DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Recipe for Disaster

Wayward_fool

The soft shine of evening sun shone in through the windows and illuminated the bedroom of Regalia Frantelle. The Blue sister sat at her bureau, her mind working furiously on the reports before her. She had been up most of the previous night. Mimi had been quite sure that her theory was right. The Yellow Eyes and Ears were being targeted and for some reason the murders were not being reported to the authorities. That only meant that someone in power was keeping it hushed. That part, Regalia had not yet figured out. It was disconcerting. Not many people had the power to do that.

She rose gracefully and left her room, heading towards a part of the Tower she seldom visited, but wish she did. It was not common for Blue sisters to be seen with the Yellows due to some misunderstanding that happened centuries ago. That was part of the Ajah education that Regalia disliked. The Blue Ajah was a bit at odds with the White and Yellow over something in Altara a hundred years before. An incident so ancient that Regalia had hardly understood the reasoning behind it. For all her years as a Novice and Accepted, she never imagined dissention in the White Tower itself. And part of her cause was to mend the rift. Having a best friend who was a Yellow helped. Even if neither was very high in their respective Ajahs.

The corridor Regalia approached was decorated with huge tapestries in dizzying colors. Sculptures adorned the niches in the walls and chandeliers ornamented with leaves and flowers hung low. The Yellows were known for being flamboyant and clearly lived up to the name. Sisters dressed mostly in Yellow passed Regalia and either smiled in greeting or nodded. Some ignored her altogether. Enmity was not easily forgotten. And even if most knew only vaguely why the Blues were not allies, they held on to it like a personal identity. Regalia despaired at such foolishness, but it had been ingrained in the Aes Sedai from the moment they gained the shawl and most would not willingly let go.

She finally reached the room she had been looking for and knocked firmly on the age darkened wooden door.

"Come in." A voice chimed from within.

Regalia was relieved Amadine wasn't at the Infirmary again. The Yellows tended to stay for hours at the Infirmary and her friend was wonderful, but no different. It was hard to change the world.

"Amadine." Regalia said as she opened the door.

"Ray-ray!" Her friend brightened up when she saw the Blue and rushed forward to embrace her.

"Good seeing you too." Regalia hugged back every bit as enthusiastically. "But I am not here for a social visit." Amadine's expression of intrigue made Regalia smile even wider. Few things Amadine did wouldn't. They really were very close. But the smile dropped soon enough.

Regalia took a deep breath. It was not going to be pleasant. "Kisharndra Munir. Pravinda Al'ran. Viday Runkmini. Unita Ragavas. Argand Janis. Mona Crawfer. Tiatana Bodrin. Bokiwa Stang. Do these names mean anything to you?" But Regalia did not need to wait for a reply. Her friend's face became a mask of serenity. Denial was as good a confirmation as any. " All murdered over the last three months. Normally I would not have picked up on it. But the Blue Eyes and Ears and my personal ones as well have started to sound frantic. Four of them had been village Healers, and now their respective villages are suffering from a lack of a Healer. I, myself have had to make trips down there to Heal. Emergencies that no herb or potion could undo. And have had more bump ins with your Ajah sisters in the last three months than I have had over the last year. Unita Ragavas' death was by no means of knife or poison. I Delved her body, since she had been one of most frequent ones. Intrigued? I have more. My Eyes and Ears have reported that nothing from their homes were stolen. Nor ransacked. And the targets were too specific for coincidence. All women. All mothers. All in some way having been seen visited by Yellow Sisters." Regalia looked directly at her friend. "All Eyes and Ears of the Yellow Ajah."

She paused. Waiting for her friend to respond. But she didn't need a confirmation. She knew Amadine well enough to read her body language. She had been right. Someone was killing the Eyes and Ears of the Yellow. She just wished she knew who and why. Either way, this had to stop. Now.

Amadine moved from the bed chamber of her suite of rooms, through the sitting room and into the study which looked out onto the gardens many floors below. She went to the window bow of herbs she had growing there. Plucking out a few weeds just sprouting she hummed to herself as she worked. Amadine was meticulous when it came to caring for her herbs. Here was Chainleaf, perfect for settling a queasy stomach when brewed to a tea; there was Andilay, the roots of which were often used to provide stamina - relieving sore muscles and clearing the head, and here, Feverbane. Aptly named Amadine had always thought, for the fact that it could banish a fever.

When she was down she moved to the washbowl set on an ornate timber hallstand, the reddish timber gave off a slight gleam in the fading afternoon light. It had been crafted by a Master Craftsman some fifty years before had and gifted to Amadine after she had Healed five of his nine children from White Shakes.

Washing her hands in the cool water then drying them on a fresh towel Amadine replaced the towel, then walked back into her sitting room and went to make a fresh pot of mint tea. As she finished the tea there was a knock on her door. She was not expecting anyone and a slight frown furrowed her forehead. “Come” she spoke and turned to watch the door open.

“Amadine” Regalia smiled as she entered the rooms and closed the door behind her.

Amadine smiled broadly at her closest friend, “Ray-ray!” she moved in a most un-Aes Sedai-like manner across the room and embraced her lifelong friend.

"Good seeing you too." Regalia replied hugging her back. "But I am not here for a social visit."

Amadine looked up and felt her eyebrow arch, it always did when she was intrigued... or annoyed.

"Kisharndra Munir. Pravinda Al'ran. Viday Runkmini. Unita Ragavas. Argand Janis. Mona Crawfer. Tiatana Bodrin. Bokiwa Stang. Do these names mean anything to you?"

Amadine flinched inwardly at the names and smoothed her face to a mask of Aes Sedai calm. How did Regalia know those names?

"All murdered over the last three months. Normally I would not have picked up on it. But the Blue Eyes and Ears and my personal ones as well have started to sound frantic. Four of them had been village Healers, and now their respective villages are suffering from a lack of a Healer. I, myself have had to make trips down there to Heal. Emergencies that neither herb, nor potion could undo. And have had more bump-ins with your Ajah sisters in the last three months than I have had over the last year. Unita Ragavas' death was by no means of knife or poison. I Delved her body, since she had been one of most frequent ones.” Regalia paused, “Intrigued? I have more.”

Amadine felt slightly sick. She was aware of the situation. She motioned Regalia to sit and brought the tea over and sat it on the low table. She poured the tea and Regalia took a sip before continuing, “My Eyes and Ears have reported that nothing from their homes was stolen. Nor ransacked. And the targets were too specific for coincidence. All women. All mothers. All in some way having been seen visited by Yellow Sisters."

Regalia looked directly at her Amadine. "All Eyes and Ears of the Yellow Ajah." she finished.

“I...” Amadine began carefully, “am aware of this Ray. Three of those you named, Pravinda, Mona and Bokiwa, I recruited for the network myself.” She should not be talking to Regalia about these matters she knew, Camigwen had begun discussing the murders after the third Wise Woman had died. “And there are two more, Felicita Carewen, from Aringill and Jecarta Mindwyn from a small village just outside Cairhien.”

Regalia’s eyebrows rose, “They were personal contacts of mine.” Amadine said an offhand way, knowing Ray-ray would understand her meaning immediately. They had been finishing each other’s sentences for decades now, some things the pair of them just knew. “I got word of Jecarta just this morning.”

“Now Regalia love, tell me again how you came by this knowledge of the Yellow Ajah’s Network.” Amadine looked pointedly at her old friend, “And none of the hedging you do so well either mind.” She said in mock severity, a slight laugh escaped her lips but it faded as Regalia began to speak.

Amadine al’Varine

Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah

• 2 weeks later...

Regalia marvelled at her sister's strength. They had been close friends, often sharing everything about their lives with each other. But something as severe as this seemed quite unreal. Still, being Aes Sedai, there was bound to be danger at every turn. But Regalia had always thought of danger as synonymous with the Blues or the Greens or even the Reds. But the Yellows seemed sedentary. But she sensed the steel in Amadine, and knew that her closest friend in the Tower was no less an Aes Sedai than any Battle Ajah sister.

"I honestly could not have confirmed it without you. I only said it to my best of knowledge." Regalia sighed. "I don't understand how you could not weep at the loss. I would had been devastated to lose any of my personal contacts and you have lost so many in the past month. I admire you, Amadine, for that and so many other things." She gave her sister a quick peck on the cheek. "Thank you for trusting me with this knowledge. I know Camigwen would have requested that noone outside the Ajah know. But I think this has repercussions that are far reaching. Nevermind the fact that even for a fellow Aes Sedai, I would not have known who the contacts of your Ajah were. Which means... only Yellow sisters would have known who they were, and only Yellow sisters would have had the opportunity to initiate these murders, for they are murders." Regalia weeped inwardly looking at the look of horror on her sister's face. Be brave, my love. She did not want to say the words. But she had to. For the sake of the White Tower.

"Yes Amadine, you have the Black Ajah amongst your Yellow sisters." Even saying the words made Regalia want to spew her breakfast across the floor. It was a wonder her face managed to stay serene at all.