DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Caemlyn is burning!

Brown Ajah

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think will happen to Andor's capital??

What I find really interesting in this scenario is all the important pieces who are currently INSIDE Camelyn (Perrin, Faile, Elayne, Morgase, Alliandre, Talmanes, Olver - just to name a few.) ... and who is just outside Camelyn (Mat, Thom, Moiraine).

- Fish

What I find really interesting in this scenario is all the important pieces who are currently INSIDE Camelyn (Perrin, Faile, Elayne, Morgase, Alliandre, Talmanes, Olver - just to name a few.) ... and who is just outside Camelyn (Mat, Thom, Moiraine).

- Fish

They are at the Field of Merrilor. Talmanes and Olver are outside Caemlyn. Mat, Thom and Moiraine areoutside the Tower of Ghenjei.

- Fish

They are at the Field of Merrilor. Talmanes and Olver are outside Caemlyn. Mat, Thom and Moiraine areoutside the Tower of Ghenjei.

I wasn't aware that it was clear that Perrin's crew had left Camelyn yet by the end of TOM? Also, I mentioned above that Moiraine, Mat and Thom are just outside Camelyn/TOG and headed back into the city just as fast as they can get there. May may be able to save the city...but probably not Olver :(

- Fish

- Fish

I wasn't aware that it was clear that Perrin's crew had left Camelyn yet by the end of TOM? Also, I mentioned above that Moiraine, Mat and Thom are just outside Camelyn/TOG and headed back into the city just as fast as they can get there. May may be able to save the city...but probably not Olver :(

- Fish

Since Perrin set up camp and sent messengers to the Aeil and Tairen armies at Merilor, I would say it is absolutely clear that he is at Merilor. He is also specifically mentioned by Gawyn and Egwene.

TOG is closer to Camelyn than to any other major city, but not that close. And they're not "headed back into the city just as fast as they can get there." They're hanging about, waiting for Perrin's asha'man to open a gateway and fetch them. It seems likely that that fellow is with Perrin at the Fields of Merilor.

If the Band do a great job and save much of the city/population they (and by extention Mat) will get absolutely no thanks or recognition from Elayne. Elayne will try to use their efforts as some sort of excuse to try cheat Mat out of his medallion.

If the shandowspawn prove too numerous/strong for the Band and take the city (with most of the Band dying as heroes to try save the populace) Elayne will completely and entirely blame the Band and only the Band (and by extention Mat) for the loss of the city, completely ignoring her own part in it's demise as she can do no wrong remember? Elayne will try to use their efforts as some sort of excuse to try cheat Mat out of his medallion.

Either way it'll be yet another time I'll wish Elayne died off about 10 books ago.

- Fish

- Fish

Since Perrin set up camp and sent messengers to the Aeil and Tairen armies at Merilor, I would say it is absolutely clear that he is at Merilor. He is also specifically mentioned by Gawyn and Egwene.

TOG is closer to Camelyn than to any other major city, but not that close. And they're not "headed back into the city just as fast as they can get there." They're hanging about, waiting for Perrin's asha'man to open a gateway and fetch them. It seems likely that that fellow is with Perrin at the Fields of Merilor.

No no no!!! ... This is waaaay not right. The Ashaman was specifically left BEHIND by Perrin to open a gateway for the Ghenji Gang at the same time every day and Mat's crew came out at *night*, therefore they are only mere hours away from the Ashaman's gateway being available. They will be back in Camelyn in a blink. Despite Moiraine Sedai's eagerness to get to Rand they have to go back to Camelyn first for MANY reasons. Supplies, clothes, food etc. The biggest reasons from Mat's angle is that the Band AND Olver are there and there is NO way that Mat's going ANYWHERE without them. So, Mat and the entire Band are mere hours away from being back inside Camelyn with a fullscale city-burning battle going down - should be alot of fun :-)

- Fish

Verin's letter warns of a huge number of shadowspawn using the Ways to get to Caemlyn. How are they doing it without getting caught by Machin Shin? Verin told Perrin in SR that Isam/Luc could only bring Trollocs to Two Rivers in small groups since a large group of them would attract Machin Shin in minutes. Is this restriction gone for some reason? There was a huge army of Trollocs that attacked Rand and co in KoD but I believe that one was brought there by Fain who has an understanding with Machin Shin. Is he the one in charge of the Caemlyn invasion? Doesn't seem likely to me. Any other ideas?

Throughout the entire series, followers of the DO have been sending trollocs through the ways, so to me its no surprise. Sure Machin Shin kills many of them, but they're just collateral damage. Several groups of trollocs still make it through. I believe we've encountered the bodies of dead trollocs in the ways before, showing evidence of trollocs traveling through. I see the attack on Caemlyn as believable and i'm sure it's an issue of numbers, you send a crapload of trollocs through and maybe 60% or something make it to their destination, idk. No surprise though.

As to the Band, the question is, how much damage has already been done. If they see the whole city burning, it seems like the trollocs are already well through a good portion of the city, so how much good are they going to be able to do, how much can they save, especially with Elayne gone and the Dragons vulnerable. Even if they have gateways available. I can't believe Mat didn't cave and open Verin's letter before, I'm impressed by his willpower.

No no no!!! ... This is waaaay not right. The Ashaman was specifically left BEHIND by Perrin to open a gateway for the Ghenji Gang at the same time every day and Mat's crew came out at *night*, therefore they are only mere hours away from the Ashaman's gateway being available. They will be back in Camelyn in a blink. Despite Moiraine Sedai's eagerness to get to Rand they have to go back to Camelyn first for MANY reasons. Supplies, clothes, food etc. The biggest reasons from Mat's angle is that the Band AND Olver are there and there is NO way that Mat's going ANYWHERE without them. So, Mat and the entire Band are mere hours away from being back inside Camelyn with a fullscale city-burning battle going down - should be alot of fun :-)

Not really. Grady took part in the opening of the big Gateway for the Perrin army to leave for Merrilor and there was no indication that he stayed behind. Perrin was the last one to go through and he didn't mention anyone staying behind. And there's no reason Grady can't open the Gateway from merrilor at the place near ToG.

Furthermore, Perrin's army most probably wasn't near Caemlyn when it left for Merrilor and when Grady opened the Gateway for Mat to ToG - IIRC they stayed near Whitebridge and went to Merrilor from there.

If the Band do a great job and save much of the city/population they (and by extention Mat) will get absolutely no thanks or recognition from Elayne. Elayne will try to use their efforts as some sort of excuse to try cheat Mat out of his medallion.

If the shandowspawn prove too numerous/strong for the Band and take the city (with most of the Band dying as heroes to try save the populace) Elayne will completely and entirely blame the Band and only the Band (and by extention Mat) for the loss of the city, completely ignoring her own part in it's demise as she can do no wrong remember? Elayne will try to use their efforts as some sort of excuse to try cheat Mat out of his medallion.

Either way it'll be yet another time I'll wish Elayne died off about 10 books ago.

I have no comment for this post.

- Fish

He's right. Grady (who is at Merrilor) makes the gateway at noon so they will have to wait until then. Caemlyn is being attacked the same night they got out of the Tower, so Mat will have to wait until noon unless, the leaders Merrilor find out about Caemlyn and Perrin goes looking for Mat. Hopefully, Elayne didn't take all the Aes Sedai or Kin who can Travel or know the weave.

It seems more likely that the Band, Talmanes, Daerid Olver and the others are to fight without Mat unless they can hold out.

• 2 weeks later...

I think one thing to remember is that THe Band isn't the only force in the Camelyn area at the moment. There are mercenary companies all over the place. I've been wondering if any of those are in the employ if the bad guys? They had to know that were they to invade there would be sufficient forces to repel the invasion, so what's the point? Unless some of the forces camped around Camelyn are on the DO's side or this is all a ploy to delay forces from moving to the Blight.

Mat, Moiraine, and Thom will Travel via Perrins Ashaman to the White Tower where they will pick up the Horn of Valere. Mat will sound the horn as the Band rides into Camelyn and thus a mighty battle will ensue. OR, Mat will ask Fortuona for help and she will redeem the Seanchan by rescuing Camelyn while Mat rides to the last battle.

Almost but not quite.

Don't forget that appx. 60% of the blame will be heaped on Rand for forcing her to be in Cairhien/Field of Merillor by his general lummoxing instead of Camelyn where she would have saved the day singlehandedly.

I think one thing to remember is that THe Band isn't the only force in the Camelyn area at the moment. There are mercenary companies all over the place. I've been wondering if any of those are in the employ if the bad guys? They had to know that were they to invade there would be sufficient forces to repel the invasion, so what's the point? Unless some of the forces camped around Camelyn are on the DO's side or this is all a ploy to delay forces from moving to the Blight.

Lets hope the shadow doesn't think to shut and bar the gates....

Almost but not quite.

Don't forget that appx. 60% of the blame will be heaped on Rand for forcing her to be in Cairhien/Field of Merillor by his general lummoxing instead of Camelyn where she would have saved the day singlehandedly.

Blame the Amyrlin for her summons.

Almost but not quite.

Blame the Amyrlin for her summons.

Or the Pattern itself, for requiring that the armies be summoned.

I'm famously not an Egwene fan, but I'm pretty convinced she really didn't have any choice but to gather the armies. The Pattern required it (she was clearly under ta'veren influence) and Rand wanted it.

As for Caemlyn, I'm pretty sure that Mat will be instrumental in it's defense. How effective that defense will be is another question.

Elayne allowed the Band to move within 10 minutes ride of Caemlyn.

100,000 trollocs moving through a gateway, what 2 metres wide.

The city has just started burning, so maybe Trollocs have been there for 10 minutes???

3 trollocs per 1 second, 20 minutes = 3,600

There's still time for Talmanes to do a King Leonidis :)

Almost but not quite.

And the other 40% of the time she'll be blaming Rand for getting her with child. Like he willed them in their when she wasn't looking...

Almost but not quite.

And the other 40% of the time she'll be blaming Rand for getting her with child. Like he willed them in their when she wasn't looking...

Somewhere in that exchange one of the men will be called a "wool-headed idiot".

Archived