A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which World do you choose?

I Am The Storm

Tune ir no Tune  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Tune ir no Tune

• Tune
    • No tune

Regular old real life is where I think I'll stay. Though Harry Potter, okay stay with me, you can have magic and technology. Narnia, No. Middle Earth, only if I can hang with the Elves and just visit the shire. Wheel World, tempting, but probably only during the spring and fall, and only if I can channel.

But, if you could come up with some kind of portal that would enable one to jump around and have threads in all the worlds, that would tempt me.

Hmm, a husband in every land, interesting.

I chose Randland, and not just because this is a WoT forum. Real life is ok, but sometimes I just hate modernisation and the community I live in.

Harry Potter is rather stupid. You hardly know anything about it, and its the same as real life if you're not a wizard. (and if you are, it's even stupider, cause you are WAY too powerful)

Narnia is nice, and if it weren't for Randland it would be top. It is cool with a proper sense of monarchy. There are three (or four?) prominent nations, with their own rulers and battles. But three is a bit too few for me, and the politics/battles are shallow, as most of the books focus on one or a few particular characters.

LotR is also good. Geography is great, history is deep and races are well-defined. However, life there would be tough. I mean, life there is a never-ending battle of good vs evil. Simarrilion, LotR and Hobbit full of little battles, and all of them (except Hobbit) are major quests on the shoulders of a few people.

As for Randland, it has a good, sensible history. Not as good as LotR, but adequate, with major wars, heroes and societies. Politics are deep, with numerous nations and groups for battles, cultures and armies. There is a good landscape, with mountain ranges, peninsulas and islands. Various other non-relevent characters also make the whole world more realistic and inhabitable.

Seriously, the first time you guys have diarrhea from bad water without good bathroom facilities, or a good shower, you'll be ready to come back to modern civilization. This is disgusting I know, but the hershey squirts on a bamboo commode over stagnant water during monsoon season at night in the jungle is NOT a pleasant experience.

Randland.

I would be able to channel and would become a Green male ajah, binding 3 lovely, hot chicks that do my bidding.

And ofcourse I would get the opportunity of killing some of the most annoying characters in the world:

Elayne and Egwene spring to mind.

Seriously, the first time you guys have diarrhea from bad water without good bathroom facilities, or a good shower, you'll be ready to come back to modern civilization. This is disgusting I know, but the hershey squirts on a bamboo commode over stagnant water during monsoon season at night in the jungle is NOT a pleasant experience.

Maybe, but if you live close to aes sedai then think of the health care...

And if you are seanchan then think of the da'covale. :shock:

I'll take the modern day too. I like my technological comforts and all of us take them for granted too much.

I haven't "had the hershey squirts over bamboo", but I have lived in New Orleans and had to try to live through hurricane damage.

First, you're uncomfortable cause you have no Air Conditioning and have to read by flashlight. Then the batteries die and you have to use candles. Then the bathrooms won't flush clean water. Then you realize your car needs gas, but the gas stations don't pump without power either. Then the food in your refrigerator and Freezer starts to go bad and smell up your kitchen leaving you with little to nothing to eat and without gas in your car, you've got no way to get more. And this doesn't include any flood damage. I'm not even going to start describing those "pleasantries".

Randland is great if you can channel, but only a few thousand of the millions of people there can do this. So chances are, you're outta luck and just living the same hard life as those living in Middle Earth.

Taking all this in, I guess Potter-land is just "nowadays" with magic. I'd choose Potter-land, just for a change, but I know full well I wouldn't last long without technology.

I can't choose. But I think everyone basising their decisions on knowing what technology is like is causes difficulties. Perhaps think of it as never having the knowledge of technology and then decide.

Current politics here in the US make it difficult for me to choose modern day. I think living before modern day when there were so many possibilities of discovery, really BIG things, not just improvements on what we have already, would be fabulous. I think it would be nice to be in research in Randland.

The world chosen would have to depend on our ability to choose our place in it. If i wasn't able to choose and just had to be a "peon", i'd take our world. I know how to deal with being a nobody here. If i could choose my position, i would totally choose H.P., I mean being a wizard would be almost as cool as being an Asha'man, and is much much less dangerous. Plus, i like hot showers and toilet paper.

Is a shame that when it comes down to it, i'd probably choose real life...of course the idea of the 'randland' is compelling and romantic, but the reality really would be a hard life. Sure if i was powerful and could channel id say yeah, but then what if the red ajah or the seachan get you?

Lord of the Rings annoys me. I mean, Gandalf the Grey, mighty wizard, never uses magic. Why not? Gandalf should have been throwing fireballs and bolts of lightening about, he should have taken on the Urak-Hai armies himself! Fair enough, he kills that Balrog which i think was a poor battle (he used a sword! swords dont suit wizards unless your reading sword of truth and richards got that sword for another reason anyway).

Randland would be good if I was ta'veren and could channel, and i had the wolfbrother thing, and i was a dreamer and i had mins visions.

Actually, I wouldn't mind living as a farmer or gleeman in Randland. Sure, I might miss technology, but heck, if you were born and bred there, you wouldn't even known what a flush is. I don't care whether I'm and Aes Sedai dealing with stupid WT rules or some noble in stinky Tear or just a Tuatha'an running round the place. It's all rather pleasant to me, without being too airy-fairy too.

Archived