DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Destruction of Stedding

Shimmer

For me, anytime stedding have been mentioned throughout the series, it has always seemed to me as though it's like in the eye of a storm where everything is calm and is indestructible. So how exactly are stedding destroyed or are they merely inaccessible due to the Ogier forgetting the locations? And if so, can a stedding be destroyed?

Discuss.

I think that its some protection the pattern has from the world, and it takes tremendous upheaval to destroy a stedding, either complete destruction of life in the location, or cataclysmic changing of the geography, that changes the state of the pattern at that location

I think that even if ogier forget their location the stedding would be destroyed. Ogier live for their trees, and the Great trees, are massively huge, and likely to have some kind of power of their own (these trees are older than the Breaking) and are likely to be a natural form of Avendesora.

There were Great Trees planted in the groves in the cities that the Ogier built so I'd think that the Ogier were the only ones capable of growing Great Trees rather than the Great Trees being connected to the Stedding in any special way. Also remember that the abandoned Stedding where Perrin, Egwene and Elyas sheltered from the ravens in tEotW had no mention of Great Trees, and that was still there after a few thousand years...

There were Great Trees planted in the groves in the cities that the Ogier built so I'd think that the Ogier were the only ones capable of growing Great Trees rather than the Great Trees being connected to the Stedding in any special way. Also remember that the abandoned Stedding where Perrin, Egwene and Elyas sheltered from the ravens in tEotW had no mention of Great Trees, and that was still there after a few thousand years...

Were there great trees in the Ogier Groves? I remember Loial mentioning growing every type of tree that would grow in the area, but no mention of the Great Trees

Were there great trees in the Ogier Groves? I remember Loial mentioning growing every type of tree that would grow in the area, but no mention of the Great Trees

I'm fairly sure there were, but my books are about 70 miles away so I can't check for a while. I do seem to remember them being mentioned in the description of the grove in Tar Valon, and I'm also thinking about Loial being angry about them being cut down, but I might just be imagining things. I'm certain they weren't mentioned RE the abandoned stedding, though.

You cannot channel the One Power in a Stedding (did Verin have a Well during TGH when she delved the Ogier?) but does that empty zone apply to the True Power as well? Far Madding's Guardian replicates the Stedding Effect, but Rand claimed it "would stop the One Power only".

You cannot channel the One Power in a Stedding (did Verin have a Well during TGH when she delved the Ogier?) but does that empty zone apply to the True Power as well? Far Madding's Guardian replicates the Stedding Effect, but Rand claimed it "would stop the One Power only".
As to whether a stedding would stop TP, your guess is as good as anyones. But Verin didn't delve the Ogier in TGH, she touched him. No OP involved, just hands (in WH, Berelain was able to feel the effects of Perrin going too deep into the wolf dream, and thus his soul being nerly absent from his body - he was cold to the touch. Verin simply felt the same thing).

Archived