in her eyes.

OOh that is good so far. So how do we want to do this? Do we want to do individual task (perhaps one like this that pushes our physical ability and tests our ability to connect things - like making the healing mix before you get hurt to teach you to it will happen and to be prepared- showing one day in our lives, and then have us being set to do something together? That would show at least two of our days as apprentice and one with all of us working together on something?

We'd need to know what the something would be. The only thing coming to my mind right now is maybe the Wise Ones give us a logic topic (or a complex scenario) that we all have differing opinions on going in to discuss and come to a single satisfactory conclusion to bring to them? It could be something important or something seemingly unimportant just to make us work together and see how well we can compromise and still make our opinions known?

Just throwing out an idea here, if you don't like it we'll scrap it and think of something else. Please post ideas you have.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me stew a bit more and I'll get back here. Tadpole is exhausting me and making me go to bed at an insane hour (for me), but I'm hoping that's changing soon with the end of the first trimester! *Crosses her fingers*

I'm trying to think of something that they'd have all three of us do and I'm drawing a blank.

Unless...

What happens when a group of Maidens come home all busted up? Perhaps if there are enough of them who need medical attention, the apprentices would be set to help out. If each of us does a post like the one above, perhaps we'd each have our own specialties (ie, Mordre's would be burns and the salves and ointments that go with them). If we have patients with more than one type of injury, then more than one specialty would be needed AND we could teach each other the ones we know as we go along helping the WO's treat the patients. Perhaps they give us a less-than-fatal case to work through on our own?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Emily and I have already done these and I am raised now. However, if you want someone to play with I can probably work out a way to do that. I want to get my Adai more active around here too, but I find solo's hard to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about this sis, I'm so swamped I hardly have time to get online anymore while trying to find my bearings to balance everything out. So my play time is down to zilch and what time I have I spend it on admin stuff of my groups.

I should be able to do 1 or 2 RP's though. So let me know if you'd like some company either in this RP or in one of the next ones you do. I can play with our NSW Wise One, here's her bio: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/70610-aiel-wise-one-nsw-endora-meladrin-no-cc-needed/