DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Similarities Between WOT and Other Fantasies

I Love Semirhage

Since it's come up repeatedly with people comparing WOT to various other things, I thought I'd make a whole separate thread for it.

Anyway, the bit I just noticed was an episode from the most recent series of Doctor Who, 'The Satan Pit.' The story is about Satan himself, (or rather the Devil creature that really existed, and all the myths of Satan-type figures in religions and mythology come from him), who was imprisoned by an ancient civilisation before the universe began. There are a group of humans on an asteroid, drilling down to a power source buried 10 miles underground, unaware that they are drilling into the ancient prison. As the drill gets closer, things start going weird on their space base, the computer says things like 'He is awake,' and the servant race randomly come out with 'The Beast and His armies shall rise from the pit and make war with God.'

As well as it being a truly awesome episode, and very thought provoking too, I noticed certain similarities with the WOT back story: The Dark One imprisoned long ago, the seal slowly weakening and the effects being gradually felt by the world etc.

Come to think of it, The Tamuli has a rather similar back story with Kael, the opposite of Bhelliom, the Creator, banished before the world was finished being made, now brought back.

Just something I was thinking about!

ILS

Archived