DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Rasheta Ardashir

What's the world coming too?

So when I get to school early I hang out in the school library. I LOVE being in the library, I get to read books till class starts what could be better. Generally I park it in the history section and go from there. Well today I walked out of the library with three books. I was struggling to get them all into my backpack and these two boys, saw me, saw that I couldn't move quickly and was attempting to put things into my bag and ran into me. Sending me to the floor and the books to the ground. THEY DIDN"T EVEN STOP!!!! What the heck is the world coming too! When I was a child I was taught you walk around people or if you run into someone you stop and help them.

While I was in the library I had no less then three people come up and ask if I was actually going to read the three books I had. I was like...umm yes. They were shocked. Does the world have illiterate people in it? What's with the lack of love for books?

My parents did their best to teach me that manners never go out of style. While I don't subscribe much to 'chivalry' in the modern age (I got it into my head that it's condescending - don't ask. *laughs*), please and thank you and helping people out should always be in the forefront of other peoples' heads. I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience with ill-behaved people. *hugs*

As for reading... eesh. I had people stopping me at my old military job asking me how many books a week I read. As if reading were some amazingly strange thing to do, as if it was antiquated and novel. I'd do my best to politely answer, but really - if you had to pick a book or talking about the latest trash on TV, what would you pick? Heinlein beats Kardashians, Jordan beats Survivor, and anything beats listening to small-egoed ninnies wailing on about their overpriced junkmobile. Though nothing can beat having a snigger over toilet-n'-bit humor - I STILL remember a conversation about meat curtains with some fondness. :biggrin:

but really - if you had to pick a book or talking about the latest trash on TV, what would you pick?

Book every time. I read a lot, although usually not actual novels these days because I have to read a bit before bed and so I can't read a novel because i'll be up all night finishing it. LOL So I tend to read manga before bed because it takes me like 15 to read it and i'm done and its sleep time. I can't say they have much in the way of substance, but i've picked up a book on the bhagavad gita and am reading that. Its kind of hard core though so I usually read it before bed because I can stop after a few pages. *laughs*

I don't have cable so I can't watch Tv anyway. I usually have movies on as background noise but i'm usually doing other things to it. I'm not really paying attention. Unless its historical in nature. Yeah i'm bad that way. LOL So if people start talking TV I get lost pretty quick. I still don't know what the big deal is about the show True Blood. I've read the books the show is based off but that's about it. I remember not caring that much for them. *laughs* When it comes to books i'm hard to please apparently.

As to the children who ran into me...well I think its a teenage thing. No offense mature teenagers. Seriously though the kids at my school just don't care. Most of them are high schoolers with rich parents who are so snobby you can see them walking with there noses in the air. So I guess I shouldn't be shocked that I had people run into me. Come on though...seriously just walk around its not that hard.

I've been told to watch 'Idiocracy'. Though I'm slightly afraid too because after reading the blurb about it, I'm afraid I will lose all faith in humanity.

Rasheta, people who are snobby and walk around with their noses in the air, we Brits refer to them as toffee-nosed twats. I have found it to be a handy phrase.:biggrin:

I've been told to watch 'Idiocracy'. Though I'm slightly afraid too because after reading the blurb about it, I'm afraid I will lose all faith in humanity.

Rasheta, people who are snobby and walk around with their noses in the air, we Brits refer to them as toffee-nosed twats. I have found it to be a handy phrase.:biggrin:

I saw that. It is truly scary.

Sorry to hear that happened. When I moved from New York to Riverside California for a year I was once reading outside at lunch. A guy from work came up to me and actually said "Oh my God...you read?" with dead seriousness and curiosity. :P

I think people are so shocked that people read books, because the world is so automated now. You can even read books on a computer now. Which I don't do because that's just too much staring at a computer screen.

Although I have a friend that loves his kindle but I just can't do it.

The e-ink in Kindle is supposed to be very user friendly, but I've not been able to verify this yet. My friend Marie has one, but it's always off on an adventure when she comes to see us; last time, it was hiding out in Leeds! It drives me batty that e-books cost nearly the same as paper books though, and I don't travel enough to consider it a justifiable expense... so I guess I'll just have to keep huffing my lovely paper and silverfish. ^__^

I have an E-Ink Nook and I will say that it really looks like they've stuffed a page of a book in there. It really baffled me when I first saw it in the stores. It doesn't really feel so much like you're reading at a computer like the backlit LED Ebook readers do.

But yeah, sometimes I'm really surprised at how little people read nowadays.

Comedian Bill Hicks saw all this coming back in the 90s. To quote him: "I was sitting in the Waffle House reading a book when the trucker behind me turns around and says 'Well, well, looks like we got ourselves a reader!' And the waitress comes up and says 'What you readin' for?' To which I say, 'Ah gee, maybe so I don't end up as a Waffle House waitress.' "

I can't do the e-Readers. I need the solid form of an actual book to read, I don't have to charge them up to read them and then there's the smell.

I'd lose an e-book the moment I got it. I have the kindle app on my cellphone though.

But I also sometimes wonder what the world is coming to. I was raised very strictly when it comes to manners (by my grandparents who are german and grew up in the war). So I will say Sir and Ma'am to people older than me and in german I will use the honorific you (if you can call it that) when talking to my elders. And even so if I see someone struggling, I will offer to help them and it saddens me to see how many people are genuinely surprised when you offer to help them.

On the topic of being illiterate... I HATE it when you ask someone about a book that has also been filmed as a movie and they start on his extreme mindless chatter about the movie.. It's just so infuriating.

But I see exactly how the youth these days doesn't read and it makes me sad, I'm told that "I eat dictionaries for breakfast" because I am always reading or when I'm not I have a book near me. And that is just the beginning. In addition to losing the ability to read a book and enjoy it, kids lose the ability to spell because of netspeak and sms language. It's sad :(

kids lose the ability to spell because of netspeak and sms language. It's sad :(

Oh my yes! That is annoying, working in a writing center at school and seeing a lot of papers. Its hard for me to read some of them because the people just write it in net speak or whatever. For example I had a paper the other day that had the opening line. "imo the world is a more mannerless place, bc..." etc etc. I was like...ummm you have to spell out imo and because (bc). The person in question was like I DO! *head desk*

Hola, Tynaal! :) I know what you mean about formal you, if only 'cause it seems prevalent in most languages that aren't English. Vous vs tu, Vy vs ty - it even seems to follow about the same pattern in lotsa languages. I used to know the verb in French for whether or not to drop the formal for informal, but that was... a very very very long time ago. :happy:

I will say that when it comes to politeness, the first thing that comes to mind is when my mother met my best friend Heather's husband for the first time, back when they were dating. Mom found him incredibly rude for whatever reason probably doing with lack of please, thank you, and such, and still insists that he's not good enough for Heather, never mind the fact they've been together eight years now. *chuckles* The second example that comes to mind is one of my exes who is adjunct family now. He most definitely was NOT a please and thank you type, and probably still isn't. He's just sort of quietly there; ironic, considering he's the lead singer of a metal band. But yes, my parents made it clear the first time they met him that he was not suitable until he learned the basics.

But then, we could look at what is considered humorous in this day and age to speculate on where manners and the like went. I'm often amazed at the vast numbers of people who think being flat-out rude and insulting is 'sarcastic', and how you're obviously defective if you don't agree. Any takers? *laughs*

I read all the time!! I read books and kindle and usually have a couple going at the same time.

My kids read like crazy too - especially my 9 year old. They both have huge vocabularies (hubby and I have never dumbed down our speech, our boys just ask if they don't know a word). And they can both spell, in fact they just place first and second in the spelling bee.

As far as manners? Honestly? I think it has a lot to do with parents and the parents friends. I know when I was growing up I called my parents' friends Mrs and Mr. My kids call my friends by their first names. I think that the divide between adults and children is much smaller than it used to be. My kids call their Sunday School teachers by their first names! Granted it's Mr. Steve and Miss Kim, but still. They forget the honorific most of the time and aren't called out for it. My kids are kind and considerate boys, but the respect factor is not there like it was for me when I was a kid.

Oh snap, you just reminded me part of the why to speculate on - how many adults try to treat children like they're their friends. I don't know about you guys, but this is kind of massively inappropriate. My mother and father kept using me as their monkey in the middle, and little buddy and the like. So when it came to disciplining me, like H£$% it was going to take - how am I supposed to respect someone as an authority figure if they spend most of the time buddying up to me? Of course, this is personally moot now, seeing how I'm 29, but it made those teen years rather awkward! :rolleyes:

Regarding please, thank you, Mr and Mrs... I'm in Canada right now, visiting. But I'm from Sweden and Swedish is my first language. I don't think we have a good word for please in Swedish, so while I'm mostly good with my thank yous, I'm pretty sure I've forgotten lots of pleases during my stay here. And we definitely don't use any equivalents for Mr/Mrs in Sweden, so that's something I've never used during previous trips or during this trip. So while I think I'm doing quite good, I sometimes wonder if I'm being rude (without meaning to be, of course!). Though I guess I can always blame it on English not being my first language...