• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

Haha :laugh: honestly it isn't all it's cracked up to be :P

Yeah. England sucks.

two problems

1. first world problems much?

2. what isn't all its cracked up to be and how does this relate to England and Scotland

1 (and 2, really). As the first year to be paying the tripled uni fees I am very biased and don't like it :)

triple? well that's enough to get anyone angry... Do they charge flat rates there or based on your means like Harvard (I think)? and what is triple the fee?

£9,000 per year instead of £3,000, and that's just tuition

Same for everybody, but if your household income is less than a certain amount you can get bursaries and such

are bursaries mostly state covered or privately sponsored?

You get a loan from the government, and you can get grants from them and from your uni

9000 British pounds = 108 696.215 South African rands

per year? Just tuition? Why the increase? are they trying to make university as elitist as possible? People even accept paying this much? Do you still know how to protest? I can give you some pointers... I go to a private school for less than this, and this is something everyone is supposed to be able to pay for?

rant over. but that's still a lot of of money.

Which course is this for, or it this a flat across the board fee? and what's the income threshold for bursary application

There were protests, predictably nothing happened as a result. Thankfully for me Scottish students don't pay any tuition fees, if we did then I doubt I'd be going

Yeah. England sucks.

two problems

2. what isn't all its cracked up to be and how does this relate to England and Scotland

1 (and 2, really). As the first year to be paying the tripled uni fees I am very biased and don't like it :)

triple? well that's enough to get anyone angry... Do they charge flat rates there or based on your means like Harvard (I think)? and what is triple the fee?

£9,000 per year instead of £3,000, and that's just tuition

Same for everybody, but if your household income is less than a certain amount you can get bursaries and such

are bursaries mostly state covered or privately sponsored?

You get a loan from the government, and you can get grants from them and from your uni

eish student loans

per year? Just tuition? Why the increase? are they trying to make university as elitist as possible? People even accept paying this much? Do you still know how to protest? I can give you some pointers... I go to a private school for less than this, and this is something everyone is supposed to be able to pay for?

Which course is this for, or it this a flat across the board fee? and what's the income threshold for bursary application

There were protests, predictably nothing happened as a result. Thankfully for me Scottish students don't pay any tuition fees, if we did then I doubt I'd be going

none at all?

Once again you're education system logic escapes me

none at all?

not a penny :)

none at all?

But I would have to pay the £9K to go to a Scottish uni too

Yeah. England sucks.

two problems

1. yeah I guess you're right, I still don't like the rampant booze, drugs and violence culture up here though

2. I meant the 12 free periods :laugh:

1. meh Boozing is pretty big part of lots of people's university lives, part of an alarmingly large amount of people's school lives as well, illegal drugs in general (read cannabis-mostly) are not nearly as bad as the ones we allow (depression medication, concentration/ADHD medication - which I have a personal problem with and especially alcohol). Violence... for uni students?

2. I guess it's just time that your not having lessons

I take your points, I just feel it's gone a bit far when a lot of people can't have a drink without fighting or getting lifted or something, no one seems to have any sense of moderation

all true

luckily I don't drink, or smoke, or plan to

My problem with ADHD medication is pretty simple, actually concentration medicine at all. Do you have any idea what it does? It makes you WANT to concentrate, makes you WANT to work, now I'm not completely sure how that is even possible but it doesn't seem to me like its a good thing to be doing to your body, not to mention the fact that if you take it you're not really in control of your actions anymore, you're a walking puppet to the effects of a drug, much like being high on any other, just that this drug is okay because it lets you do productive things like "work".

A couple months back there was an advert on the radio for some or other medication that sounded like it was over the counter stuff. Apparently this stuff could calm down your unruly kids and take away your teenagers bad tempers, nice effect, but what is that medication doing to your child to make that happen, and more importantly, that calm child who isn't running around or complaining isn't your child, it's a drugged up husk of a person. I actually got angry that parents would even consider giving it to their children

£9K per year.

Government is giving less money to unis, so we have to pay more instead.

There were lots of protets. If we wanna go to uni, we don't have much choice now though

All courses at my unis are this much.

Below a household income of £25,000 per year usually gets you the full grant/whatever, and then there is a sliding scale up to about £43,000 I think

Edited by Crimson_Ayla

Yeah. England sucks.

two problems

1. yeah I guess you're right, I still don't like the rampant booze, drugs and violence culture up here though

1. meh Boozing is pretty big part of lots of people's university lives, part of an alarmingly large amount of people's school lives as well, illegal drugs in general (read cannabis-mostly) are not nearly as bad as the ones we allow (depression medication, concentration/ADHD medication - which I have a personal problem with and especially alcohol). Violence... for uni students?

I take your points, I just feel it's gone a bit far when a lot of people can't have a drink without fighting or getting lifted or something, no one seems to have any sense of moderation

all true

My problem with ADHD medication is pretty simple, actually concentration medicine at all. Do you have any idea what it does? It makes you WANT to concentrate, makes you WANT to work, now I'm not completely sure how that is even possible but it doesn't seem to me like its a good thing to be doing to your body, not to mention the fact that if you take it you're not really in control of your actions anymore, you're a walking puppet to the effects of a drug, much like being high on any other, just that this drug is okay because it lets you do productive things like "work".

A couple months back there was an advert on the radio for some or other medication that sounded like it was over the counter stuff. Apparently this stuff could calm down your unruly kids and take away your teenagers bad tempers, nice effect, but what is that medication doing to your child to make that happen, and more importantly, that calm child who isn't running around or complaining isn't your child, it's a drugged up husk of a person. I actually got angry that parents would even consider giving it to their children

Spot on.

I should clarify that my main problem is with the feral neds who only care about where their next fix is coming from, and who are often violent as a result. Unfortunately I seem to see lots of people like this and it makes me sad

none at all?

none at all?

this is not helping

also have either of you heard of the Rhodes scholarship?

Uh, not really. Something to do with Oxford..?

It's a scholarship paid for by the trust fund of Cecil John Rhodes. Yes, you do go to Oxford. There are a couple of scholarships anyone can apply for and then three schools(I think) are given the ability to send one of their own past pupils to Oxford, my school is one of them. It's pretty insane if you think about the money involved

Cecil John Rhodes was a diamond mining magnate, got his money from the diamond fields up north in South Africa in Upington to be exact, basically he ended up buying all the diamond plots there (I think he owned De Beers). Then he became Prime Minister of the Cape Colony, or whatever it was called those days. When he died he put up that scholarship and gave away all the land that currently makes up the University of Cape Town, and that's a sizeable protion of Table Mountain.

tl;dr version: Cecil john Rhodes made the Scholarship, he was stinking rich, and stalked by a princess but that's beside the point

£9K per year.

There were lots of protets. If we wanna go to uni, we don't have much choice now though

Below a household income of £25,000 per year usually gets you the full grant/whatever, and then there is a sliding scale up to about £43,000 I think

And the government has just cut tax on the rich

none at all?

none at all?

this is not helping

It's a scholarship paid for by the trust fund of Cecil John Rhodes. Yes, you do go to Oxford. There are a couple of scholarships anyone can apply for and then three schools(I think) are given the ability to send one of their own past pupils to Oxford, my school is one of them. It's pretty insane if you think about the money involved

Cecil John Rhodes was a diamond mining magnate, got his money from the diamond fields up north in South Africa in Upington to be exact, basically he ended up buying all the diamond plots there (I think he owned De Beers). Then he became Prime Minister of the Cape Colony, or whatever it was called those days. When he died he put up that scholarship and gave away all the land that currently makes up the University of Cape Town, and that's a sizeable protion of Table Mountain.

tl;dr version: Cecil john Rhodes made the Scholarship, he was stinking rich, and stalked by a princess but that's beside the point

You should come to Oxford!

We can have a boat race :laugh:

Yeah. England sucks.

two problems

all true

Spot on.

I should clarify that my main problem is with the feral neds who only care about where their next fix is coming from, and who are often violent as a result. Unfortunately I seem to see lots of people like this and it makes me sad

feral neds? We've got problems here with people stealing (and then sometimes killing) to get their next fix, usually the people are on tik (crystal meths) that's pretty popular in poor communities

none at all?

none at all?

this is not helping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Rhodes

more on Rhodes, he was a bastard, but he helped in some places, he's interesting to say the least

Yeah. England sucks.

two problems

all true

Spot on.

feral neds? We've got problems here with people stealing (and then sometimes killing) to get their next fix, usually the people are on tik (crystal meths) that's pretty popular in poor communities

I am by no means saying we have it worse up here, just idly moaning. Sorry if I'm giving off that impression

£9K per year.

And the government has just cut tax on the rich

*facepalm

Only the rich play income tax here, I think the statistic is something like 10% of our population, we still get tax money from other places but 10% is quite low. and then the ministers waste it on over-tendering, corruption, nepotism, favouritism, underhanded objectives, flashy cars, off-days, plane trips to their drug mule girlfriends in jail somewher, bodyguards, military planes to shadow your military planes that are carrying important people

Yeah. England sucks.

two problems

all true

Spot on.

I am by no means saying we have it worse up here, just idly moaning. Sorry if I'm giving off that impression

I am definitely not accusing you of idle moaning at least not for the stuff that's coming up now, I'm just drawing up similarities

n his last will and testament, he provided for the establishment of the famous Rhodes Scholarship,[42] the world's first international study programme. The scholarship enabled students from territories under British rule, formerly under British rule, and from Germany, to study at the University of Oxford.[42]

Rhodes memorial at Devil's Peak (Cape Town). Rhodes Memorial stands on Rhodes' favourite spot on the slopes of Devil's Peak, Cape Town, with a view looking north and east towards the Cape to Cairo [/url]route. Rhodes' house in Cape Town, Groote Schuur, has recently been inhabited by the President of the R.S.A. Jacob Zuma

yes our president lives in his house, he was that rich

I am definitely not accusing you of idle moaning at least not for the stuff that's coming up now, I'm just drawing up similarities

Seems we've had a misunderstanding, I thought for a minute it looked as if I was belittling the problems you've illustrated, which I'd hate to do, but I see what you mean now.

Your accusation probably would have been accurate had you made it :P I love a good moan :laugh: