DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Dagon Thyne

Wheel of Time TV Series?

I honestly can't see any way that the first 6 seasons could be reduced in size without sacrificing really important plotlines and character development. But I do think books 7-11 could be combined into 2 seasons, 12 and 13 could be 1 season, with a final season for AMoL. Making a grand total of 10 seasons. Still unreasonable, but about the only way to do fan service.

I completely agree with you, as I have through almost everything I've read on here so far. The only thing that I would try to do is keep the seasons down to 15 maybe 18 episodes, on the longer seasons. This way they could air 2 seasons a calendar year. Keeping your 10 seasons simply airing them over a course of 5 or 6 years. If they filmed it all at once, they could get everything down in a few years, the show would be aired along the way. And the fear that actors get to old to play the rolls goes away.

I think you could use the outline from earlier, but you have to be willing to cut, cut, cut things. Especially when you are dealing with serials (i.e. television), you need to be able to tell stories that are not a continuous "to-be-continued". When audiences watch, they want some sort of resolution at the end of the episode -- it can set up the next episode, but there has to be some resolutions sprinkled throughout or you risk a situation where new viewers are not going to invest huge amounts of time going back and watching from the beginning.

To give an example, consider the beginning of Eye of the World.

Should the prologue be included right at the beginning? How does it affect things like pacing and character development from a television series point of view?

One could argue that especially in the television medium, you want to keep the focus on as few main characters as possible (even in Lost, where you had more than a dozen characters running around, they managed to keep the focus on a few of them at a time).

Suppose you had such a series and you scripted the "pilot" episode. What would that include?

If you look at the book scenes, it goes like this:

1. Prologue -- Lews Therin and Ishmael tragedy hour

2. Rand and Tam on the quarry rode going TO Emond's Field -- it's Dark Rider time

3. The Good Wives of Emond's Fields on Point

4. Cenn Buie and the Anti-Nynaeve League and stork discussion

5. Mat and Rand, cheap slave labor carrying barrels into the cellar

6. Did you see the dark rider? What are you talking about, I meant the Lady and the guy "in service" to her

7. Moiraine meets the lads -- you must call me Moiraine, have some coins

8. A Fain wind -- The False Dragon? War in Ghealdean!

9. Introduction to Thom -- not Master Gleeman, oh hello there Aes Sedai -- err Lady Moiraine

10. Rand and Tam on the quarry rode going FROM Emond's Field -- the Farmhouse, lots of chores

11. Trolloc attack at the Farmhouse

12. The Night Journey to Emond's Field -- Tam's fever dream, Narg (gotta have Narg!), etc

13. Emond's Field -- healing Tam, for a price

14. Rand's Myrdraal dreams

15. The Aemon and Eldrene story

16. Leaving Emond's Field

If you had to cut things for time and pacing, you'd want to tighten the focus. Maybe by doing this set instead:

1. Rand and Tam coming out of the woods, the dark rider appearing just as they're approaching EF

2. Replace Cenn Buie with Nynaeve complaining about Cenn complaining about her -- we can refer to Cenn offscreen, we can't for Nynaeve

2. Give Ewin's introduction of the presence of Moiraine and Lan to Perrin or Mat instead

3. Make Thom and Fain arrive at the same time so that Moiraine, Egwene, Thom, and Fain are introduced relatively quickly

4. Rand and Tam at the farmhouse and the Trolloc attack happens

5. Rand and Tam escape to EF. Tam's wound occurs in the woods but he doesn't need a litter

6. EF is burning, Tam is starting to be feverish and collapses

7. Moiraine offers the healing, Tam offers advice

8. Leaving Emond's Field

Probably over cut, but I think you'd have to do more cutting and trimming than expected when all is said and done.

I believe things should not be cut. I support Tv seriel, you get more watchers by that I think. It should be cheaper i believe. i don't know these things. I am just horrified about cutting parts. I have grown up watching seriels that comes about 6 days a week, half-hour and go on for more than 3 years. There is no season 2. The thing is here we don't have to wait for season 2. Prolouge should be added and I think maybe with 3 thousand years later and then it could go on till Trolloc's burn rand and Tam's farm. It would hook the watchers. Every Episode could have an ending like this especially the last episode of week. It creates more suspense.

A request, if the serial comes out pleae please show it on a Indian television.

I honestly can't see any way that the first 6 seasons could be reduced in size without sacrificing really important plotlines and character development. But I do think books 7-11 could be combined into 2 seasons, 12 and 13 could be 1 season, with a final season for AMoL. Making a grand total of 10 seasons. Still unreasonable, but about the only way to do fan service.

I completely agree with you, as I have through almost everything I've read on here so far. The only thing that I would try to do is keep the seasons down to 15 maybe 18 episodes, on the longer seasons. This way they could air 2 seasons a calendar year. Keeping your 10 seasons simply airing them over a course of 5 or 6 years. If they filmed it all at once, they could get everything down in a few years, the show would be aired along the way. And the fear that actors get to old to play the rolls goes away.

The Great Hunt and the Dragon Reborn could be merged into one season, just add a few more episodes to make sure you get all of the plot points. And also, The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight, and A Memory of Light could be merged, since they were originally supposed to be one huge book in the first place. That would cut it down to 10 seasons. Which would be more managable.

Perhaps the series could be broken down this way?

Season 1:

Episode 01: Winternight | - Eye of the World

Episode 02: Shadow’s Waiting | - Eye of the World

Episode 03: The Traveling People | - Eye of the World

Episode 04: Eyes Without Pity | - Eye of the World

Episode 05: Caemlyn | - Eye of the World

Episode 06: The Dark Along the Ways | - Eye of the World

Episode 07: The Blight | - Eye of the World

Episode 08: Meetings at the Eye | - Eye of the World

Episode 09: The Hunt Begins | - The Great Hunt

Episode 10: From Stone to Stone | - The Great Hunt

Episode 11: To the White Tower | - The Great Hunt

Episode 12: The Testing | - The Great Hunt

Episode 13: Daes Dae’mar | - The Great Hunt

Episode 14: Stedding Tsofu | - The Great Hunt

Episode 15: Blademaster | - The Great Hunt

Episode 16: The Grave is No Bar to My Call | - The Dragon Reborn

Episode 17: News from the Plain | - The Dragon Reborn

Episode 18: Hunters Three | - The Dragon Reborn

Episode 19: A World of Dreams | - The Dragon Reborn

Episode 20: The Falcon | - The Dragon Reborn

Episode 21: A Storm in Tear | - The Dragon Reborn

Episode 22: People of the Dragon | - The Dragon Reborn

Season 2:

Episode 01: The Stone Stands | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 02: Into the Doorway | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 03: The Road to the Spear | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 04: Homecoming | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 05: He Who Comes With the Dawn | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 06: The Tinker’s Sword | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 07: Revelations in Tanchico | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 08: A Breaking in the Three-fold Land | - The Shadow Rising

Episode 09: The First Sparks Fall | - The Fires of Heaven

Episode 10: An Unexpected Offer | - The Fires of Heaven

Episode 11: “The Fifth, I Give You” | - The Fires of Heaven

Episode 12: A Silver Arrow | - The Fires of Heaven

Episode 13: This Place, This Day | - The Fires of Heaven

Episode 14: The Threads Burn | - The Fires of Heaven

Episode 15: Lion on the Hill | - Lord of Chaos

Episode 16: A Saying in the Borderlands | - Lord of Chaos

Episode 17: Matters of Toh | - Lord of Chaos

Episode 18: To Heal Again | - Lord of Chaos

Episode 19: In the Hall of the Sitters | - Lord of Chaos

Episode 20: The Black Tower | - Lord of Chaos

Episode 21: Leaning on the Knife | - Lord of Chaos

Episode 22: Dumai’s Wells | - Lord of Chaos

Season 3:

Episode 01: High Chasaline | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 02: Pitfalls and Tripwires | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 03: The Bowl of Winds | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 04: As the Plow Breaks the Earth | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 05: The Kin | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 06: The Irrevocable Words | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 07: Mashiara | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 08: A Crown of Swords | - A Crown of Swords

Episode 09: To Keep the Bargain | - The Path of Daggers

Episode 10: Threads | - The Path of Daggers

Episode 11: Stronger Than Written Law | - The Path of Daggers

Episode 12: Out on the Ice | - The Path of Daggers

Episode 13: Fog of War, Storm of Battle | - The Path of Daggers

Episode 14: A Cup of Sleep | - The Path of Daggers

Episode 15: Leaving the Prophet | - Winter’s Heart

Episode 16: The Scent of Madness | - Winter’s Heart

Episode 17: Ideas of Importance | - Winter’s Heart

Episode 18: In Need of a Bellfounder | - Winter’s Heart

Episode 19: Pink Ribbons | - Winter’s Heart

Episode 20: To Lose the Sun | - Winter’s Heart

Episode 21: What the Aelfinn Said | - Winter’s Heart

Episode 22: With the Choedan Kal | - Winter’s Heart

Season 4:

Episode 01: Glimmers in the Pattern | - Crossroads of Twilight

Episode 02: Blacksmith’s Puzzle | - Crossroads of Twilight

Episode 03: Talk of Debts | - Crossroads of Twilight

Episode 04: The Subject of Negotiations | - Crossroads of Twilight

Episode 05: When to Wear Jewls | - Crossroads of Twilight

Episode 06: Something Flickers | - Crossroads of Twilight

Episode 07: Embers Falling on Dry Grass | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 08: Dragon’s Eggs | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 09: A Hell in Maderin | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 10: A Bronze Bear | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 11: The Golden Crane | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 12: A Plain Wooden Box | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 13: The House on Full Moon Street | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 14: Prince of the Ravens | - Knife of Dreams

Episode 15: Tears from Steel | - The Gathering Storm

Episode 16: The Last of the Tabac | - The Gathering Storm

Episode 17: A Box Opens | - The Gathering Storm

Episode 18: On a Broken Road | - The Gathering Storm

Episode 19: The Last That Could Be Done | - The Gathering Storm

Episode 20: Night in Hinderstap | - The Gathering Storm

Episode 21: A Halo of Blackness | - The Gathering Storm

Episode 22: Just Another Man | - The Gathering Storm

Season 5:

Episode 01: The Strike at Shayol Ghul | - The Strike at Shayol Ghul

Episode 02: The Pattern Groans | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 03: Lighter Than a Feather | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 04: An Empty Ink Bottle | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 05: Foxheads | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 06: A Storm of Light | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 07: Stronger Than Blood | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 08: Near Avendesora | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 09: The One Left Behind | - Towers of Midnight

Episode 10: A Wish Fulfilled | - New Spring

Episode 11: Shreds of Serenity | - New Spring

Episode 12: Into Canluum | - New Spring

Episode 13: A Narrow Passage | - New Spring

Episode 14: When to Surrender | - New Spring

Episode 15: ??? | - A Memory of Light

Episode 16: ??? | - A Memory of Light

Episode 17: ??? | - A Memory of Light

Episode 18: ??? | - A Memory of Light

Episode 19: ??? | - A Memory of Light

Episode 20: ??? | - A Memory of Light

Episode 21: ??? | - A Memory of Light

Episode 22: ??? | - A Memory of Light

The Strike at Shayol Ghul could take place at the start of Season 5 after Rand has merged with Lews Therin. It could be presented as a flashback.

New Spring could take place after the Towers of Midnight section of Season 5 as it ends there with Moiraine being rescued.

I think there is a lot in the books that could be cut out and I'd rather see the whole series adapted with sub plots cut out than see them try to adapt everything and only do 3 or 4 seasons

You're planning out a 13 season run? Never. 3-5 seasons at the absolute maximum. That's just the reality.

7-8 seasons is probably the absolute maximum. 3-5 seasons is what you'd hope for to have the best possible shot at getting to an ending, but WoT would require more than that.

Yes I know...I'm kinda late to this talk, but, the tv series is a great idea. However, i think the episodes should cover all the chapters, some episodes would cover two because sometimes the chapters are shorter. The tv series would have to be just as the book says to be a great sucess. It can't be like Lord of The Rings with everybody having either a British, Irish, or Scottish accent(i.e. the Thanchicans have a French accent-because most of them say "yes/no" at the end of a question and the way they structure their sentences-and Andor would be a kind of sophisticated/proper American accent). The Wheel of Time series is just too good to be messed up like they did with Lord of the Rings.

Also, there can not be anything cut out,its too vital. I know 14 lengthy seasons is highly impossible, but I'd rather not have a tv series than one that didn't give all the books. And JJ, wat do u mean when u say "subplots"?

One thing I think people would need to understand that in the first season plot elements will need to be taken from across the entire series and so on and so forth. Please not I'm not saying significant change but enough to make it more adaptable to a TV audience. If it was made into a TV series the creators, directors and producers would have no significant interest in pleasing [us] as current fan. In reality they wont care whether we watch, they will only aim to draw more and more viewers. This will ultimately to lead to either a patchwork screenplay or an extended screenplay with things either never seen or never mentioned and derived from the background material of the series..

Yes I know...I'm kinda late to this talk, but, the tv series is a great idea. However, i think the episodes should cover all the chapters, some episodes would cover two because sometimes the chapters are shorter. The tv series would have to be just as the book says to be a great sucess. It can't be like Lord of The Rings with everybody having either a British, Irish, or Scottish accent(i.e. the Thanchicans have a French accent-because most of them say "yes/no" at the end of a question and the way they structure their sentences-and Andor would be a kind of sophisticated/proper American accent). The Wheel of Time series is just too good to be messed up like they did with Lord of the Rings.

What? You do realise most actors were probably American or New Zealander/Australian? Sure there were a few Brits (which includes Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Also you forgot England... ) but the majority weren't as far as I can remember.

Yes, but that is beside the point about the actors, all the chracters had that British/Welsh/Scottish/Irish or New Zealand/Australian voice, but the world of WoT is extremely different. And just so everybody knows, I don't think the accent is a big deal, just one noticeably thing that could make it lesser and make it look like a knock off of Lord of The Rings.

People griping that there should be nothing cut out are the reason that it's hard for studios to adapt many of the things people love. Do you honestly think that a movie/TV studio would agree to adapt -- with every plotline intact -- 14 books of >700 pages each? That would never happen in a million, kajillion years. A TV show is much more likely to happen than a series of movies, but let's be honest, that's not going to happen either. Game of Thrones has a lot more sex and violence than WoT; that's why HBO laid out all the cash for that adaptation.

I realize the audience here is a very invested subset of WoT fandom, but if you really, really consider the series in its entirety, you must be able to admit that there are plenty of things that could be pretty effectively cut out of the story without losing any of the forward momentum (e.g., Bowl of Winds, traveling circus, training the Sea Folk). If you ever actually want to see any kind of screen adaptation, you better start preparing yourself for severe edits.

I'd love to see an adaptation on TV (which I think would work better than films), but I think that the stuff that gets cut out would be a disappointment to fans. My favourite character is pretty much Cadsuane, but I can appreciate that the story could go on without her; and who would they cast who could live up to my expectation, anyway?

I think an attempt is inevitable, at some point. My main worry is that the first try would be a disaster so the whole idea gets put away as 'bad', much like the Dragonlance fiasco. It would have to be a serious fan of the series who did the adaptation, like Peter Jackson was with LotR. And there are *still* some die-hards unhappy with that adaptation.

One with no easy answer, I think.

A series would be, or rather, could be awesome. Yes, a few seasons would be compliations of 2 or even 3 books.

After the initial CGI work is done, little of the show's special effects would cost a significant amount of money. In all actuality, there are at any given moment only 6 major characters being focused on at one time.

The way the later books work out, they would have 3-4 sets going at 1 time, and 1 CGI 'room' to add in Weaves/Trollocs/backrounds.

New Zealand, Tunisia, and Scotland or Ireland are all excellent for locations, with relatively low costs involved. However, much of the show could in fact be done on set or greenscreen.

I think that a T.V. series would be brilliant... however, what if it could be a series and movie combo, released after the series has run, with the first half of each novel done as a series, leaving the movies to do the last half? The only issues are 1) wether or not to use animation vs real life. I would like a animated version. While I have heard mention of Avatar, there was another animated series, relased in the mid-90's, and created by Disney... Gargoyles, a show about mythical creatures that turn to stone during the day and come to life at night, and sworn to protect. They were frozen in stone for 1 thousand years, due to a betrayal..sound familiar??? It was released in1995 until 1997. You should have a look at it and see what you think of it. The show helped me understand the WOT. It was a short series because it ran out of story ideas. With the WOT series, there is more to show than I can count! What do you think?

The main reason that the Game of Thrones is so successful is that the author is still alive... he knows what he wants in the program to keep it in line with his series. This is very hard for anyone in a series that is done for a novel adaptation where the author is not around to oversee it. It will be difficult unless the project/s are done by the fans themselves... after all, many trailers have been done, such as the ToM trailer. The voice actor speaking as Moiraine was briliant, imagine if it was part of an animated series, the possibilities are endless!! I spoke of Gargoyles above of the old animation style, then there is two other brilliant animated programs running right now Avengers, Earth's Mightest Heroes in the same production as Avatar and Gargoyles, then Transformers Prime done in full CGI effects and featuring the two legendary voice actors from the original series.... Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime and Frank Wellker as Megatron. The lead voice actor from Gargoyles appears as Arbiter in the Halo games. Both of these actors palyed these characters in the original series. With these two amazing voice actors alone and all the others, what could top an animation series. And imagine the Grave mind voice actor as the DO... that would blow my mind!!!

Edited by wotfan4472

A TV series do not need to adapt everything, every plotline, however the problem with WoT is that there is not allot that can be cut away since there is not much filler to be found, even things that seam unimportant becomes very important to the main plot in the end, I do not see how it could be cut down to much and still be the same story.

A TV series do not need to adapt everything, every plotline, however the problem with WoT is that there is not allot that can be cut away since there is not much filler to be found, even things that seam unimportant becomes very important to the main plot in the end, I do not see how it could be cut down to much and still be the same story.

A movie cuts more than a TV series would. TV series would change small details that are not important to the overall series, such as many of the darkfriends encounters that Rand and Mat have after leaving Whitebirdge in EOTW. But, you can still have all of the importany details in. A movie would cut out several important storylines for the sake of time. Look at Eragon, and other movies like it. Look at how much was cut out of the story. Now, look at Game of Thrones. Though there were still things cut, the vast majority of the story remained intact.

I think a studio should snap it up. People are looking at the size of the series and books as a problem, but really it should be seen as a gold mine of material. A studio that bought exclusive rights could be making it for decades. By treating each book as a stand alone project and recasting for each one or after 2 or 3. This would be possable as most of the books have a clear beginning and ending, it would be after WH that would start to present problems in terms of finding a sutable ending, untill the next project.

People might find the idea ridiculous but for the studio that bought it, it could be their flagship show for decades, changing the cast would be no problem look at Dr Who or James Bond both shows have been out 50 years plus and are still going strong.

It could work for tv and film and treated this way there would be no need to cut anything, except what should of been cut out of certain books anyway.