DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Channeling at Shayol Ghul

Mr_Fahrenheit

So here's a thought. It's clearly established in the books mythos that you can't channel at Shayol Ghul. Through various Dark One disciplinary shenannigans. So how on earth is Rand planning to break the seals and weave I;m assuming some sort of solution. And, even if his blood is enough according to some theories he still has to get there, and then deal with Shaidar Haran. I'm guessing some sort of distraction of the DO or Shaidar Haran.

The DO is probably prepared for a suprise attack as it happened last time.

Anything to contribute on how you think Rand will deal with this?

He has some sort of connection with Morridin that originated from their balefire touching. This bond has made morridin's hand weaker (The one that Rand lost) and made Rand feel as if the hand had not been severed. This unique bond also granted Rand with the ability to channel The True Power as well as the Source.

So maybe he will somehow channel through Morridin.

Or, maybe it takes both saidar and saidin combined to break through the barrier and that's why Therin failed without the tower and why Rand has to bring two women with him next time.

That is a possibility I've been considering. 'The three shall be one' As per the prophecy.

The TP holds back the DO so saidin and saidar weave a hole to the bore. And assuming that they can do it quick enough before the DO rescinds Morridins use of the TP, this stopping Rand, or the connection between the DO and morridin is too strong. Then they just have to get there with limited channeling.

This goes along with one general line of theories people have. But there are others. Can anyone think of any other ways according to other theories that Rand can do this?

Thanks naked Frog.

So here's a thought. It's clearly established in the books mythos that you can't channel at Shayol Ghul. Through various Dark One disciplinary shenannigans. So how on earth is Rand planning to break the seals and weave I;m assuming some sort of solution. And, even if his blood is enough according to some theories he still has to get there, and then deal with Shaidar Haran. I'm guessing some sort of distraction of the DO or Shaidar Haran.

The DO is probably prepared for a suprise attack as it happened last time.

Anything to contribute on how you think Rand will deal with this?

I thought it was only the TP that "would incinerate the wielder near Shayol Ghul" (i forget the real quote)?

I seem to recall the author saying that it was not so much impossible to channel in Shayol Ghul as was just that it would be a bad idea as it would anger the Dark One. Although he may have been referring to simply holding the power in the Dark One's presence making him suspicious, of course I may have mixed up what he said I guess I should look to see if I can find where he said it.

EDIT:

Robert Jordan Answers:It is a matter of the Dark One consciously acting, though interactions between the One Power and him, the source of the True Power, can be unpredictable. The Dark One is not pleasant. He is also highly distrustful. He…dislikes…things that happen outside his control or not at his order. Call him the ur-control freak. Combine these two facts, and anyone channeling in the Pit of Doom without permission can expect swift punishment on the assumption that failure to ask permission means you intend to do something he won't like. It isn't that he believes anyone can harm him, just that he is in charge, and your failure to ask permission, your presumed intention to do something he wouldn't like, means that your faithfulness quotient has just suffered a severe downturn. Myself, I'd sell you short in a skinny minute.
I managed to find it at the Thirteenth Depository.

Could have something to do with the technology used in the AoL.

It was a technology based on channeling and Shayol Ghul, according to a Demandred POV I believe, is the only place left that the technology still works.

Possible that there's still an AoL power source there and channeling would cause a feedback.

I dunno, just spit ballin here.

Week 9 Question: We've read in the Forsaken's POVs that channeling in the Pit of Doom would have some...unpleasant...effects. Is this related to the nature of the opposition of the One Power to the True Power or is it the Dark One consciously acting against the channeler? If so, why should the Dark One care?

Robert Jordan Answers:It is a matter of the Dark One consciously acting, though interactions between the One Power and him, the source of the True Power, can be unpredictable. The Dark One is not pleasant. He is also highly distrustful. He…dislikes…things that happen outside his control or not at his order. Call him the ur-control freak. Combine these two facts, and anyone channeling in the Pit of Doom without permission can expect swift punishment on the assumption that failure to ask permission means you intend to do something he won't like. It isn't that he believes anyone can harm him, just that he is in charge, and your failure to ask permission, your presumed intention to do something he wouldn't like, means that your faithfulness quotient has just suffered a severe downturn. Myself, I'd sell you short in a skinny minute.

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/tor-questions-of-week.html

Week 9 Question: We've read in the Forsaken's POVs that channeling in the Pit of Doom would have some...unpleasant...effects. Is this related to the nature of the opposition of the One Power to the True Power or is it the Dark One consciously acting against the channeler? If so, why should the Dark One care?

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/tor-questions-of-week.html

Well...that settles that one :biggrin:

Yeah I just remembered Shaidar Hatan stopping some of the forsaken channeling in a similar way to stilling. And really would expect the DO to do the same to Rand and co. Unless Rand/the three hold them off while others seal the bore.

I thought it was only the TP that "would incinerate the wielder near Shayol Ghul" (i forget the real quote)?

I forgot about that. This is true innit? Cause that puts Rands TP use to rest. But I'm fairly sure Shaidar Haran and Morridin used TP at Shayol Ghul. So rand might be able to.

Oh and BTW I didn't mean that it was impossible to channel. Rather that the DO would stop you. Unless you can distract him somehow.

Archived