DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's nausea when channeling

herid

At the end of TGS Rand and Lews Therin became one person, Rand destroyed the Key and the most powerful ter angreal in existance and basically infused himself with light.

Ok, so, the sickness and nausea he experienced was due to the huge amount of channeling he had done while the source was still tainted. Even after he cleansed saidan he still experienced this sickness because the taint is still within him. But, now the light is also within him in abundance, pushing back the effect of sickness the taint causes... The vision Min saw of two men becoming one was Lews Therin and Rand. Rand no longer hears Therins voice inside his head, but has, in a way, absorbed the knowledge and personality of Therin.

no, the sickness is completely unrelated to the taint which is why it didn't stop after the cleansing of saidin. It's caused by Rand's link with Moridin. See Luckers' post above. He gives an an excellent explanation of this. Also, RJ explicitly confirmed that it has nothing to do with the taint.

http://www.wotdb.com/interviews/question/587

Lastly, the two men merging in Min's vision are not Rand and LT but Rand and Moridin. Rand and LT were always the same person as Rand explains in ToM when talking to Min on the way to Far madding.

Ok, I see that you are right about the sickness. But hasn't Rand had a connection with a form of the dark one in one way or another since book 1? His dreams have been invaded since the beginning. Does this indicate he has had a connection to each individual Forsaken who were imitating the Dark One and invading his dreams? Or only Moridin?

Yes, I remember Rand telling Min that he and Lews were always the same person, but Rand never realized it before. The voice in his head was seperate from his own... Then, question: When exactly did Min have the vision of two men becoming one? Also, what is the effect of the two overlying injuries on Rand's side?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if it's possible to shield someone using a well.

Wells enable you to channel whilst shielded, so I doubt it. Of course there may be a way of weaving a different shield to block this.

I may have missed it but do we know for sure that wells enable one to channel whilst shielded? It works in Far Madding, yes, but that's not quite the same as being shielded.

Jordan's quote above says that shielding someone prevents them from channeling both TP and OP, while the Far Madding terangreal only stops prevents channeling OP. so we know that a shield does not work the same as that terangreal.

We do indeed know for sure. From my thread about what Cadsuane and Nynaeve's ter'angreal can do...

Q: Can someone channel from a Well while shielded?

RJ: Yes, they could. If they had the Well.

[tarvalon.net Q&A 26th of Febuary 2003, found through the Theoryland Interview Database]

Thanks a lot. That clears up that one.

At the end of TGS Rand and Lews Therin became one person, Rand destroyed the Key and the most powerful ter angreal in existance and basically infused himself with light.

Ok, so, the sickness and nausea he experienced was due to the huge amount of channeling he had done while the source was still tainted. Even after he cleansed saidan he still experienced this sickness because the taint is still within him. But, now the light is also within him in abundance, pushing back the effect of sickness the taint causes... The vision Min saw of two men becoming one was Lews Therin and Rand. Rand no longer hears Therins voice inside his head, but has, in a way, absorbed the knowledge and personality of Therin.

no, the sickness is completely unrelated to the taint which is why it didn't stop after the cleansing of saidin. It's caused by Rand's link with Moridin. See Luckers' post above. He gives an an excellent explanation of this. Also, RJ explicitly confirmed that it has nothing to do with the taint.

http://www.wotdb.com/interviews/question/587

Lastly, the two men merging in Min's vision are not Rand and LT but Rand and Moridin. Rand and LT were always the same person as Rand explains in ToM when talking to Min on the way to Far madding.

I disagree about your interpretation about LTT and Rand. They were always the same soul, but they were very different personalities.

Well, we'll just have to disagree on that one. I really don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of that issue.

That being said, here is my essay on the 'sickness' and Rand's link...

yes, you gave that link earlier in the thread. It's a great essay.

Archived