DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

(WH Chapter 12: Minor spolier up to here) Aviendha and the 'Famous Archer' Question

Woolhead Prime

Hello all,

Very new here, sorry for the cryptic title I am not sure if I should be stating too much in a title. Did have a scan through the posts here but as I am only on book 9 am scared of spoliers!

This has been driving me a bit mad for days now and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere on the net, I just seem to bump into Towers of Midnight discussions. Perhaps one you good people could help me out :).

When Min recognises Birgitte in 'WH: 12: A lily in Winter, Aviendha doesn't react to Mins's finding out she is the Birgitte of legend. I really don't recall Elayne ever telling Aviendha about her true identity. Min thinks Aviendha's apprehension is due to her knowing about her past. I wondered if this was because Aviendha either knows and has been told (and I missed and can't find it) or she/the Aiel generally don't pay much attention to this legend. I thought it odd that pretty much everyone in Elaynes circle have found out about her past, and this has been noted.

So by this point in the books (well now I am at chapter 27) does Aviendha know about Birgitte's past? Or perhaps are we to assume that Elyane has told her 'off camera'

Thanks very much for your time!

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned before that scene that Aviendha found out who Birgitte was and started deferring to her (I can't remember whether Birgitte took kindly to that). It's a hard thing to search for, though, so I'm not sure when that happened.

I think it happened "offscreen", but Aviendha certainly knew who Birgitte is at this point. Here's the quote I found a few chapters earlier:

WH, Ch. 10

Aviendha eyed Birgitte with a wooden-faced wariness. Since she and Elayne had adopted one another, Birgitte had adopted her, too, in way. Not as a Warder, of course, but with the same elder-sister attitude she often displayed toward Elayne. Aviendha was not quite sure what to make of it, or how to respond. Joining the tiny circle who knew who Birgitte really was certainly had not helped. She bounced between fierce determination to show that Birgitte Silverbow did not overawe her and a startling meekness, with odd stops in between.

I think it happened "offscreen", but Aviendha certainly knew who Birgitte is at this point. Here's the quote I found a few chapters earlier:

WH, Ch. 10

Aviendha eyed Birgitte with a wooden-faced wariness. Since she and Elayne had adopted one another, Birgitte had adopted her, too, in way. Not as a Warder, of course, but with the same elder-sister attitude she often displayed toward Elayne. Aviendha was not quite sure what to make of it, or how to respond. Joining the tiny circle who knew who Birgitte really was certainly had not helped. She bounced between fierce determination to show that Birgitte Silverbow did not overawe her and a startling meekness, with odd stops in between.

Props for pulling out the perfect quote there. :biggrin:

Archived