DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Questions about BUT

juztin_tyme

I believe in an interview BS said there was a "head slapping" revelation he had when reading notes for the last 3 books. I have finished ToM and I had no such moment. Did I completely miss some huge obvious revelation (can't remember if this is related to the BUT or not, if so I missed that too). Any help would be appreciated. Or just point me to the right thread.

Second question, why is this book called Towers of Midnight. Besides the glossary they really aren't mentioned in the book. Unless I blacked out for a chapter or two. I know the titles do not always directly relate to the action but I thought this one would.

Egwenes dream. She sees thirteen midnight towers, and some begin to fall, but one raises impossibly high and there are six. At the time of the viewinf there are six remaining Forsaken. Moridin, Demandred, Mesaana, Graendal, Cyndane and Moghedien. Moridin is the one that raises impossibly high.

I maintain that the book is called Towers of Midnight as a reference to the Forsaken. The secondary reference is the thing in Seanchan, much in the same way Lord of Chaos is named after the Dark Ones command and theres also a rhyme with the same words in it.

I believe the name of the book is two-fold.

At first I thought it came from Rand doing a fair job of consolidating all the nations to him throughout the book. The Towers of Midnight in Seanchan represents the final consolidation of all nations there under Hawkwing's armies after all.

I thought this because at the time of Egwene's dream, I didn't think Aginor/Osan'gar was truly dead so there were still 7 Forsaken left in my mind but I have since been convinced that he is truly dead so there were only 6.

Either way the title of the book is aptly named, even more so than others really due to having two references.

The "revelation" was, as mentioned, most likely Mat's Ashandarei being a key out of the realms of the Aelfinn and Eelfinn.

Another theory that I like though has to due with what Flinn did with Rand's wounds in his side. Flinn warded them off together, fighting and keeping each other at bay.

A clue to how Rand might be able to use Fain to seal off or maybe even kill the DO.

The "revelation" was, as mentioned, most likely Mat's Ashandarei being a key out of the realms of the Aelfinn and Eelfinn.

Another theory that I like though has to due with what Flinn did with Rand's wounds in his side. Flinn warded them off together, fighting and keeping each other at bay.

A clue to how Rand might be able to use Fain to seal off or maybe even kill the DO.

Brandon confirmed on Twitter that he was refering to the ashandarei.

I also believe the the Fain vs DO might come into play but that is still pending so it couldn't have been the BUT revealed in ToM.

mat asked for a way out during his first visit through the doorway. They threw him out, but that wasn't an actual way out. He was hanged upon the ashanderei but never realized it's blade was also a key to getting out of the tower, just like a bronze knife on the way in.
Done? What was done? What did he mean? “Burn your eyes,” he muttered. “Burn your souls! You are as bad as Aes Sedai. Well, I want a way to be free of Aes Sedai and the Power, and I want to be away from you and back to Rhuidean, if you will not answer me. Open up a door, and let me—”
No, I didn't ask for a weapon. I asked for a way out.

And they gave me this.

Still seems kind of a stretch to me.

Im convinced it hasnt been revealed yet. Definitely not convinced it was the ashanderei

Brandon has already said that he was refering to the ashandarei. Don't have the quote handy but it was posted on a twitter Q&A. However, feel free to argue that it didn't live up to the hype or didn't make enough sense (which I believe is what @moratcorlm's post was saying). I was sure it was the BUT when I read it and I thought it was fairly cool but not mind-blowingly awesome.

Im convinced it hasnt been revealed yet. Definitely not convinced it was the ashanderei

Brandon has already said that he was refering to the ashandarei. Don't have the quote handy but it was posted on a twitter Q&A. However, feel free to argue that it didn't live up to the hype or didn't make enough sense (which I believe is what @moratcorlm's post was saying). I was sure it was the BUT when I read it and I thought it was fairly cool but not mind-blowingly awesome.

it didn't really live up to Lucker's UE thoery, did it? :(

Ah, didnt know that. Oh well. Yep, I agree with moratcorlm

Just to disagree, but the twitter quote from BS that keeps being referred to as "confirmation" that the BUT is the ashanderei, is in response to a quoestion about "a little thing"

BRCayen: @BrandonSandrson I can't figure it out....what was the "little thing" that was missed at the start of the series?

BrandonSandrson: @BRCayen End of chapter 55.

Unless we have another quote from Brandon clearing it up,this is in no way definitive concerning the BUT - specifically because it is referencing a little thing.

Just to disagree, but the twitter quote from BS that keeps being referred to as "confirmation" that the BUT is the ashanderei, is in response to a quoestion about "a little thing"

BRCayen: @BrandonSandrson I can't figure it out....what was the "little thing" that was missed at the start of the series?

BrandonSandrson: @BRCayen End of chapter 55.

Unless we have another quote from Brandon clearing it up,this is in no way definitive concerning the BUT - specifically because it is referencing a little thing.

Right - A little thing that no-one was talking about (unnoticed) that turns out to have a big impact on the plot. This is what set us off on a 200+ page thread of speculation. This is what Brandon is refering to in that answer.

Archived