DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favourite SF or Fantasy Monster...

I Love Semirhage

My favourites:

1. The Balrog Of Morgoth - LOTR

Oh so wonderful! It has the horns, the sword, the whip, the wings, and the shadow and flame effect looks awesome. I also like the fact that it's barely described in the book, just mentions shadow and flame. Easily my favourite bit of the whole film trilogy, I loved what they did with it. And to top it all - it kills off the most-loved fantasy character ever.

2. The Male Dragon - Reign Of Fire

I have a thing about dragons, and this was the best one I've ever seen. There is one shot of a ruined London skyline complete with several large dragons nesting in the rooftops. Then the male dragon flies over and blots out the sky, dwarfing all the others, and you realise the sheer size of the thing. Great stuff!

3. Sandworms - Dune

I'm very fond of the idea of a creature that large (about the size of an ocean liner, if I remember right) being no more complex than a worm. And the way they leave trails in the sand and burst out underneath things is rather spectacular!

What are your favourites?

ILS

Tash- The Chronicles of Narnia

This evil god who devours his followers because they do not truely believe in him, in just plain freaky. The art of him carrying around screaming soldiers freaked me out when I was 6.

Shelob- Lord of the Rings

Big gross spider who almost kills the little hero.... what else is there to say?

Ebersisk- Willow

First off, I love this movie. Second, the visual effects, for the time, were pretty darn good, and this guy was really really gross. Plus it gave Val Kilmer a chance to be totally awesome.

Cerberus- Inferno

Three-headed dog who gaurds the gates of Hades? SWEET!

Hydra- Hercules

Cut off his head, grows some more. Pretty terrifying.

Medusa- Clash of the Titans

This woman gave me nightmares for years.

There are more....

The Slake-Moths from China Mieville's Perdido Street Station. These nice critters hypnotise you with their wings and then suck out your subconscious whilst you are bewitched, leaving you a drooling, mindless husk.

The Weaver from the same book. When trouble threatens (i.e. five slake-moths terrorising a city of six million people), naturally you need to call in a transdimensional puzzle-solving spider with a whimsically violent nature and a scissor fixation. Useful when it's on your side, slightly worrying when it isn't.

Ungoliant. Shelob's great, great, great (x500) grandmother. About ten times the size with a far more evil temper. So badass she helped Morgoth destroy the Trees of Light and then nearly kicked his ass when he turned on her. Not to be messed with.

Raest from Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. Jaghut are dangerous at the best of times, but one that's been cursed to stay inside a barrow for a few hundred thousand years is downright lethal, taking down five dragons and vast numbers of magicians before finally being neutralised by an Azath House. Visited later on by the heroes once he's calmed down, he turns out to be an all right bloke.

To correct you Werthead Shelob is the last child of Ungoliant but I'm obsessed so I've listened to it about 1 million times.

My favorite however is the Olephants it's cool how they were depicted and I think PJ got it right

Myrdraal are a close second especially since"the look of the eyeless is fear" and they don't die for a while

Ishamael is cool to

Not strictly a monster but Mashadar and Machinshin are pretty cool too

Archived