DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2010 Top Singles - It's a Knockout (Winner: Airplanes by B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams)

Corki

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, 11pm (GMT) has come and gone, and this is still a tie at 3 votes each. Because of that, I get the deciding vote - and I am voting for Cee Lo Green and Forget You, which wins 4-3. I just felt that Rihanna's song was bland and boring.

The fourth tie is on the way!

Round 1, Tie 4

Everybody Hurts by Helping Haiti (10)

Following the destructive earthquake that hit the Caribbean island of Haiti on 12th January 2010, the music world got together to release a charity single. The song picked was Everybody Hurts, R.E.M.'s song from the early 1990s. The idea was that of the then British Prime Minister Gordon Brown (good riddance - couldn't help it!). Simon Cowell (serial music destroyer) was the man who got the artists together. About 205,000 copies sold in 2 days, with a reported 435,000 in the first week, making it the fastest-selling charity record of the 21st century in the UK. Enjoy playing "guess the artist"!

vs.

OMG by Usher feat. will.i.am (4)

Really, how can you call a song "OMG"? Released in March 2010, it reached number 1 in the UK. The song features will.i.am, who also wrote and produced the song. Auto-tuning is used in several lines, as well as Jock Jams-esque sports arena chanting. The song garnered a mixed reception from critics. I personally think Usher should focus more on singing than his silly dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPm25m8DZpA&ob=av3nl

Voting ends Friday 14th January 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Obviously two "popular" songs then since no-one has voted yet.

Time to end that. OMG was so pointless, it shouldn't have been made. At least Everybody Hurt had a purpose, and gets my vote.

Round 1, Tie 5

Just The Way You Are (Amazing) by Bruno Mars (3)

Just The Way You Are (Amazing) was the lead single from the début album of Bruno Mars. Released in the UK in September 2010, it went in at number 1, which is a position the song reached in many charts across the world. In the US, it was released in June, and had sold over 3.2m digital copies. The music video features actress Nathalie Kelley.

vs.

Rude Boy by Rihanna (13)

Released in and around February 2010, Rude Boy scored many top 10 placings in charts across the world, reaching number 1 in the UK and the US. It is an up-tempo pop song with influences of ska and dancehall. The lyrics make references to sex and teasing. The song's "ragamuffin-style" was well received by critics.

Voting ends Wednesday 19th January 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 6

Fireflies by Owl City (5)

Yet another début single from a début album! Fireflies comes from Owl City's album Ocean Eyes. It was released in July 2009 due to an illegal version being released. The song features Relient K vocalist Matt Thiessen as a guest vocalist. To date, in the UK alone, it has sold 639,587 for the synthpop group.

vs.

We Speak No Americano by Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP (9)

The song was released by Australian duo Yolanda Be Cool and producer DCUP in February 2010, achieving success across most of the globe, including number 1's in the UK and most of Europe. The radio edit (the video) is extremely short at 2 minutes, 19 seconds long. It samples the 1956 song Tu vuò fà l'americano by Renato Carosone. When I first heard the song, it did nothing but annoy me - but it has slowly grown on me, and I think the music video is quite funny!

Voting ends Wednesday 19th January 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Thanks to Krak, we have a tie in one of the contests. Not much longer to go until time is up. And if it is still a tie then, I am casting the deciding vote.

*ponders evil things to those that are indecisive and can't vote*

Bruno Mars easily wins the first tie by 3 votes to 0.

Krak, being the muppet he is, made the second tie a draw at one vote each. Since the votes are level, I get to cast the deciding vote - and that is for We Speak No Americano by Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP, which progresses by 2 votes to 1.

The penultimate tie of the 1st Round is on the way.

Round 1, Tie 7

Empire State Of Mind (Part II) by Alicia Keys (12)

The song is a reply to the Billboard Hot 100 number-one hit Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z, on which Alicia Keys features. The song was released as a single in the UK in February 2010, where it reached a high of number 4 in the charts. The song appears on the soundtrack for Sex and the City 2. There is also no official music video for the track.

vs.

Airplanes by B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams (7)

Taken from B.o.B.'s debut album, the track features Hayley Williams, the lead vocalist of the Paramore. Released in the UK in August, it reached the top of the UK charts. Internationally, it performed well, with many top 10 placings. The duo did not get into the studio to record the track; instead, they performed it together for the first time at 2010 MTV Video Music Awards. Airplanes, Part II has been released as a sequel, featuring rapper Eminem as well as Williams.

Voting ends Thursday 20th January 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Well, it looks like I have somehow managed to get two decent songs in the same tie...

This is quite a tough one to decide on, as I like both. But I think Airplanes just about edges it.

Round 1, Tie 8

Telephone by Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce (15)

Released in January 2010, the song achieved numerous number 1s across the world, including the UK. The song was written for Britney Spears by Lady Gaga and Rodney Jerkins, but was rejected by Spears' record label. Instead, Lady Gaga teamed up with Beyonce. The main inspiration behind the song was Gaga's fear of suffocation as she felt that she seldom found time to just let loose and have fun. The song consists of an expanded bridge, verse-rap and an epilogue, and was well received by critics.

vs.

When We Collide by Matt Cardle (2)

Time to bash a song and why it exists! ]If you didn't get my view on the X-Factor when this appeared in "Original vs. Cover"[/color], you're going to get it again! It's just a glorified karaoke contest for mostly talentless people who want to make a quick bid for stardom. The song ended up as the Christmas number 1, despite campaigns (there were too many) to stop the nemesis of the music industry Simon Cowell like it did in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmffsSRWaUk&ob=av2nl

Voting ends Friday 21st January 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived