DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

a thought - the Nym

FainsLeftFoot

I saw in another thread the mention that the Nym is a very old soul. Could one of the mains become the new nym? My thought is maybe this will be perrin? After all he is, as some have interpreted by some from the foresaken prochecies, supposed to die.

Any thoughts on this? I would throw up a quote but I am having trouble with no books until my moving boxes arrive.

I saw in another thread the mention that the Nym is a very old soul. Could one of the mains become the new nym? My thought is maybe this will be perrin? After all he is, as some have interpreted by some from the foresaken prochecies, supposed to die.

Any thoughts on this? I would throw up a quote but I am having trouble with no books until my moving boxes arrive.

If the nym are to be reborn (I don't think so) then they will be born from the Ogier, and the best guess If it were to happen (I don't think so) would be Elder Hamman.

If the nym are to be reborn (I don't think so) then they will be born from the Ogier, and the best guess If it were to happen (I don't think so) would be Elder Hamman.

the nym were built just like shadow spawn weren't they, they didn't exist until the aes sedai made them.

I always thought they would be back but due to the Tinkers and the song. Without risking too much in the way of spoilers for people, looking at the history of the Tinks’ it is quite possible that “growing” a nym could be an old talent, a talent that may require the song. Much like in the first book how the Old Blood is still in Two Rivers. Mat speaking old tongue because of it and all. I do not think it a stretch to think that the tinkers have their own old blood. RJ invested a lot into the tinkers, their history and their story for them to not have a roll in the last battle. I would site more but I am really unsure on the whole spoiler line and I do not want to cross/ruin anything for any one.

Not impossible, I believe that the majority of the series consists of application of Will, and perhaps what is missing is the Will to engage with nature. Loial has it, and that is why he is fighting against opening the book of translation, so perhaps Loial has the talent for tree singing because he chooses too (In TFoH when LTT says to rand "we always set our own limits" or something like that). Perhaps the ogier once they once again chose to be a part of the world will be able to sing, with the tinks and find the song together and that is how the nym are born. Who knows? the nym are enigma's, even in the ring memories there is only one nym, and it's the greenman.

I don't think the nym will be making a comeback though. It is a memory of the past, and to tell the truth I'm not a big fan of ToL. The Aiel were basically slaves to the aes sedai, I don't like that paradaigm, I think it's why Rand is so, well, somewhat, casual about the way the seanchan treat people. There is peace, that is all that matters. I disagree.

Wotmania/Dragonmount Q&A - 9 December 2002

Q: How does the idea of souls apply to constructs such as Nym and Trollocs? Could either of them be reborn?

RJ: To whoever put this one forward, this is one of the best questions I've ever gotten! Nym and Trollocs both have souls, and either could be reborn, but since Nym were a pure construct (i.e. each of them was individually made, like hand-crafting) a Nym would not be reborn as a Nym. You might say that a Nym's soul was borrowed temporarily from the supply of souls awaiting rebirth. A Trolloc, however, bears a twisted, or corrupted soul, and would be reborn as a Trolloc. Though frankly, a Trolloc's soul is such a pitiful thing, it hardly seems worth calling a soul.

I always thought they would be back but due to the Tinkers and the song. Without risking too much in the way of spoilers for people, looking at the history of the Tinks’ it is quite possible that “growing” a nym could be an old talent, a talent that may require the song. Much like in the first book how the Old Blood is still in Two Rivers. Mat speaking old tongue because of it and all. I do not think it a stretch to think that the tinkers have their own old blood. RJ invested a lot into the tinkers, their history and their story for them to not have a roll in the last battle. I would site more but I am really unsure on the whole spoiler line and I do not want to cross/ruin anything for any one.

Racial hygiene 101. The purer the blood the better.

I honestly find this whole obsession concerning "old blood" and purity to be downright bizarre.

I honestly find this whole obsession concerning "old blood" and purity to be downright bizarre.

You lost me a bit here. I don't think its about the blood being PURE but rather the blood being there at all. Something of an autonomic response or an innate ability tied to the genetic code of the ‘tinkers.’

You lost me a bit here. I don't think its about the blood being PURE but rather the blood being there at all. Something of an autonomic response or an innate ability tied to the genetic code of the ‘tinkers.’

Sounds like eugenics to me.

Archived