DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

DM Dispatch V

Guest Egwene

Welcome the latest round-up of news from around Dragonmount. Don’t forget to PM Goldeneys with any item you might like included in the next dispatch.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRAGONMOUNT!!! And it’s not too late to join the party!! Even if you have only been a member for a short while drop by and maybe tell us what made you join this mad place.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

A special time for the Blue Ajah

Due to Maria’s recent appointment as the new Keeper for the White Tower, a new Head had to be found for the Blue Ajah. Here is a tongue in cheek statement from the new inhabitant of this position:

"I Niamh Sedai have recently taken over the Headship of the Blue Ajah (Org side). I'm hoping that my method of choice to gain the Headship won't be copied too often- we don't want the Tower to get too used to coup d'etat!"

Ok, not really. I am very lucky to have taken up this position and I'm very proud to be leading the Blues into a future age where Torture will be used if they don't obey me.

Kiara has been appointed as the new Sitter after her spectacular efforts on the new Blue offsite boards and her excellent "gifts" (Note: The Blue Ajah Head is easily bribed)

I am really excited to have taken over this position and I'm hoping to get lots of exciting projects going (Ritual Head Worship commences next month) and I hope that all of you will come and visit the Blues soon. P.S Please don't forget to bring gifts. The person who brings me Orlando Bloom covered in Chocolate will win my eternal love and devotion.

Love, Niamh Sedai, Head of the Blue Ajah

I think it is self-evident that the Blues are having a great time as always. If you are interested in joining them, I am sure that Niamh will be considering any type of chocolate... even if it doesn't cover the infamous Mr. Bloom :wink:

What’s hot on the forum today?

WoT discussions: a thread looking at Lan & Nynaeve’s relationship seems to stir up a bit of passion whilst the long running Asmodean thread is still alive and kicking.

Memory of Light: How many Trollocs in Shayol Ghul? If you know the answer, visit the board.

General Discussion: the ‘Bashing thread’ continues to be extremely popular and ‘where are you from’ has been revived after a period of rest.

Fiddlesticks: after the great success of the first werewolf game, the second one is in full swing and sign-ups for the third indicate it will be even bigger. In the meantime, the Mafia game has begun… promising to be just as riveting.

D&D board: as always there are several topics that have attracted the attention of our debating crowd. One of the latest which I have noticed on the White Tower boards as well is on the subject of banning books.

Roleplay: there are two inter division roleplays taking place at the moment. The first one, between the Wolfkin and the Black Tower, is about Mantheren and involves an Aes Sedai being crowned queen. The other is between the Aiel and Shayol Ghul and involves a resurrection of the fight between Rahvin and the Dragon Reborn.

The Big Interview

As many of you know, a couple of weeks ago saw the annual Dragon*Con in Atlanta. Several DM members attended. As always, Kathana was in charge of the WoT track. If you would like to know what it's all about, click on the link below... photos galore

Dragon*Con LINK

Nynaeve, who forever tries to straighten out the Yellow Ajah, often found in Shayol Ghul and well known for her love of RP, has agreed to tell us a little about her Dragon*Con experience.

Egwene: Hi, Nyn... first time Dragon*Con... I know you had been planning this trip for a long time. What sort of hurdles did you have to overcome, to make your dream come true?

Nynaeve: Well, money. I had to get it. Had to sell my body for a while there *LOL*

Well, actually I found a job as a security guard and worked for half a year. When I finally managed to get that over with I found myself in another pickle. An American Visa. I needed it, they were reluctant to give it. Some bribe was involved. Had to talk to people who knew some people. Then, when that failed entirely, I had to go through the tiring process. It involved being summoned to the American embassy, undergoing interviews and loads of background checking….and surprisingly enough…more money. And for some unknown reason they ended up giving me the Visa. I know, I was shocked too ;)

Egwene: Getting to Atlanta... what was your first impression of Dragon*Con?

Nynaeve: Big place. Loads of people. Too many.

Egwene: Did you meet any Dragonmount members?

Nynaeve: Yes. That was kind of the point *L* I met the lovely Kathana and her hubby Jimmy, Cheerful Dwyn, Esteban, Joe, Alin, Muirren and many more.

Egwene: I saw pictures of the parade through the streets... what was that like?

Nynaeve: That was SO weird. Hundreds of people on the street taking pictures of you. It was a very unique feeling. I know that doesn’t happen to me every day *g*

Egwene: Did you attend any of the organized events?

Nynaeve: Well I pretty much attended most of the Wheel of Time related events. I stopped by the Harry Potter track which was a grave mistake *L*….dead boring. And I went to the interview with Allan Tudyak and Summer Glau, that was an awesome experience.

Egwene: If you wouldn't mind... we'd love a link to your photobucket for Dragon*Con

Nynaeve: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/Nynaeve28/

You can find there pictures from my whole trip. At DragonCon I mostly took pictures of WoT related costumes and dragonmount people. You can see pictures from the costume competition and general ones throughout the Con in the WoT track room.

Egwene: What about the social aspect? Do people meet up after the organised events? Wild parties? Or is this the bit no one can remember??

Nynaeve: Yep, everybody gathered up after the track events were done for the day. Usually on the 10th floor but this year we’ve been kicked out of there a lot. So we just spread out to hotel rooms. We also went out to eat quite a lot on the evenings. On the last night we had a little get together at Esteban’s room and I was admitted to the secret Dcon society. I was traumatized. I’m never going back to America :P

Egwene: Any tips for anyone wanting to attend next years event?

Nynaeve: Don’t! everyone’s crazy there *L* But seriously, go. It’s a really great experience where you get to have a lot of fun and meet people. And don’t forget to bring a costume! Oh, and keep your legs away from Jimmy. He’s very friendly >.>

Egwene: I am glad you had the chance to go to D*Con. Thank you very much for sharing a little bit of the experience with us.

And that brings todays round-up to an end. A big thank you to everybody who contributed :P

:lol: Never!.... until the next time *g*

Update on the inter devision RP:

A few more details from Andular:

We are in the process of RPing the ressurecting of Mantherene. We have a Aes Sedai who will be raised Queen and the RP is taking place between the Wolfkin, Band of the Red Hand and Black Tower. The character who is playing the Queen while Aes Sedai will fall under the Freelanders since she is severing most ties with the White Tower.

If you are interested in joining in...the whole process starts the usual way, by joining the 'Dragon Reborn PSW' amongst the usergroups. Check out the Roleplay Discussion board for information on what to do next. Our resident expert on the RP ins and outs is Sirayn. If you get stuck, send her a PM.

And here is the Newbie interview of the week.

OzzieAlThor joined us on wednesday, has already posted about fifty posts and is busily starting a gender war over on the WoT boards :wink:

Egwene: OzzieAlThor, my notes tell me that you are male, married with two, undoubtedly cute, kids (may want to compare notes with Kivam: wink :) and have just finished a monumental re-read of tWoT. You mentioned in your introductory thread that you were part of DM during the long wait for CoT. What made you leave... and what made you come back?

OzzieAlThor: The long wait for Crossroads of Twilight made me leave. The series itself had seemed to be getting stagnant although Winters Heart was good. Crown of Swords and Path of Daggers were, in my view, low points in the series and not very interesting reads.

So frankly I was worried the series (and Robert Jordan) was losing steam artistically. Then we heard that NBC was *not* going to make a mini-series out of The Eye of the World. At that point I stopped coming on any kind of regular basis.

What's funny is I really hadn't though of the series (even though I own them all in paperback and hardcover) for a year and a half or so. Then I was at a local thrift store and saw Crossroads of Twilight for 3 bucks, hardcover, in perfect condition. I guess you could say the re-admission fee was the right price.

This is the only fan site I really liked back a few years ago and now that the re-read is done, this is where I decided to spend time discussing the series.

Egwene: Do you read any other fantasy books?

OzzieAlThor: I really enjoy the extended Star Wars universe. Timothy Zahn's trilogy is a classic that should be read by anyone claiming to even remotely be a Star Wars fan. The Harry Potter series is good to (although I don't know if that qualifies)

Egwene: Having seen photos from Dragon*Con there seem to be a lot of Star Wars fans about. Do you do go to any of the conventions?

OzzieAlThor: A local Anime convention called "Anime Detour" is one I go to each year. It gets about 1500 people. No sci-fi ones yet.

I am looking forward to something close to Minnesota that relates to WoT and such though.

Egwene: Are you lucky enough to know any other WoT fan in real life?

OzzieAlThor: None I haven't had to convert. I do have friends that were fans of George RR Martin and Terry Goodkind. None had read the WoT though. Even my wife is slowly becoming a fan as we are reading the story back and forth to each other out loud. With the 4 month old and such it's good for him to hear it and I figured if I was going to be a part of it, we'll read something I want.

Egwene: Wow... and there was me asking if people thought my eleven year old niece was old enough... He must be the youngest WoT 'reader' on the planet!!

OzzieAlThor: Let's just say if he marries a woman with a braid and she pulls on it a lot, he'll know what it means.

Egwene: lol..how did you put together your username? Is there any significance behind it? I have worked out that you do not live down under...

OzzieAlThor: I used to go around with the name "Lord Oz". I RPed in many e-wrestling federations (<-- as in Hulk hogan type wrestling). It's a lot like the RP boards here except it would literally be one person vs. another and whoever had the better RP post would win the "matches". My name in these places was "Lord Oz".

As soon as i was in charge of some of these "efeds" and helping run things, they decided it was easier to Call me Ozzie.

So I kept Ozzie and added AlThor because I liked this series.

Now it's what I use most everywhere.

Egwene:Do you intend to investigate the RP side here?

OzzieAlThor: Indeed. I will be checking out the different groups and seeing which group would best fit the way I like to RP. Which is generally in a comedic tone. I don't do drama well. I do however, know how to make a joke.

Egwene: well, it's been great talking to you, OzzieAlThor... I look forward to following the 'gender war' :wink: and hope you'll stay this time round!!

Dragonmount Writers Guild

As most of you will know, the Writer's Guild was recently awarded Org status. :P We asked Matalina, the driving force behind the new Org, to tell us a bit more about it.

Matalina:

The Dragonmount Writer’s Guild is a newly formed organization focusing on writing and all things to do with getting your books published. We have a World Building Project on going as well as writing exercises offered though out the month. Our objective is to provide members of Dragonmount a means to write, learn to write better and get objective feedback from members of the guild. To provide a place to maintain your copyright and first publication rights we have a private board we ask all potentially publishable works be submitted there.

You can find our website at http://dmwrite.aliciawilkerson.com. We also have a live journal community you may join (http://community.livejournal.com/dmwrite/). Come join us if you have aspirations to be a writer or even if you don’t plan to publish anything at all, we welcome all genre writers and all ages.

Our World Building Project is currently focusing on creating the mythos of the world in Religion and Gods, and the physical world itself in Geography and Climate. Religion and Gods is headed by Project Lead GoodGrief while our Geography and Climate is lead by Myth. Even if you don’t want to write, come be a creative part in creating the world in which others can write.

The Dragonmount Writer’s Guild is also collecting artwork and stories for an Anthology of works by members of Dragonmount. There is still one month left to get your submissions in. Remember your work will have been previously published and any potential publishers might frown upon that when you try to submit it to them in the future. We look forward to reading your creations and helping the research for Amyloidosis at the Mayo Clinic.

Thank you, Matalina. And if you are interested... you'll now find the Guild Board in its new location amongst the Org Boards.

Guest Egwene

Dragomount Anthology

A quick reminder... the deadline for submissions, both story as well as art, is the 31st of October.

Archived