DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Name of the Wheel of time World

Terminus

Now, this may have been said before, but I'm new(Infact, ijust read the series over the last two weeks), so I thought I'd mention it.

I'm sure someone noticed this before fans settled on the name "Randland", but i was flipping through my paperback of The Eye of the World, and I noticed something. RJ might have never directly named his universe, but he may have named it indirectly before the first chapter was ever even read. Doesn't that sound like RJ?

At the end of the prologue, there are two passages of prophecy. The first, (The Shadow fell upon the Land...)states underneath:

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,

The Breaking of the World

Author Unknown, The Fourth Age)

I'm assuming here that "The Breaking of the World" is a translation of the Old Tongue title.

Now, following the the "predicate-verb-subject" RJ uses, Camora is the word for "World". Of course, he dosen't seem to use that setup until afer the first book, so the words "Taerin" and "Aleth" could also mean "World".

I would think that, in that case, it would most likely be Tearin, given it's resemblance to the word "Terran" commonly found in literature. Also, if we look at the Old Tongue words Sei'taer(level eyes)

Taer(level), we see that the root of Taerin, Taer, means "level", which certainly seems to fit the way the Randland universe works. The "in" suffix seems to indicate pluralization, which would make the word "Taerin" mean "Levels", "The Levels" or "All Levels". That would certainlt fit with the sort of view the people of the Age of Legends would view their world, given their experimentation with the portal stones.

It's just a thought that struck me. Again, Sorry if it's been brought up before. I checked Gareis's Old Tongue Dictionary and The Compleat old Tongue sites, and it isn't there, so...

I'VE GOT IT!!!!

Rand, Mat, and Perrin use their massive powers of womanizing to piss of all the main women, who simultaneously give a giant *sniff* over the Pit of Doom, which catches the Dark One's attention, and scares Him off.

Seriously, it would scare me off.

Then they would rename Randland, The Land of a Thousand Sniffs.

I've always thought of the place as Wheel World. I don't know it's just what I always think of when I slide into one of the stories, checking out for a while and I'm going back to Wheel World. Then it kind of looks like Wally World now that I see it in writing and that is not where I was going with this at all.

Archived