DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"The Way of the Light" By Lothair Mantelar

Callern

As we all know, RJ used alot of real world "parallels".

The book Fog and Steel (Madoc Comadrin) might have something to do with The Art of War (?)etc.

So I wondered, is there any known real world book that inspired The Way of the Light? :whitecloak:

Personally, I would just like to read it. I just started reading Introduction to Scientology Ethics, which kind of reminded me of Mantelar's book.

You guys are confusing Mantelar's work with the excesses of an organization that claims that work as its inspiration. They're not the same thing.

Mantelar's book, as I understand it, was largely a guide on living a simple, ascetic life. The real-world correlate might be something like Apophthegmata Patrum.

The portions of his book that equate using the Power with being a Darkfriend are not entirely unjustified, given the time in which the book was written.

I was under the impression that his book didn't actually equate using the Power with being a DF, and that idea came later from other Whitecloaks. Maybe I'm wrong.

Personally, I was thinking of the book, 'The Way of the Light', as something similar to Confucian in premise, or something along the lines of the Buddhist texts that are followed by Shao Lin Monks.

The specific quote that would settle what "The Way of the Light" says about OP users comes from ToM, so I wont post it here, but if you have a copy then check out Chapter 29 pg 459.

edited to insert objectivity, and eliminate potential spoilers

Thanks. I will see if I can get my hands on whatever is posted in the thread ^^ I would like to read something, umm, different.

And about:

I was under the impression that his book didn't actually equate using the Power with being a DF, and that idea came later from other Whitecloaks. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think I remember that Mantelar said that the OP was for the Creator only, hence everyone else using it are darkfriends.

Judging by this quote from the book:

“Therefore abjure all pleasure, for goodness is a pure abstract, a perfect crystalline ideal which is obscured by base emotion. Pamper not the flesh. Flesh is weak but spirit is strong; flesh is useless where spirit is strong. Right thought is drowned in sensation, and right action hindered by passions. Take all joy from rightness, and rightness only.”

I'd have to agree with Min that "It seemed to be dry nonsense." :biggrin:

Archived