DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thom and Domon meet in Tanchico

airminxx

I'm in the middle of a reread and I noticed in book 4 when Nyneave and Elayne arrive in Tanchico and Domon recognizes the girls from Falme he doesn't seem to remember Thom as the gleeman who jumped aboard his vessel near Shadar Logoth with trollocs chasing them in EotW ....anyone else notice this or have any info on it? Seems like a slip on RJ's part?

Guest Winespring Brother

Its like how Min does not recognise Birgitte in Salidar when she sees her, but as soon as she sees her in the palace in Caemlyn she recognizes her as Birgitte Silverbow. Odd.

Another odd one is that when Mat says in book 9 that Tuon is his wife, it is because Egeanin has just said that she is the daughter of the Nine Moons. OK, Mat knew he was going to marry the daughter of the 9 moons, just not who she was. He then thinks a few paragraphs later that he doesn't like noblewomen, and she is the heir to the Seanchan throne! How does he know that Daughter of the Nine Moons means heir to the throne?

Actually, Domon does recognize Thom. At least, we are lead to believe that he does. It's a little hard to determine since it's from Elayne's POV. When Thom meets Domon in Tanchico for the first time, It says, quote:

"Thom's cloak made Domon's eyebrows rise - for an instant she almost thought it looked as though he recognized the gleeman"

This makes me think that Domon did indeed recognize Thom, he just didn't say anything out loud. After all, he doesn't know that Thom was connected to the girls before he sees them both together there on the docks in Tanchico. And he last saw Thom in very dangerous circumstances; he probably didn't want to bring that up again with everyone else around.

Elayne simply doesn't expect Domon to recognize Thom, so when from her POV she thinks that Thom's cloak made Domon's eyebrows rise, it wasn't that at all. It was the fact that he did recognize him.

At least, that's my opinion.

Guest cwestervelt

I don't consider it odd at all. The situation between Tanchico and outside Shadar Logoth are so different. Domon didn't didn't have anything that would associate a gleaman travelling with two young men of low station (non-nobles) with someone who is now in the company of two obviously ladies of high station (nobles). And hasn't Thom discarded his Cleaman's cloak for a nondescript brown (don't quote me on the color) one by then?

Addition:

"Thom's cloak made Domon's eyebrows rise - for an instant she almost thought it looked as though he recognized the gleeman"

Trust me, that can happen. My wife and I were at a restaurant in Watertown New York once and there was a waitress that was a mirror image of the teanage daughter of friends of hers. Not just physical resemblance either but mannerisms to. She looked the same, walked the same, talked the same... It was an absolutely uncanny resemblence. Her friends, and their daughter, live in Bozeman Montana. We both did a double take. The situation makes it inconceivable for Thom to have been the same man as on the boat and Domon's reaction is perfect.

Yeah, I do see your point. I guess the best answer is that we have no way of knowing that he recognized Thom or not. I just think that RJ put that bit about "Almost thought he knew the gleeman" in to remind readers that they had met before, or something like that. In any case, I don't think it was a mistake on RJ's part. It just wasn't really that important.

In Winter's Heart when Egenin and Domon find out that the seeker is after them, then Domon tell's Egenin that she need a crew and he reconized Mat in the inn's kitchen.

He told her about the last time he saw Mat which was on his boat, and with him was Thom who she knew from Tanchico, so i think he did reconized him in Tanchico but just didnt say anything.

Guest cwestervelt

By that point Doman also knows that Mat is connected to Elayne and Nynaeve. The implausible situation is now actually real.

Guest cwestervelt

Domon didn't consider Thom, Mat and Rand as the reason of the Trolloc attack, he considered their timing as his salvation from the attack. He comments on being hunted by Trollocs since leaving the Borderlands. He thought this was just another band that was after him because of the Seal he had on his boat. He was relieved that Thom showed up and raised the alarm as Florin Gelb was sleeping on watch.

Guest cwestervelt

Domon didn't forget the face either. The Elayne PoV notes his double take even if it was just in the form of raised eyebrows. I gave the example of the waitress from Watertown as an example of how it is possible to recognize a face yet know for a fact that it couldn't be the same person. Sure, Domon recognized the face. His reaction would have been something like, "Man that guy looks like... Nah, that's impossible. That guy was with a couple of Andoran farmers. He be associating with Ladies here in Tanchico." Then, sometime later he encounters Mat in Ebou Dar and realizes it really was the same person.

Guest cwestervelt
I dont really know how my post came to be an argument for you. My original post was joke for Leopold.

Ah the joys of a disconnected, time delayed dialog. Who needs the little things like facial expression, tone of voice, all those other things that just don't transmit well.

I dont really know how my post came to be an argument for you. My original post was joke for Leopold.

And my post was a joke itself. I really did not intend to cause and dischord.

I know. Well this post was great for all misunderstandings. I agrre with cwestervelt facial expressions and stuff is completly unnecessary for delivering a message.

Archived