DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Samuraiflip05

Ogier discuss the WoT Review

tEotW

Chapter 10: Leavetaking

- Starting out in the barn of the Winespring Inn, Rand notices the variety of horses saddled and ready for riding. Lan continues to treat the trio as if they were small children...and in some ways they continue to act like them. Their banter about the weapons each carries is a prime example of this. At times they still seem unsure as to whether or not this is a grand adventure, or a life/death situation.

- Lan's continued gruff treatment at times comes across as rudeness, or even hostility. I can recall the first time I read these chapters, catching on to the fact that he was more trying to make them understand the gravity of their situation....and a little indecision if they were worth the risk to Moiraine.

- In true youthful fashion, and maybe a premonition that Rand had more to him than the others, the trio talk and realize that Rand was the only one to go against the AS's wishes and speak to people about the events and the journey ahead. When the other two assure Moiraine that they left only notes, she deems it irreversible and presses on.

- From here, I think that poor Lan and Moiraine's plans go completely awry(Much for the betterment of the future. (I think these next few paragraphs offer a great insight into the idea of ta'veren. Perhaps with all three together at this moment, the future was being written step by step. What happens if Mat or Perrin are not there? Does Egwene not catch on to the signs of departure? Is Thom still inside the inn as opposed to the hayloft? What changes to the future occur with the smallest of differences now?) Egwene joins in to the group due to some good old fashioned detective work. The first time through I bought in on the idea that Egwene could not be left behind, but of course later chapters reveal a much more likely reason. Thom's inclusion is a little more confusing. Obviously there would be other ways to handle leaving him behind, including bribery, yet he is allowed to join them. We know that Moiraine does not learn of thier future until Cairhein, so is this just another twist in the tangled web the ta'veren weave?

- It's funny to note things the second or third time through. One great example is Perrin being the one to react incredulously to Lan's statement about wolves being good. Shortly after passing the last houses Rand catches sight of something in the sky. When he explains this to Lan, they are sent on a wild ride into the night.

The first time I read this chapter, I couldn't help but think that the boys' banter and their reactions was to hide their nervousness at the prospect of leaving their homes - possibly for good. Caught up in the middle of a trolloc attack, hearing tales of war and false dragons, and being in the presence of an actual Aes Sedai and her warder... it would've been a lot for a trio of village boys to take in. I'd certainly have tried to cover the way I was feeling about leaving my home like that. I'm not sure I would've been as assertive as Egwene about leaving.

I thought it odd that Thom and Egwene joined the party there and then, too, but on hindsight I guess it was the boys' Ta'veren abilities bringing those the Pattern needed together at the right time. The first time I read EotW, though, I thought it was incredibly convenient that they all joined up like that. I think I was going through a cynical phase, back then. :smile::rolleyes:

The Draghkar. For some reason, this was when I really started getting interested in the story. If I remember correctly, the next chapter proved to be one of my favourites in the entire book.

Also, I've just finished a rather lengthy reread of the Discworld books, so I'll now be able to devote my full attention to the WoT reread.

Oh, I agree that they were very nervous. Look at the paragraph where Rand notices the Dragkhar....He sees it because he is looking beyond the rooftops of the last houses at the edge of the village. He even muses to himself that he is a poor excuse for an adventurer...being homesick before he leaves.

Ok - I've caught up, and I'm finding that I'm able to pay much more attention to the way the book is written as well as the storyline. I'm also surprised at how much foreshadowing I'm noticing on this readthrough. (I've only really read the WoT two or three times)

I think Moirane has already taken a shine to Thom by this time, which is why she lets him come. On subsequent re-reads, I've thought that Moirane's spell-binding narrative on Manetheren isn't just a crowd appeaser - She's beating Thom at his own game. Without music. The opening salvo of their courtship.

Also note the part where Lan asks Moiraine 'stiffly formal, "Is this part of the Pattern too, Moiraine Sedai?"'. He probably thinks Moiraine is acting illogically.

:moiraine::wub::thom:

Edited by Val Mickey

Good points. It is rather interesting that she would decide that he is included. I think maybe it is too soon for their romance which leads me to believe that perhaps the real reason she allowed it is that she saw more in him than a simple gleeman. She seems surprisingly intuitive to what's around her. Very observant, and very meticulous.

well later on in tGH she admints to Suian that she's seend Elyane up close; its the reason why she's so sure that Egwene & Nyn will out rank Elyane in ability concrening the source. (it's in Chapter 4, which is where i'm at in my reread and the only reason why i remember it)

this means that she would have known about Thoms being more than a simple gleeman; since we also know that he was aroudn Elyane when she was younger (the whole pulling the mustach infatuation). it also was pretty well known how angery Morgase was with Thom when he left, and being from the tower i'm sure Moriane & other AS know of thoms affairs with the queen. especially since he went head to head with the Reds over his nephew. not to mention could have met him before if she had been in Camelyn while he was there.

but i do agree, Lan's gruff attitude toward including Thom is funny; especailly knowing what happens with Thom & Moriane. given the Bond between Lan & Moriane, he would porbably be able to feel Morainesslight attraction to Thom if there was one, which could explain his dislike of Thom lmao. even though Lan didn't love Moriane in that sense, it woudl be more like the protective older brother not thinking hes good enough for his sister and that he's gonna get her into trouble.

right now though, it might be a slight attraction, or interest. or maybe even admiration or respect for how Thom thought of his nephew and what he was willing to lose by taking on the Reds to protect his nephew. especially given that Moriane herself intended to protect a male channeler from the Reds once she found the Dragon.

I'm pretty certain Moiraine has already fallen hard for Thom. Maybe it's wishful thinking, maybe I'm a romantic (I'm not).

In the next chapter, as the gang engages Hightower and his cronies for the ferry, Thom produces a flourish. This is cheered on by Egwene, who claps in delight, and by Moiraine who laughs delightfully. Now Moiraine, who was brought up at the Sun Palace (bards and gleemen and prestidigitators galore), who is Aes Sedai (always in control), is behaving like a country girl! Why? She has a crush on Thom, and like anybody with a crush, she has begun to adore everything the object of her desire does. Perhaps adore is too strong a word, yet the argument stands.

I would've posted after the next review, but I couldn't help it.

:moiraine::wub::thom:

or it could be, because they were in front of a group of people at the time and she was trying to keep the fact that she was AS a secret due to the White Cloaks; that she did this to keep her facade of being a High Lady in tact.

think of how Gleemen are treated around Randland; and that Moriane was pretending to be a Lady at the time (of Noble birth but not so noble or high up as to detect unwelcome notice) if she's putting on the facade of being a Lady of a lower house then seeing a Gleeman would still be a welcoem and joyous occasion to her.

i think, tbh, your thinking too much into the future and missing the present surroundings in the book. Moraine isn't sure she ends up with him until Rhuidian (Book 4) when she travels into the rings and sees her possible futures.

also, near the end of EotW, she remarks to Rand that she doesn't think thom is dead. hinting that she knows more about him, and about his past. i think they're in Caymlen at this point.

if she were fawning over him as a school girl would a lover, liek what your suggesting; she woudl have had a noticable emotional reaction to news that not only had Thom faced a Fade with only his knives as defense, but that he was believed dead. If, at this point, she was so in love with him as you suggest; woudln't she have asked Rand for one of the things he's carrying that are Thoms? instead, her reaction to this is not overly noticable mor than hinting that she doesn't think Thom is so easily killed (given his past, the Morgase issue and his Nephew; i could see how she woudl draw these conclusions).

also, if she was so infatuated with him at this point; when they are reunited after hes believed to be dead, wouldnt she have atleast ran into his arms or proffessed great relief over him being alive. if memory serves, all i rememebr was a smile and words to say "glad your safe" then back to business as normal.

Red, I am not certain how that comment to Siuam would have worked. I seem to recall that the ability cannot be sensed until after puberty. If that is the case she would have had to see Elayne within the last few years. Maybe as she made her way to the Two Rivers. We will have to revisit that once we are in tGH.

Chapter 11: The Road to Taren Ferry

- Panic and fear are setting in hard on the group as they flee into the night. Running from crateures out of nightmares by running headlong to a darkened wood seems a little counterproductive in a way. Rand spends nearly as much energy keeping his horse Cloud from racing ahead, as he does craning to look behind him as they ran.

- Realizing that Bela could not possibly keep pace with the other horses, Rand begins to fear that Egwene may not be important enough to Lan to wait for. He tries desperately to will Bela on...something that I payed virtually no attention to until much later in the book. Oddly enough, even when Moiraine notices that Bela is surprisingly unfazed by the run, I did not link it to Rand. I blame a lack of understanding for the way the One Power works more than anything else. I simply did not find the importance of one horse running faster than it should.

- Finding themselves suddenly at Watch Hill faster than they could have imagined, Rand watches as Moiraine washes weariness away from both the people and the horses in the group. Once again we are treated to Rand's mild defiance as he challenges Moiraine on the condition of the horses before she heals them. It is almost silly to look back on later rereads and think about how obvious Jordan made Rand's difference from the others.

- Without warning the Draghkar swoops in and spooks the horses. Once the party is able to quiet the horses, Lan orders them to mount up as the Myrdraal now knows where they are. Only then does Rand realize he is standing there with the sword drawn looking to the sky. As they flee through Watch Hill into the night, Rand is awed at bela's ability to run with the other horses, and baffled at Egwene's apparent delight in the current events. As the group ran in a giant cluster, Rand began to realize that there was a fog forming in the night. A fog that formed against normal environmental conditions.

- As the fog envelopes the party, Lan notes that there is only one place they cna go. As Rand comes to grips with the idea that the fog is Power-wrought, the party reaches Taren Ferry. So distracted by his thoughts that when lan and moiraine drew rein, he overshoots them by several strides...drawing a slight jibe from Lan(A joke from the man of granite? I almost laughed at that part).

- As we recieve a quick lesson in the people of Taren Ferry(and thier slyness) Lan pounds furiously on the door of the Ferrymaster. After a brief session of haggling that borders more on outright bribery, the party is ready to cross on the ferry.

I read through this chapter quickly, getting caught up in the party's flight. To be honest, I didn't catch on to Rand inadvertantly giving Bela the energy to run either - I thought it was either Moiraine's doing or some kind of special ability that Bela had. The phrasing that RJ used "Rand willed Bela to run faster" (I'm paraphrasing) is used a lot in the fiction I read, so I didn't read any other meaning into it than that; Rand wanting Bela to keep up with the others. Looking back, I realise that the words RJ used were almost meticulously chosen to either give hints or conceal things, almost like an Aes Sedai. :aessedai:

The other thing that stood out to me about the chapter is how free Lan was with the gold when trying to motivate Master Hightower to take them across the river. The first time I read it, I wondered if it wouldn't have caused more trouble for them: whether or not it would be easier for their enemies* to track them by hearing rumours, as a group of travellers in a hurry, spending a lot of gold in an area unlikely to see much of it at all, would be something that would stick in the memories of a lot of people. Later, I realised that it was just Moiraine (and Lan's) methods of both giving an incentive to Hightower and compensation.

* I didn't mean the draghkar here. I meant any other enemies who might be following - like whoever might have sent the trollocs to Emond's Field, for example. I know otherwise now.

Edited by Amethea
Spelling

Red, I think :moiraine: had a crush on :thom: at this point. Only a crush. It becomes a full fledged Romance at Baerlon. You must admit that the low, delighted laugh upon Thom's flourish is out of character for Moiraine. This is the only thing I can attribute it to.

Notice how the dogs bark as they pass? Especially after the fog? Is that RJ prepping us on the dogs hate AS thread? It's more likely just the normal response to strangers, but I like to think otherwise. You know, to worship RJ.

Also Rand's response to the Draghkar - to draw his sword - is balanced by the fly going into his mouth, as he stares at Egwene. I remember the first time I read this part, coz a few days later, a fly went into my mouth (on a bike, riding fast, you know how it goes - esp. when there are a lot of flies) and I started laughing (after coughing for a while) and my friends stared at me like I was nuts. I just smiled and said that it was the best fly ever.

Edited by Val Mickey

Thea, I think with the gold it really wouldn't matter at this point as there was(As Lan mentioned) only one place they could be heading. Now after the ferry, as they hit towns and cities, it might stand out....but at the same time many who are influenced by coin, know that keeping their mouth shut keeps that coin returning. Some aren't that bright though...lol

Since Moiraine has not explained the first times that someone touched the One Power, the upcoming effects of Rand channeling here slipped by me as well. But we'll get there soon.

Indeed, you're right, Sam. Looking back at the incorrect assumptions I made about the series on my first readthrough (like the gold, for example) is a little weird - the second time around, it felt like a different story! I'd missed quite a bit.

Chapter 12: Across the Taren

- After dealing with Master Hightower, Lan leads the party down to the ferry. Rand considers the fog and the isolation it causes as Moiraine and Lan speak about the risk of her being seen in the presence of the "unnatural" fog. Everyone seemed a bit grumpy after the hard ride except Egwene, who seemed a bit too determined to appear poised.

- Based on the suddenness of Lan's reaction to the approaching ferrymen, I would have to think that this was not his normal cautious self. I wonder if he perhaps did not expect so many men to haul the ferry? Either way, both sides seemed untrusting of the other group. This is the area that some of us mentioned before, where Moiraine seems amused by Thom. Reading the paragraphs before and after, I think that while Egwene was caught up in what Thom was doing, it may be more likely that Moiraine was amused by the entire situation, including the three Two Rivers lads. Thinking about it as a parent, the attempts by them to seem dangerous feels so much like a young boy copying his father. Another reason i do not feel this is tied to thier later affections is the fact that she still would have no idea that they would be tied together in the future.

- The ferry ride is uneventful, other than Hightower's discomfort with the fog. Lan's explanation to Rand about people's behavior when consequence is lost, is a pretty accurate assessment of human behavior.

- In the next few paragraphs, I find that I have completely overlooked a simple fact time and time again through my multiple rereads...We know the exact moment that Moiraine embraces Saidar and channels the whirlpool. Rand gives that away with his sudden shiver...something that would not seem out of the ordinary in the chilly fog and with wet cloaks...but, given later realizations is a dead giveaway.

- In the aftermath of the fog, we see the first signs of impatience in Moiraine as she becomes exasperated with the barrage of questions from the country folk. As the Aes Sedai pulls Egwene aside, Rand and the others assist Lan in tending to the horses. We get a description of what the Aes Sedai did to the horses on the journey North, as well as it's limitations. Inside the shelter we are also given our first real explanation of the True Source.

- Truthfully, if you know what to look for, there are many indications of things to come in this portion of the chapter. The condition of Saidin, Egwene's natural abilities, and the likely cause of Thom's reluctance towards Aes Sedai, and a little more on Angreals. We even get a little foreshadowing here as Moiraine explains that Egwene has the strength to make it as far as the Amyrlin Seat if she works hard enough.

- It is very surprising to see how much information RJ gives us this early in the game. Obviously, on the first read through, most of this means virtually nothing. But, as one reads through a second, or tenth time the back-knowledge sheds light on the odd comments and occurences.

yeah i have to agree. i chuckled when Moriane mentioned Egwene and the possability of her being head strong enough to be Amyrilin.

the foreshadowing of events that only blossom in the later books in EotW shows how planned & thoughtout RJ relaly had this series.

Val - you and i are goign to have to agree to disagree on the Thom & Moriane issue.

I found that to be a very interesting chapter. I liked the way we're given the first real information about saidin and saidar; it could easily have felt like an infodump, but it was well handled. The hints at Thom's past were nicely done, too, especially with Moiraine seemingly knowing about his situation. With that, and the way Moiraine laughed at Thom's little flourish of his knives, I got the impression that the two had met before, although we're not privy to when, at this point.

Then there's the foreshadowing: Moiraine's comment to Egwene about the Amyrlin Seat, for example. For some reason, I'm paying a lot of attention to the foreshadowing on this readthrough.

The thing that struck me the most was the cool, unruffled way that Moiraine created the whirlpool and sank the ferry. It was the first instance I found in the book of how badly she wanted to keep the boys out of unfriendly hands. For her to go to such lengths suggested to me that the stakes they were playing for were very high indeed.

nah i think he reacted when Moriane healed him for the first time. when she went around refreshing them during the riginal dash from Two Rivers.

thsi is the first time he reacts to Siadar being used around him though. i've also noticed that it's not a constant thing remarked on at first in the series; it's kinda hit or miss. sometimes RJ will say Rand shivers when we know a female is channeling; other times, theres no mention at all.

No mention of a reaction to the "refreshing" of the horses was mentioned. In fact it specifically states that Rand did not notice her moving among the horses until she came to Cloud.

So yes, the shivering was likely the first time he reacted to the embrace of Saidar near him. I initially thought that perhaps his feeling it now had something to do with his use of Saidin during the flight from the Dragkhar, since he also did not shiver when she healed Tam. But, the healing of the horses occured after his initial use, so perhaps it is merely a distance issue. Perhaps she already held the source(for fear of losing it in her weakened state) at the inn, and when she embraced it outside Devon Ride, perhaps she was beyond his sense of it on top of his distraction. But, on the far side of the Taren, there is almost no mistaking the timing of his chill and the probable timing of Moiraine embracing the source to create the whirlpool. Remember he doesn't sense when it is used, only when Saidar is embraced or held.

Chapter 13: Choices

- We lead this chapter with a quick reminder of how everyone feels about Aes Sedai. Lan is protective of Moiraine, Egwene clearly overzealous, Thom exactly the opposite as he tries to pull away. The boys are exactly what you'd expect....nervous, frightened, but too intimidated to attempt to refuse. An interesting note here is when Moiraine finishes with Thom, she is noted as smiling mockingly at him. I am still unconvinced that thier budding romance is starting here, but I do still strongly believe she realizes who he is(in terms of Owen) even if she has never met him before the Two Rivers.

- Seeing her exhaustion, and the inability to refresh herself is another pointer(like the tiredness in Emond's Field after the battle) that shows limits to the abilities of Aes Sedai and dampens a bit of the awe around them.

- We quickly learn that the journey from the Taren to Baerlon takes one week(10 days in Randland), and then we are given the events of that week. In true Robert Jordan fashion the next 16 pages of the book reveal mostly intricate details of the surrounding countryside, the small farms and villages they pass and the change in spirits from doggedly pursued to arrogantly adventuring. Most of the time used is due to the need to rest the horses and the need to avoid farms and villages.

- We are treated to Lan attempting to teach the boys how to use the weapons they carry. We also see another moment where Lan is given pause regarding Tam, when Rand recognizes the flame and void that Lan is describing. We also see Egwene further losing who she was back home as she unbraids her hair and argues with Rand over it. Also, Moiraine sets the boys straight after Mat's arrogance about having adventures, and we are given a powerful glimpse into Moiraines's determination as she reveals that she will destroy the boys before she lets the Dark One have them.

- Rand snoops on a talk between Egwene and Moiraine and we learn a few more facts. First that Men and Women have different strengths in the five elements, secondly we are given insight into the equality of those differences. Finally we learn that there is another woman in Emond's Field that could become Aes Sedai. I cannot honestly remember if I put this knowledge and the comment about wilders becoming Wisdom's and such together the first time I read the book, but the inclination is right there that Nynaeve could be the other woman. Rand about wets himself when he thinks he is caught, and I am fairly certain that Lan was not just rolling over in his sleep.

- It is amusing to note the reactions to Baerlon as they first approach it. Again I notice here that Rand stands apart from the rest in his reactions to things. At times he seems less intimidated by the Aes Sedai, and here he seems less awestruck by Baerlon than the others. The passage into the city is mostly uneventful although we are given some insight to how Lan and Moiraine travel throughout the world, and we get a nugget of information about the Children of the Light. They immediately stood out as troublemakers to me. Oddly enough, given the military structure and the religious implications of them, I mentally brandished them as a cross between Crusaders and the Spanish Inquisition. Turns out to be a pretty spot-on assumption...lol. We finally hear rumour about the happenings in Ghealdan concerning the false Dragon(Logain). News that appears to place moiraine at some unease.

- Thanks to a conversation between Rand and Thom we are introduced to The Kareathon Cycle or the Prohecies of the Dragon and some of their details. Finally, with a quick entrance through a secret gate, the party finds themselves at the Stag and Lion.

Another interesting chapter, with lots of little hints and expositions about the story to come and explanations of various things. I'm not sure, but I found Egwene's actions a bit strange here - up until a short while ago, she was all set to become Nynaeve's apprentice as a Wisdom (or words to that effect), but now she's unbraiding her hair and devoting most of her attention to Moiraine. I couldn't make up my mind on whether I thought she was one of those people who change their minds too quickly, or whether she was making the most of a bad situation, especially upon learning that she, too, could channel. Given what I know from later books, I'm inclined to believe it was the latter, but Egwene's sudden change stood out a lot the very first time I read it.

Hmmm, I'll have to look back in a bit, but I think i had the initial impression that she really wanted out of Emond's Field. She was determined not to be left behind if there was adventure involved, but she didn't know she could channel until that night North of the Taren. I'm not sure that her interest in being Wisdom was any more than something to do with her life.