DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

20 years of WOT fandom

I'm a retired USN Senior Chief and since I started reading the WOT series almost exactly 20 years ago, on the USS ROOSEVELT, in the Persian Gulf during the first gulf war, I figured it was about time I became a poster on this site. I've lurked for years, but just recently became a member.

Unlike a lot of other members I don't think the middle books dragged or were filled with a lot of fluff. On my first read I thought they were a little slower moving, but it is apparent now RJ had a plan, shifted that plan and that made the books after tDR basicly one huge "book" with many individual "volumes". The story line on the "volumes" became secondary to the story line to the "book" (or the remainder of the series). Now that I've done the several re-reads I really appreciate the scope of this effort and how RJ pulled it off and they read much smoother with knowledge of the plan.

Also, I find it amusing how many people have issues with the female primary characters. I have some strong opinions on why that is and it has much more to do with the individual readers with the issues than the characters.

Welcome 3 to Dragonmount. If you have any questions about the site, then just ask. Someone will definitely try to help you.

So you a veteran in more ways than one! We have many forces/ex forces here and we are always glad to see more!

I would love to hear you opinions on why some don't like the women in the books. Do you have any favourite characters?

Talya,

Thanks you the welcome and the comments on being a vet.

My view on why alot of fans dislike the main female characters goes mostly like this.

Some people, not all just simply have a problem with women on roles that them in positions of authority or power. They want women to be a supporting actress type of role. These same types of people gave no problem with women in the "hot, chicks, kicking" role, hence very few have a problem with Birgitte".

Many people have a problem with Egween and she fits into the category quite soundly. "A woman in power, can't have that!". Compounding that is the fact that very few people have leadership experience. The type of leadership that required a person to lead with an iron fist and dare someone to challenge your authority.

Egween is extremely young and inexperienced and she is in charge of a group much older and much more experienced. If she finches or shows any weakness they will figuratively rip her to pieces. They will continuously test her, she can't show any signs of weakness. She has to believe what she is doing is right. She can't doubt herself or they will sense it.

As the series progressed my favorite character my favorite character went from Rand, to Perrin, to Mat, and now it is Egween. Funny thing is, when the series started Egween was my least favorite character, but over the last few books she has been a rock star! She absolutely stole the show in tGS, much like Mat did when he had Tuon captive.

Perrin was pretty frakin (yes a BSG fan) awesome in ToM.

I have to agree with your reasoning there. I think there are a few who think that. She did Rock in TGS! she was actually my fav from the start. But when I read the books, the first book was split into two and the prologue had the extra chapter about Egwene when she was younger. I liked her from there and I have stuck with her all the way through. Although I like Mat...I like his sense of humour, lol I also wonder if there are a few too many women in power throughout the books for some, and maybe that's why they find those characters hard. It does seem to be heavily weighed with Women in Power. With Rand and the Black Tower and Mat and Perrin, it's like things are balancing out again.

A BSG Fan as well, lol...you can't be all bad...not that I thought you were of course, lol..

any questions on the site, then just shout, I'm usually around the place

Welcome to DM! :biggrin:

Interesting views on the primary female characters being annoying. I, for one, find them annoying. For me, it has nothing to do with their power or authority. There are many other characters in other series who have both, and I don't dislike them. For me, it is Jordan's writing style that has given them that aura of annoyance. However, like you, after tGS, my view on Egwene changed. I still don't like her, but I respect what she was doing.

Anyway, enjoy exploring the site, and don't hesitate to ask any questions if you get lost or want some advice!

Archived