DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

EOTW: Was it REALLY all Mat's fault?

White_star

I was thinking about the part in tEOTW were Mat and Rand are doing chores for a meal & place to sleep for the night. Rand thinks most of the trouble they had was because Mat was so suspicious and unfriendly-looking. Does anyone else think Rand would be intimidating himself? If a 6'6", broad-shouldered, Aiel-looking, well muscled young man with a sword came to your door asking for work would you be intimidated? (I've always imagined him having a deep throated voice too, though smooth and gentle)

Also, I was wondering if any of the prejudice Rand encountered, was because of his Aiel features? I know most of it in Baerlon was probably because of being a downcountry folk, and being travel worn, and maybe it was because of being yet another young man on his way to or in Caemlyn but could some of the prejudice be because he looked Aiel?

I think Andorans are more likely to note his similarity to Morgase (and Tigrain, if they're old enough) than to the Aiel.

I don't know about that. The first time he meets him, Morgase's own son remarks upon his resemblance to the Aiel. I don't remember Gawyn mentioning any resemblance to the Andoran nobility.

I don't know about that. The first time he meets him, Morgase's own son remarks upon his resemblance to the Aiel. I don't remember Gawyn mentioning any resemblance to the Andoran nobility.

Well, Gawyn KNOWS that Rand can't be related to any of the major Houses. And he's worldlier than your average Andoran.

Dude, if anyone came to my door wearing a sword...

Lol, one of my younger brothers would probably strike up a conversation with him. He likes those long pointy objects. :biggrin:

I think Andorans are more likely to note his similarity to Morgase (and Tigrain, if they're old enough) than to the Aiel.

Yes, I know there are those who think that, like that cook at The Queens Blessing that thought "the young prince" "looked so much like like Tigraine" in TDR.

I guess I just figured anyone who was old enough to remember the Aiel War would be spooked if they saw him, especially if they fought in it and/or lost a family member because of it. Some people carry long grudges and I thought he might have experienced some prejudice because of it. There was definitely some in TGH at Fal'Dara (Maseema, the dungeon guard) and in Cairhein.

Didn't Gay-wen (that's how they pronounce it in the audiobooks :biggrin: ) say he'd seen a drawing or painting or something of an Aiel man, as part of his royal education? If so, it would make sense that he'd recognize an Aiel, but the average commoner in Andor wouldn't. Right?

Rand does come across as quite an imposing figure, being a huge guy with a sword and all.

But you have to admit that Mat's devil may care, scoundrel smile doesn't exactly win over the every day citizens who have no time for his shenanigans.

From re-reading a few moments ago, the Grinwell farm was the first where the reason was not Mat.

I agree, Mat was to blame for much of there problems w/ the farmers and I don't think it had anything to do with his smiles, more like his suspicious glares/behavior.

But, there was that one farm they stopped at where the wife thought they reminded her of their grandsons. After they finished the farmer said he forgot his boys were coming so they didn't have the bed they offered. He emphasized that they were "big, strong", I think that comment was directed at Rand.

Archived