DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TFOH: Who taught Aviendha to travel? Did she just make it up to flee Rand?

Khosann

Who taught Aviendha to travel? Did she just make it up to flee Rand? Or did Wise Ones teach her? I know that Rand knows skimming but who else knows to travel as of TFOH --aside from Forsaken? To refine my question: Did Rand learn to travel from Aviendha by looking at her gateway? Or did he learn to travel before TFOH? How the Aes Sedai and Rand learn to travel?

How Aviendha could travel to a place that she does not know? Is this the difference between traveling and skimming? It seems you do not have to know your target location very well to travel there.

Aviendha taught herself to travel, though she forgot (due to the trauma) how she'd done it and had to be retaught by Elayne. I think Rand learned how to Skim by himself, but Asmo taught him how to Travel - I'm not 100% on that though.

Skimming: you need to know where you're going TO, but you don't need to know where you're starting from

Travelling: you need to know where you're starting FROM, but you don't need to know where you're going to. You could end up anywhere though, so that's dangerous - better to have a place "in mind".

Aviendha taught herself to travel, though she forgot (due to the trauma) how she'd done it and had to be retaught by Elayne. I think Rand learned how to Skim by himself, but Asmo taught him how to Travel - I'm not 100% on that though.

Skimming: you need to know where you're going TO, but you don't need to know where you're starting from

Travelling: you need to know where you're starting FROM, but you don't need to know where you're going to. You could end up anywhere though, so that's dangerous - better to have a place "in mind".

And who taught Elayne? It seems as of TFOH only Rand and Forsaken know how to travel. Am I correct?

And who taught Elayne? It seems as of TFOH only Rand and Forsaken know how to travel. Am I correct?

As of TFOH, yes. Then Egwene figures out the female form of Traveling in LOC, which she teaches to everyone in Salidar, including Elayne.

Not all weaves Third Age channelers do are taught; only a number of weaves are taught. Some the channelers figure out on their own, some come by non-intentionally; that later generally in their beginning stages of channeling.

That first time Aviendha Traveled, I take it was non-intentional for her.

The Wise Ones did not know Traveling until Egwene taught them; among other channeling things.

Aviendha taught herself to travel, though she forgot (due to the trauma) how she'd done it and had to be retaught by Elayne.

I don't think sleeping with Rand would be that awful that she'd end up with PTSD.

I think she forgot how just because she didn't know what she was doing at the time. A lot of wilders figure out how to do things just sort of by instinct, and I don't think they necessarily remember how the weave worked later.

Someone else answered this, but just to add, during one of Egwene's POVs she thought to herself something along the lines of being proud to have discovered Traveling, since most of the other new tricks the girls were impressing the Little Tower with were actually just stuff they got out of Moghedien.

Aviendha taught herself to travel, though she forgot (due to the trauma) how she'd done it and had to be retaught by Elayne.

I don't think sleeping with Rand would be that awful that she'd end up with PTSD.

No, but almost drowning, if you are alredy afraid of water might mess your head up just a wee bit...

No, but almost drowning, if you are alredy afraid of water might mess your head up just a wee bit...

Not to mention the fact that she slept with her friend's boyfriend - some people would feel a bit guilty about that :tongue:

Not to mention the fact that she slept with her friend's boyfriend - some people would feel a bit guilty about that :tongue:

Elgee, I think you may have a point about that...especially Avi...lol

If im not mistaken at first egwene asks moggy about male travelling and then moggy says no you have to make two places in the pattern seem the same to yourself for female or something along those lines and egwene could do it instantly because she had just used that technique to enter TAR bodily to travel to Salidar

Dyler's got it right, and yes Aviendha taught herself. Further, Aviendha struggles with the weave for gateways, she cannot make a gateway as well as most of the other women, normally, and that is because the way she did the weave for the gateway was different somehow...and normally sisters only learn a weave one way, so perhaps there's something more to Aviendha's gateway than a regular gateway, or perhaps not.

Who taught Aviendha to travel? Did she just make it up to flee Rand? Or did Wise Ones teach her? I know that Rand knows skimming but who else knows to travel as of TFOH --aside from Forsaken? To refine my question: Did Rand learn to travel from Aviendha by looking at her gateway? Or did he learn to travel before TFOH? How the Aes Sedai and Rand learn to travel?

TFOH: Who taught Aviendha to travel? Did she just make it up to flee Rand? How she could travel to a place she does not know?

How Aviendha could travel to a place that she does not know? Is this the difference between traveling and skimming? It seems you do not have to know your target location very well to travel there.

Dues Ex Machina

- Fish

Archived