DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The peace of the dragon.

Monte

At the end of ToM, Rand is about to finally go and meet with the monarchs of the world, as he put it to the borderlanders. Here he is going to offer them a price for him fighting at Shayol Gul. And this price is clearly (to me, anyways), going to be the Peace of the Dragon, seen broken by Aviendha's future visions of the Aiel. We know this peace is not going to include the Seanchan anyways, but this is going to be very important in Memory of Light. What will Aviendha do with this knowledge? It was incredibly sad to see that the world, as seen by Aviendha, will end up blanketed in events almost as bad as the shadow itself in such a short time after the Last Battle, especially after all the sacrifices the characters in WoT are going through.

A remnant of a remnant can be saved, and the Wise Ones intend to make that remnant as large as possible. The remnant I saw in Aviendha's first sequence looked pretty damn small to me. Aviendha must change this, change the destiny of her four children...how will this play out in the last book? Discuss!

As far as the remnant of a remnant, I always figured this to be the Tinkers since they are what makes Aiel in the AoL (Way of the Leaf) and all the other Aiel will be basically eradicated. I am most likely in the minority here in thinking that Avi shows up too late to make Rand include the Aiel in the Dragon's Peace and thus sealing the fate of the Aiel. The Tinkers become the Jenn Aiel in Seanchan controlled lands as they have stopped traveling and started to setup villages, thus fulfilling both the 'remnant of a remnant" and "he will destroy you" in the Prophecies of Rhuidean.

As for the Dragon's Peace, I thought the Seanchan would have to be included in that but after further thought, I don't think they will be included since they won't be at the FoM meeting. I figured the Dragon's Peace would be between the Randlanders and the Seanchan thus alienating the Aiel but I am not so sure anymore.

I think we will all be surprised by the twists with Dragon peace, even will there be one??!! Atack on Caemlyn and impeding atack on TV who knows how tides might turm!? Maybe Seanchan will be part of the Light forces! And I cant see Aiel ignored in all this! I like those guys too much! :)

As far as the remnant of a remnant, I always figured this to be the Tinkers since they are what makes Aiel in the AoL (Way of the Leaf) and all the other Aiel will be basically eradicated.

But the prophecy says Rand will save a remnant of a remnant. How has he saved the Tinkers? He has to save a portion of the people the prophecy was given to or it doesn't make any sense. Plus in the AoL the Aiel seemed to be a racial group in addition to following the Way of the Leaf. While the Tinkers still follow the Way they no longer have any Aiel blood. Since I love the Aiel and am not a fan of pacifism, I will throw up in my mouth a little if the Tinkers are the only ones that are saved.

And the Glory of the Light did shine upon him.

And the Peace of the Light did he give men.

Binding nations to him. Making one of many.

Yet the shards of hearts did give wounds.

And what was once did come again

--in fire and in storm

splitting all in twain.

For his peace ...

--for his peace ...

... was the peace ...

... was the peace ...

... of the sword.

--from "Glory of the Dragon"

composed by Meane sol Ahelle, the Fourth

Age.

Suggestive, no?

I *am* a fan of pacifism, personally, but I also do not think that the Tinkers are a remnant of the Aiel.

And the Peace of the Light did he give men.

Binding nations to him. Making one of many.

Yet the shards of hearts did give wounds.

And what was once did come again

--in fire and in storm

splitting all in twain.

For his peace ...

--for his peace ...

... was the peace ...

... was the peace ...

... of the sword.

--from "Glory of the Dragon"

composed by Meane sol Ahelle, the Fourth

Age.

Suggestive, no?

I *am* a fan of pacifism, personally, but I also do not think that the Tinkers are a remnant of the Aiel.

Suggestive yes, but making one of many doesn't necessarily mean making one of all. Will the Seanchan be included? And the Aiel? Aviendha's vision suggests that, rereading it, indeed it will, and Aviendha's children and grandchildren will be the manipulative ones to cause this truce to break, throwing the Aiel into ruin.

Suggestive yes, but making one of many doesn't necessarily mean making one of all. Will the Seanchan be included? And the Aiel? Aviendha's vision suggests that, rereading it, indeed it will, and Aviendha's children and grandchildren will be the manipulative ones to cause this truce to break, throwing the Aiel into ruin.

Sure, I didn't mean that it suggested anything specific, just that it was interesting in light of revelations about the Peace of the Dragon.

I predict that we won't get any clear judgement on whether or not the future happens the same way Aviendha saw it. Most likely both possibilities will be left open, for Aviendha being able to change the future for the better and for it happening the exact same way as in her vision.

He didn't exactly save the Shaido though, nor have the Tinkers benefitted from him. The Aiel seem to receive more from the prophecies, regarding blood and destruction etc

I won't exactly be surprised if the Dragon's Peace is ruined later (no matter what utopia we might wish for) the 4th Age quote suggests likely, since the peace of the sword I would generally take to mean the price for salvation (he enforces peace through might and power).

I do hope that Avi does play the part in shaping the Aiel destiny away from the future visions, but all the hints seem to be in aMoL. Perhaps the Rhuidean Aiel are the remnant, or they become police or whatever, Arad Doman seems to be theirs in the future too.

He didn't exactly save the Shaido though

I think the prophecy is meant to be ironic. The Shaido oppose him from the start, and yet they end up being the Aiel that are "saved." They are "saved" because they will be the only ones that end up holding true to the old Aiel beliefs.

I think the prophecy is meant to be ironic. The Shaido oppose him from the start, and yet they end up being the Aiel that are "saved." They are "saved" because they will be the only ones that end up holding true to the old Aiel beliefs.

Which ways have they held true to? They no longer follow either the Way or ji-e-toh.

Which ways have they held true to? They no longer follow either the Way or ji-e-toh.

For the Shaido as a whole, that's true, but most of the Shaido have been killed by now or otherwise split up. In conrast to Sevanna, Couladin, etc., I think that the remnant of Shaido returning to the Wsaste will follow ji-e-toh or something similar; even if it's not exactly ji-e-toh, they will remain warlike, etc. Reference Therava's conversation about going to the Waste -- I think it's in Knife of Dreams.

Archived