DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favourite Dark-Side Character

Lord D

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favourite dark-side character?

Who's your favourite baddie? In this poll I think I've listed all the major bad guys in the books, though I could have missed one or two. Asmodean has been deliberately excluded as he betrayed the Shadow. All of the other Forsaken have been included, but I'm not including the gholam, who are constructs. You shouldn't pick a favourite baddie because they've been dumb; pick them either because one of their attributes appeals to your darker nature, or because you admire something clever they've done in the cause of evil, whether now or in the AoL.

Personally, I'm picking Rahvin, as he seems to be the only male Forsaken to have had much sexual fun, when he was mind-controlling Morgase. Also, he did kill Avi and Mat, even if that was unmade when Rahvin was BF'd.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lanfear.

Although she does lose a few points for being nothing more then Moridin's pet right now, for the 1st half of the series she was awesome. Powerful, capable, intimidating, sexy, slightly unhinged. She was just awesome as a bad guy.

Ishamael/Moridin. He's da boss.

In all seriousness, Ishamael always struck me as one of the most interesting Forsaken, especially involving his interactions with Rand/LTT. He also seems to be one of the only Forsaken motivated by logic and reason rather than merely greed or envy. Plus his work in the years before events of the book series have had an incredible impact on the world.

I second Mark- Lanfear.

Brilliant- she was the one who made the Bore and found a unified Source of power for both genders while working at the most prestigious place of learning in the AoL world, the Colaam Daan. Repeatedly described as the sexiest woman ever to live. Mysterious, incredibly dangerous, and devious as anything.

What more can you ask for?

It was a close call between Fain (who is just a really cool villain ) and Moridin but I chose Moridin. I find him quite an interesting character as Moridin (but not as Ishamael).

He is the only one of the bunch who does not quite fit Verin's claim that selfishness is the main attribute of a Forsaken. All the others are supremely selfish but not him. He appears to be truly dedicated to the DO and does not look for personal rewards. This comes through best in his conversation with Rand in TGS where he explains his reasons for going over to the Shadow. Quite an interesting guy.

Egwene.

Or, since she's not listed, I picked Sammael. He had the potential to be a great villain. His end was disappointingly weak.

I like the original Fain. The current Fain is a little out of hand.

I also like both Graendal and Lanfear.

The Vampire Lords and Ladies in Brian Lumley were known to have an extreme libido; it came with becoming a Vampire Lord. Their strength, speed etc, was magnified well beyond mere human, and they were very hard to completely kill. Correlating with this, they also had a non-human bloodlust, and a way beyond-human carnal lust.

I don't know why exactly but I quite liked Weiremon (spelling) the Tairen noble being unveiled as a darkfriend. I loved the idea that he decided to act as a complete, bumbling moron so that no-one would ever credit him with enough intellegence to tie his own shoelaces let alone be up to anything less than holy.

Favourite overall bad guy? Hmmm, Ishamael I guess.

For me it's a toss up:

I voted Lanfear because, as a character, I like her more. She was smart, calculated in her schemes but remaining passionate about... well, LTT really, powerful enough to be taken serious by all the Forsaken/Chosen. Also like that she did try to help Rand out, even if it was for her own selfish reasons/means to an end.

I think the best character, the one I love to hate, is easily Padan Fain. Goes from treacherous peddler that likes attention to hound of the dark one to a possessed mad man, to... I don't know what to call him, but he seems to fit the mad scientist/evil for his own reason persona in the series and Jordan has written him masterfully. I've read where people give Jordan kudos for Rand's decent into madness... well, that goes x10 for Fain.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked Semirhage. I would think her atrocities during the AoL would have made her the most feared of the Forsaken. I would call her "The Lady of Pain". All of the Forsaken, except perhaps Asmodean, committed what we would call war crimes, but Semirhage's crimes were truly appalling. As an example, she tortured a whole city to death, just because she felt like it. This is described in detail in the Guide.

Moghedien has been my favorite since she was introduced. Lately she hasn't done much, and at this point in the series I doubt there's room for her to do more, but her personality always seemed the most real to me, like a real person who'd do horrible things with access to Compulsion and T'A'R.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked Semirhage. I would think her atrocities during the AoL would have made her the most feared of the Forsaken. I would call her "The Lady of Pain". All of the Forsaken, except perhaps Asmodean, committed what we would call war crimes, but Semirhage's crimes were truly appalling. As an example, she tortured a whole city to death, just because she felt like it. This is described in detail in the Guide.

She was my second choice after Lanfear. Honestly, if I wasn't a guy and didn't have testosterone driving many of my decisions, I would probably have picked Semi over Lanfear. She's easily the most terrifying of the lot of Forsaken and had the scene in TGS where the absolutely ridiculous "spanking you is so much worse than torturing" bull**** not happened, I would've said she tied with Lanfear instead of coming second after the Daughter of the Night.

My vote: The Dark One himself.

Why? "He" has got the coolest nickname in the series. He's got a power of his own: The True Power. It's really evil and if you touch it you will become evil, too. AND HIS TERRIBLE VOICE IS REALLY LOUD. He's so devious that he has managed to fool all the Forsaken, except for Ishamael/Moridin, the suicidal Nae'blis: "YES, SERVE ME AND YOU WILL RULE THE WORLD FOREVER. OOPS, SORRY, I DESTROYED THE WORLD AND THE REST OF CREATION, TOO!"

And the idea of an existing paradox fascinates me: "The next sentence I write will be true. My last sentence was a lie!" Figure that one out :cool:

I like the bloodthirsty ladys - Mesaana, Semirhage and Graendal. They have caused Rand a lot of pain. One of the scariest moments was when Semirhage made Rand torture Min. Pure evil! But, in the end, they all turned up to be loosers. So evil and yet so week...

That´why I voted for Moridin. He is really creepy with his combination of reasoning and madness. A man who can give orders to the other forsaken and SH must be like the king of evil!

In the end I hope that he will give in to Rand or Moggy/Cyndane/Graendal and see Graendal becomming the new naeblis, but until then he will be my favourite dark side caracter.

The early books would have to go to Lanfear. I liked her obsession with Lews Therin/Rand, her plans, and pretty much all of her onscreen time. Now she is just mindtrapped.

Moridin gets my vote. Not only is he the boss, but his interactions with Rand are the best.

She was my second choice after Lanfear. Honestly, if I wasn't a guy and didn't have testosterone driving many of my decisions, I would probably have picked Semi over Lanfear. She's easily the most terrifying of the lot of Forsaken and had the scene in TGS where the absolutely ridiculous "spanking you is so much worse than torturing" bull**** not happened, I would've said she tied with Lanfear instead of coming second after the Daughter of the Night.

It was the humiliation of being treated like a child that did Semi in. Of course, Cadsuane should have thought of a much better method to completely humiliate a woman, but RJ doesn't like explicit rape scenes in WoT.

It was the humiliation of being treated like a child that did Semi in. Of course, Cadsuane should have thought of a much better method to completely humiliate a woman, but RJ doesn't like explicit rape scenes in WoT.

That would have made the scene a lot more interesting than it already was.

Archived