DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Alexires

Mat's Ashandarei

Hello all!

I am a burgeoning metalsmith/blacksmith and for my first task, I have decided to make Mat's Ashandarei. Nothing like starting out small, eh? ;)

I want to make it as close to Canon as possible, as it is a gift for a friend of mine for his birthday. However, aside from design issues, the main problem is this:

"Thus is our treaty written; thus is agreement made. Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades. What was asked is given; the price is paid."

What is this in the Old Tongue? I have scoured the internet, looking for translations, to no avail. As a last resort, and I am loath to ask for spoonfeeding, but does anyone know how to translate this into the Old Tongue? Further more, how canonical is the Domeran .pdf with respect to the actual (alphabetical) characters for Old Tongue? Is it a complete fabrication or is based upon something from WoT?

Aside from this, I will post picture of the desgin process and then pictures as I make the Ashandarei.

Stay tuned.

The phrase is never fully translated into Old Tongue in the books. So the only chance you have is to try and make something pieced together using any number of Old Tongue references/disctionaries online. In the end, you will just have to make it up and try to make it look authentic.

Some Old Tongue References

http://www.tarmongai.../old_tounge.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tongue[/url]

http://www.google.co...pmgiYoN1_VWDzUQ

What a challenging project, but what a great gift! I hope you post some pictures when its done. Too bad that phase wasn't fully translated but with the links Sam gave hopefully you'll come up with something close.

Probably the best version of it I have seen, was from the Dabel Brothers.

I can't find the exact picture, but I just know that I remember seeing a few pics from there graphic novel on DM here, and I thought it looked spot on.

Theres always this route.

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/the-shadow-rising-by-robert-jordan-ebook.jpg

or this one

TOM_us_hardcover.jpg

Both I think are pretty good, The biggest thing you gotta figure the staff part of the weapon I think the actual blade, is going to be the easiest part. ;)

I have finished modelling the blade in Solidworks and this is what I came up with. It doesn't exactly match the description of the ashandarei (although that is open to interpretation). The entire length of the blade (including tang) is 900mm with the blade itself being 450mm. Hence, the right half is the blade and the left half (thin and thick rectangles) are part of the tang.

See the screenshot below. It will probably be made from 1080, 1095, O1 or D2 and then parkerized for a black finish. I will somehow exclude the outline of the ravens from the parkerization and then will acid/photo etch the ravens into the blade.

Unfortunately, I can't find any black wood that isn't extremely expensive or useless (I intend the Ashandarei to be functional as well as decorational), so I plan to use any hardwood I can get my hands on (with a nice long grain, tip to tip) and then stain it black using "Nightmare Liquid" (Ferric Chloride) to achieve the "black wood".

Now, the WoT compendium states "A line of some strange cursive script [that] ran its length, bracketed by a pair of birds inlaid on metal even darker than the wood. Ravens ... Another pair were engraved on the blade ..."

How do people interperate that? Is the script and the ravens inlaid into the wood and made of the dark metal, or are the ravens and script inlaid into the dark metal and are (presumably) of some lighter shade (silver)? I am more inclined to think the last one as otherwise, it would be a pain in the ass to see.

post-17440-0-79745900-1294995950_thumb.png

I have finished modelling the blade in Solidworks and this is what I came up with. It doesn't exactly match the description of the ashandarei (although that is open to interpretation). The entire length of the blade (including tang) is 900mm with the blade itself being 450mm. Hence, the right half is the blade and the left half (thin and thick rectangles) are part of the tang.

See the screenshot below. It will probably be made from 1080, 1095, O1 or D2 and then parkerized for a black finish. I will somehow exclude the outline of the ravens from the parkerization and then will acid/photo etch the ravens into the blade.

Unfortunately, I can't find any black wood that isn't extremely expensive or useless (I intend the Ashandarei to be functional as well as decorational), so I plan to use any hardwood I can get my hands on (with a nice long grain, tip to tip) and then stain it black using "Nightmare Liquid" (Ferric Chloride) to achieve the "black wood".

Now, the WoT compendium states "A line of some strange cursive script [that] ran its length, bracketed by a pair of birds inlaid on metal even darker than the wood. Ravens ... Another pair were engraved on the blade ..."

How do people interperate that? Is the script and the ravens inlaid into the wood and made of the dark metal, or are the ravens and script inlaid into the dark metal and are (presumably) of some lighter shade (silver)? I am more inclined to think the last one as otherwise, it would be a pain in the ass to see.

Sounds like the script is inlaid into the wood, and that theirs a pair of ravens, like that on blade, except the ravents are 'blacker' than the wood, not the script.

So the script could easilly be say, Gold, but its 'bracketed' by a pair of Birds, that are 'blacker' than the the 'black' wood.

You know, if you found some iron-oak, then the staff part could be used to pound nails in to. ;)

Sounds like the script is inlaid into the wood, and that theirs a pair of ravens, like that on blade, except the ravents are 'blacker' than the wood, not the script.

So the script could easilly be say, Gold, but its 'bracketed' by a pair of Birds, that are 'blacker' than the the 'black' wood.

You know, if you found some iron-oak, then the staff part could be used to pound nails in to. ;)

Ahh, that make sense and makes it significantly easier.... assuming that I use something reasonably hard as the script (just hammer the script into the haft). I probably won't use silver (I'm not that loaded and I'm not getting paid for it anyway) although I might be able to use hard silver solder and lightly heat it to make bending easier. Cursive would be easy to do like that. I could use clear polyurethane varnish over the script to hold it in place, preserve the silver and still keep it visible.

If I used Iron Oak or another reasonably neutral coloured wood, I could stain it until it was almost black (more of a dark grey) so that the black inlaid ravens are visible. Parkerise some steel and there; black ravens. This is getting easier and easier.

It might be quite easy to make the cursive spiral around the haft (which I think looks better than just having it running in a straight line) if I used a marker to mark the cursive places, burned the script into the haft with one of those hot marking tools (for burning wood... who would have guessed) and then removed the charcoal until I reach the desired depth. This could possibly even be done before the darkening of the wood (I'd have to test the effect of Nightmare Liquid on polyurethane before I did something like that or use Minwax black stain which is polyurethane based stain).

Still all good ideas. This is getting more and more feasible. This thread is relevant to my interests. Keep the good ideas coming, guys. The blade will be cut out soon and you'll see it.

I like that blade much better than the one on the book cover. I know that traditionally, it would have looked that way, but I always got the feeling, from reading the books, that the blade would be just a bit broader, especially nearing the end just before the tip.

I don't think Iron Oak would be your best bet at doing the burning-part for the script, It would take-alot. Plus, any modifications to the actual wood, would probably require tools you'd ussually use for metals. (The wood is pretty tough, its not the hardest wood out there, but its on the top 20 list. :P)

A softer wood isn't necissarilly a 'bad' thing either, assuming it has good... not tensile strength, but the 'bending' strength. Better for the wood to bend, then to snap. ;)

A softer wood isn't necissarilly a 'bad' thing either, assuming it has good... not tensile strength, but the 'bending' strength. Better for the wood to bend, then to snap. ;)

Anything else that you'd suggest? I sort of went through some lists on martial arts forums for what they thought a good training wood was.

Ok, sorry it has taken me so long to reply, things haven't been progressing as fast as I would like. Originally I wanted to use CPM 3V as the steel for the blade, however this is not sold in the lengths I need it in here. Same with D2, 5160 or anything like that. So I am now going with a steel called XK9258S which has been used for a few swords that I can find and hardens to approximately 52-55RC. Another option was to go with SUP9 (a Japanese spring steel) however as I have found blades made from XK9258S, I'll go with the flow.

The wood I've selected is Merbau which looks to be a beautiful wood and will be a shame to stain it black, but a job is a job. Tomorrow, I go out and purchase the rest of the supplies I need (the pipe which will become the end caps of the haft, the metal for the blade, some polyurethane and "silver" powder (aluminium powder) which I will inlay into the haft using a dremel tool (tried it the other day and it works well; it looks like I'm using a fountain pen but on wood).

So, the rough plan is this: Hammer the piping until it is an oval shape with the long and short axis being what I require (40x25mm) or around there. Remove wooden material until I can make the wood fit within the metal. Weld end caps on the piping. Cut blade out and make possible adjustments to the sizing of the tang (with relation to the end cap as the blade is as wide as the end cap on its long axis), then get the blade heat treated and maybe get the edge nitride treated. Cut 190-200mm slits down the blade end of the haft to accommodate the blade and then (this is the hard bit) drill a 250mm hole 8mm (OD) straight down the haft (at the bottom of the slit) to make space for the hidden tang part. Once that is done, then inscribe the script on the haft using the dremel tool (and some guide lines!!!) in a cursive fashion wrapping around the haft from end to end of the wood (till the beginnings of the caps). Now stain the entire wood length black using Nightmare Liquid or maybe the polyurethane stain. Make a slurry of aluminium/polyurethane to put into the scripting then brush some Aluminium over the top to make it shine. Fill the rest of the script with polyurethane and sand the wood a little. Drill holes through the wood/end caps to rivet the blade in place. Parkerize the blade/end caps using wax to protect the steel in the shape of ravens (the outline will be shiny and the inside will be black and shiny to give the raven outline). Fit everything together and rivet the blade/end cap in place. Clean up the rivets and (hopefully) stain them black using a hardening solution (need to test this to ensure it is the same colour) or leave them shiny (might be nice). Oil the wood. Done.

Here we will have a silver inlaid script in cursive. On both end caps will be maybe 2 ravens (one on each side) at the end of the script and the opposite side. I may acid etch these ravens in to "inlay" them as the description says. There will be ravens on the blade (on both sides or maybe just one) although the description says "On the blade there were a pair of ravens" so perhaps I will just have a pair on one side of the blade. Hmmm, I am a sucker for symmetry. We'll see.

There is still one thing stumping me: the script. What should I have it in? English? Latin? A non-western text language like sanskrit? Sanskrit might be nice. I've sent an email to Brandon Sanderson regarding this very question, but I haven't heard back (and may not)... Thoughts?

What do you all think?

Edited by Alexires

Hahaha, thanks for the comments guys. This isn't showcase yet. I plan to cut the blade out tomorrow, so hopefully I will have pictures of that before the week is out.

Moochie: That is a good idea. I was a little worried about using something so rigid as the epoxy as any flex in the haft would cause it to break/snap out of the groove for the writing. I was hoping polyurethane would be a little more forgiving.

I might even take pictures as I go so you can see the process step by step.

I vote for pictures as you go....*grabs her notepad and pen* If only I were anywhere close to being able to something like this!

To be honest if I had to learn a craft of some sort, beyond that of the pen, I would love it to be some form of metalworking. It just seems so awesome.

To be honest if I had to learn a craft of some sort, beyond that of the pen, I would love it to be some form of metalworking. It just seems so awesome.

Agree completely! This project sounds so awesome. Can't wait to see how it's coming.