DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Need another fantasy fans help

Aaron343

Hello everyone i am a huge WoT fan and love all the books but i can only read 13 books so many times. I would love to hear what your other favorite books are (mainly series not just a single book). i have found several other series that are very good and i would love to discus this with anyone willing to share their favorite books.

please post back or email me at - Aaronwv@gmail.com

Hi Aaron! Welcome to DM.

I guess the recommendation you would get for other great series of fantasy novels would depend on who you talk to LOL Personally i could not finished the Seeker series by Terry Goodkind, it got repetative and boring for me.

Other authors i enjoy would be Raymond E Feist - i love his early stuff, the later - not so much but the Daughter of the Empire trilogy he wrote with Janny Wurts is fantastic. Sara Douglass is a little known Australian fantasy author and her first series Battle Axe, Enchanter and Starman are fantastic, but the second series gets a bit too weird for me. I also enjoy David Eddings, Katherine Kerr, Terry Brooks, Robin Hobb and loads more. Fantasy has always been my favourite genre, but i will read just about anything.

Ama

"The Horseclans series"by Robert Adams, "The Wars of Light and Shadow" by Janny Wurts(this is a great series), P.C. Hodgells "Kencyrath" books, Patricia Mckillips "Harpist" books, Roger Zelazny's "Amber" series, Michael Moorcocks"Champion Eternal" books(especially Elric),"The Belgariad" by David Eddings, and The Eric John Books by Leigh Brackett

I would like to thank all of those who have shared and hope more people will I would also like to say if you give me your email ill send u a list of my favorite series. I have it in a word doc and email is easier then trying to post it here

The Wheel of Time Series By- Robert Jordan

The Eye of the World

The Great Hunt

The Dragon Reborn

The Shadow Rising

The Fires of Heaven

Lord of Chaos

A Crown of Swords

A Path of Daggers

Winters Heart

Crossroads of Twilight

Knife of Dreams

The Gathering Storm (finished By- Brandon Sanderson)

The Towers of Midnight (finished By- Brandon Sanderson)

A Memory of Light (finished By- Brandon Sanderson) (forthcoming)

New Spring (set 20 years before The Eye of the World)

A Song of Ice and Fire By- George R.R. Martin

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

A Dance with Dragons (forthcoming)

The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)

A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

The Mistborn Trilogy By- Brandon Sanderson

The Final Empire

The Well of Ascension

The Hero of Ages

The Alloy of Law (set several hundred years after the trilogy) (forthcoming)

The Abhorsen Trilogy By- Garth Nix

Sabriel

Lireal

Abhorsen

Across the Wall (a book of short stories)

The Bartiemaeus Trilogy By- Jonathan Stroud

The Amulet of Samarkand

The Golem’s Eye

Ptolemy’s Gate

The Ring of Solomon (set before the trilogy)

Eragon: The Inheritance Cycle By- Christopher Paolini

Eragon

Eldest

Brisingr

Book 4 (forthcoming)

The Books of Abarat By- Clive Baker

Abarat

Days of Magic, Nights of War

Absolute Midnight (forthcoming)

The Dynasty of Dreamers (forthcoming)

The Eternal (forthcoming)

Artemis Fowl By- Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl

The Artic Incident

The Eternity Code

The Opal Deception

The Lost Colony

The Time Paradox

The Atlantis Complex

Book 8 (forthcoming)

His Dark Materials By- Philip Pullman

The Golden Compass

The Subtle Knife

The Amber Spyglass

These are all my favorite series and the books in the series. (forthcoming) obviously mean not out yet and for the books that have no name i just put what number book they would be. There were several "trilogies" that have 4 books its bc the other books go alone with the story but not the main story line. i Know all of these books very well and if you have any questions please ask, also before you pick up one of these series you can ask me and i will try to "give you a feel for the books" without any spoilers.

Welcome to DM! :biggrin:

I hope you are enjoying your time here so far!

I have only read two series on that list - WoT (obviously) and A Song of Ice and Fire, which I never really got into. Maybe that will change when the forthcoming Game of Thrones TV shows comes out...

To give it its proper name, The Sword of Truth series is good. Everyone is different, but I found it more enjoyable than WoT. And I feel I have found series that are better than that. Kristen Britain's Green Rider series and Fiona McIntosh's The Quickening Trilogy - that was a refreshing read with a great twist!

If you have any questions about the boards, or what to do, feel free to ask and we will do out best to help out.

Welcome to DM! :biggrin:

I hope you are enjoying your time here so far!

I have only read two series on that list - WoT (obviously) and A Song of Ice and Fire, which I never really got into. Maybe that will change when the forthcoming Game of Thrones TV shows comes out...

To give it its proper name, The Sword of Truth series is good. Everyone is different, but I found it more enjoyable than WoT. And I feel I have found series that are better than that. Kristen Britain's Green Rider series and Fiona McIntosh's The Quickening Trilogy - that was a refreshing read with a great twist!

If you have any questions about the boards, or what to do, feel free to ask and we will do out best to help out.

i have heard some very good things about the sword of truth series...i have 2 question about the series how many books are in it and how big are the books??

The initial series is 11 books long - and the books are similar in length to WoT. But if you consider the forthcoming The Omen Machine (which features the same characters), the series is 12 books and counting!

Please note that there are some very anti-Goodkind people on this site. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and mine is that it is better and more enjoyable than Jordan. But like Jordan, there are a couple of slow books, but looking back, they are an integral part of the series.

The initial series is 11 books long - and the books are similar in length to WoT. But if you consider the forthcoming The Omen Machine (which features the same characters), the series is 12 books and counting!

Please note that there are some very anti-Goodkind people on this site. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and mine is that it is better and more enjoyable than Jordan. But like Jordan, there are a couple of slow books, but looking back, they are an integral part of the series.

ok thank you very much for all your help

Guest tigress118

Hi, I am new to Dragonmount, though obviously not new to WOT. I'm an "older" lady, but sci-fi and fantasy (plus mysteries, too) are my favorite reads. I love Artemis Fowl, even though I have to pretend to be buying the books for someone much younger LOL! I love, love, love the Pern series. I have always been fascinate with dragons, and have always wanted to have instantaneous travel from one place to another (and the addition of being connected directly to your dragon - and have that dragon be someone who loves you no matter what - WOW!) I found His Dark Materials to be a little too much in the way of religion (thank God I am not Catholic or Church of England). For the past several years I have been reading the Riley Jenson books by Keri Arthur (who is from Downunder). Riley is part werewolf/part vampire and a member of the Guardian Division (which is the branch of the goverment/police who take care of the supernatural crimes. There are horse-shifters, bird-shifters, empathic vampires who feed on your emotions instead of your blood and lots of other assorted bad "guys." I also love the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris (and I've also read her other series(es) which were all mysteries - which is how I found her in the first place). She also started a new series about a young woman who was struck by lightning and can now sense the dead. She travels with her step-brother to help people find their dead loved ones. There are only 3 books in this series so far, but they have been good. Also, on the vampiric side - there are the novels by MaryJanice Davidson about Betsy (I can't remember her last name), the Queen of the Vamps. Betsy loves SHOES and she is a "ditsy" blonde. I laugh out loud reading her books. On the more serious (and sinister side) there are the Anita Blake, vampire hunter novels. These are definitely adults only reads, and I am mentioning this because I do not know your age and am unsure if I should even have mentioned them. I also used to read all the David Eddings books - I loved Polgara. If you are younger than say 20 (18??) maybe you should wait awhile to read Anita if you happen to like vampire novels (which I obvously do).

Hi, I am new to Dragonmount, though obviously not new to WOT. I'm an "older" lady, but sci-fi and fantasy (plus mysteries, too) are my favorite reads. I love Artemis Fowl, even though I have to pretend to be buying the books for someone much younger LOL! I love, love, love the Pern series. I have always been fascinate with dragons, and have always wanted to have instantaneous travel from one place to another (and the addition of being connected directly to your dragon - and have that dragon be someone who loves you no matter what - WOW!) I found His Dark Materials to be a little too much in the way of religion (thank God I am not Catholic or Church of England). For the past several years I have been reading the Riley Jenson books by Keri Arthur (who is from Downunder). Riley is part werewolf/part vampire and a member of the Guardian Division (which is the branch of the goverment/police who take care of the supernatural crimes. There are horse-shifters, bird-shifters, empathic vampires who feed on your emotions instead of your blood and lots of other assorted bad "guys." I also love the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris (and I've also read her other series(es) which were all mysteries - which is how I found her in the first place). She also started a new series about a young woman who was struck by lightning and can now sense the dead. She travels with her step-brother to help people find their dead loved ones. There are only 3 books in this series so far, but they have been good. Also, on the vampiric side - there are the novels by MaryJanice Davidson about Betsy (I can't remember her last name), the Queen of the Vamps. Betsy loves SHOES and she is a "ditsy" blonde. I laugh out loud reading her books. On the more serious (and sinister side) there are the Anita Blake, vampire hunter novels. These are definitely adults only reads, and I am mentioning this because I do not know your age and am unsure if I should even have mentioned them. I also used to read all the David Eddings books - I loved Polgara. If you are younger than say 20 (18??) maybe you should wait awhile to read Anita if you happen to like vampire novels (which I obvously do).

i thank you very much for all you input i sadly do not like vampire books Twilight ruined that for me.....I am a 16 year old boy you where says the thing about age but ill have you know i dont think there is any other age group more perverted then teenage boys. Also when i read His Dark Material the whole god is evil thing went over my head some how looking back i cant see how, but you are right, i am Catholic and did find the series offensive the second read. But i was able to look at the other parts of the book and still see a good story line. i am also honored that you used your 1st post on my topic (i heard that you only get one 1st post)

Archived