DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I made up different *CATEGORIES* for ''Best WOT Moments'' - Like The Oscars!!!

The Fisher King

All Moments Must Be Taken From Only Books 1 - 12 For Obvious Spoiler-Courtesy! :-)

Best Romantic Moment:

1 - Nynaeve and Lan's ''moment'' with the ring.

2 - Mat and Tuon's Wedding.

3 - Bryne and Suian.

Fishspeak: Three nice choices but my personal fave was the moment in TSR between The Gray Fox and Moiraine. TOTAL undercurrents of romance there.

Best ''One-On-One'' Confontation:

1 Lan/Toram Raitin

2 Mat/Gawyn+Galad

3 Nynaeve/Moggy

4 Valda/Damodred

5 Couladin/Cauthon

My ''Mat/FanBoyness'' wants to say 2 but 3 is ONLY CHOICE. Nyn BEST WOT Female EVAR!

Most Heroic Moment:

1 Rand refusing (''When the sun turns green, baby'') to let go of Lan.

2 Mat literally BLOWING up the Stone to rescue the brats.

3 Mat rescuing Elayne from Gholam (Promises to keep. ''You can't bloody have her.'')

Fishspeak: 1 and 3 tie for me. Is that cheating?

Coolest ''Loss of Temper''

1 Thom: ''I have a man to kill first.''

2 Perrin moving that Aiel Chick with his bare hands.

3 Mat with the Sea Folk in ACOS.

All awesome, but how do you go against the Master of the Blades??? Biatch.

Best Battle

1 Falme

2 The Wells

3 Emond's Field

4 Malden

5 Mat's Seanchan Battle to allow Tuon to escape.

Soooo many choices here. Mat=brilliant in Ebou Dar but I liked Tylee in Malden ALOT.

Best Death Scene

1 Mat and Avi's in Book 5

2 Mangin's in Book 7

3 Moiraine Damodred's in Book 5

4 The little girl in the Stone.

My pick is a tie between Number 2 and Number 4 ... Number 4 just because of how powerfully it effected Rand. I know Number 2 wasn't really an ''Onscreen'' scene, but it was just very moving to me. I felt as stunned as Berelain when The First of Maine asked, in shock, ''You mean he really will just WALK to his own hanging?!''

Best Ending of a Book

1 Book Three: Mat promising to hang in there and mentally already planning an escape.

2 Book Seven: Callandor wackiness.

3 Book Six: Dumai's Wells

Fishspeak: 1 was funniest. 2 was most intense. 3 was most awe-inspiring.

- Fish

Why Im Thankful To 2010: Getting to hear the phrase ''At the end of the day'' 6 Brazillion times and words like ''Trending'' - ''Fail'' - Epic'' - ''Ownage'' and ''FTW'' (Or is that last one an actual 'word'?) ... Also Im thankful that my suspicions about Graendal were right alll along...That she IS hotter than Halima, Berelain and Lanfear.

''I have another man to kill first."- Thom Merrilin; a gleeman and one-time court bard...known by some as 'The Gray Fox' - according to Moiraine Damodred; an Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah.

WAR The Gray Fox!!!

All Moments Must Be Taken From Only Books 1 - 12 For Obvious Spoiler-Courtesy! :-)

Best Romantic Moment:

3 - Bryne and Suian.

Fishspeak: Three nice choices but my personal fave was the moment in TSR between The Gray Fox and Moiraine. TOTAL undercurrents of romance there.

1 Lan/Toram Raitin

2 Mat/Gawyn+Galad

3 Nynaeve/Moggy

4 Valda/Damodred

5 Couladin/Cauthon

My ''Mat/FanBoyness'' wants to say 2 but 3 is ONLY CHOICE. Nyn BEST WOT Female EVAR!

Most Heroic Moment:

3 Mat rescuing Elayne from Gholam (Promises to keep. ''You can't bloody have her.'')

Fishspeak: 1 and 3 tie for me. Is that cheating?

All awesome, but how do you go against the Master of the Blades??? Biatch.

Best Battle

1 Falme

2 The Wells

3 Emond's Field

4 Malden

Soooo many choices here. Mat=brilliant in Ebou Dar but I liked Tylee in Malden ALOT.

Best Death Scene

2 Mangin's in Book 7

My pick is a tie between Number 2 and Number 4 ... Number 4 just because of how powerfully it effected Rand. I know Number 2 wasn't really an ''Onscreen'' scene, but it was just very moving to me. I felt as stunned as Berelain when The First of Maine asked, in shock, ''You mean he really will just WALK to his own hanging?!''

Best Ending of a Book

1 Book Three: Mat promising to hang in there and mentally already planning an escape.

Fishspeak: 1 was funniest. 2 was most intense. 3 was most awe-inspiring.

- Fish

Why Im Thankful To 2010: Getting to hear the phrase ''At the end of the day'' 6 Brazillion times and words like ''Trending'' - ''Fail'' - Epic'' - ''Ownage'' and ''FTW'' (Or is that last one an actual 'word'?) ... Also Im thankful that my suspicions about Graendal were right alll along...That she IS hotter than Halima, Berelain and Lanfear.

''I have another man to kill first."- Thom Merrilin; a gleeman and one-time court bard...known by some as 'The Gray Fox' - according to Moiraine Damodred; an Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah.

WAR The Gray Fox!!!

Best Romantic Moment - Would pick Nynaeve and Lan from the 3 listed. My favorites are either Rand and Avi in the Far Snows or the 3 girls bonding Rand after he tells them all he loves them.

Best One-on-One - Mat vs Gawyn/Galad of course. I also like Rand vs Turak and Galad vs Valda (the best written sword fight in the series).

Most Heroic Moment - So many its hard to narrow down the list. Mat at the Stone from the list is a good one.

Coolest Loss of Temper - Thom getting ready to kill the king is good. My favorite would be Perrin challenging Bashere to try and take Faile from him while crushing a goblet in his bare hand. Also, Rand killing Warders with his bare hands in a couple of seconds just before Dumai's Wells when he finds out they have Min captured as well.

Best Battle - Dumai's Wells. No contest.

Best Death Scene - Moiraine's. Just to see the pain it caused both Rand and Lan was moving.

Best Book Ending - Dumai's Wells. The end of Winter's Heart with the Cleansing was also awesome. And Rand at Falme in tGH is another favorite.

Best Romantic Moment

Lan and Nyn are the only one who moved me out of your 3 choices.

I'm not too keen on the WoT romances in general, but I would add Rand and Aviendha's "I love you, me neither" romance to that list, culminating in the snow scene.

Great list! I'd add Rand vs Turak as well. My favorites otherwise are actually 4 (great fight, and great finally getting insight into Galad's thoughts and seeing his hurt and anger for Morgase) - 4 (Nyn is cool and I think the 1st one apart from Rand to really stand up to Forsaken) and 5.

Best Battle

Definitely Emond's Fields and Dumai's Wells.

Best Death Scene

3 - 4 - 1 ;)

Best Ending of a Book

I'd nominate TFoH (Moiraine vs Lanfear), LoC (Dumai's Wells), WH (cleansing saidin) and TEotW (Moiraine eavesdropping on Rand and saying the Dragon is Reborn - that was just cool, and sent shivers down my spine).

Haven't read the series in a long time though, so I'm sure about a million moments are escaping me right now, esp. for more "difficult" question such as heroic moment and loss of temper :D

Ok here goes.

For Best Romantic moment: 3 Bryne and Siuan

For Best Fight: 3 Nynaeve and Moggy

Coolest loss of temper: 1 Thom

For Most Heroic Moment 1 Rand and Lan in Far Madding

Best Battle: 2 Dumai's Wells

Best Death scene: 3 Moiraine but my favorite is Ingtar

Best Ending: 3 Dumai's Wells

• Most romantic: Perrin and Faile in "Among the Tuatha'an" (they actually talked to each other!)
  • Best one-on-one confrontation: Nynaeve vs. Moghedien. Rand vs. Asmodean; Galad vs. Valda; if confrontations that aren't fights are included, Galgan vs. Suroth ("You commanded the Forerunners, who have been subsumed into the Return") and some of Alviarin and Elaida's interactions are good enough.
  • Most heroic: Ingtar's redemption; "The Golden Crane"
  • Best loss of temper: They will pay, Lews Therin growled. I am the Lord of the Morning.
  • Battle: Dumai's Wells over Mat's Altara campaign. Also consider the formation of the Band in Cairhien.
  • Death: Moiraine's.
  • Ending: LOC over TGH, TSR, and WH.

Eh! So many great moments to choose from and tough to remember them all! holy cow That's why WoT is SO great.

Okay, here goes . . .

Best Romantic Moment:

3 - Bryne and Suian

2 Mat/Gawyn+Galad

3 Nynaeve/Moggy

For me, a tie here.

Nynaeve wins for beating Moggy; however, this confrontation of Mat's with the brothers is the beginning of his rise to greatness right after his healing from the tainted knife, so it was a key moment.

Most Heroic Moment:

3 Mat rescuing Elayne from Gholam (Promises to keep. ''You can't bloody have her.''

Again, so many great ones but facing the Gholam has to take the cake.

Best Battle

1 Falme

2 Dumai's Wells

3 Emond's Field

Maybe the hardest choice? I am finding it hard to pick one or even two as they were all just fantastically written.

Falme was epic! Totally cool!

Dumai's Wells was so dramatic as we were all in that box with Rand. We were all riding with Perrin.

Emond's Field was heroic as a hard-fought victory of the Two Rivers village people and farmers; Perrin's leadership being key.

Mat's Seanchan battle for his genius of strategy and tactics!

Best Death Scene

Best Ending of a Book

Winter's Heart Cleansing Saidin

Another tie here.

Good thread, although I'm going beyond your suggestions for several categories.

Best Romantic Moment: Nynaeve dumping Lan in Saldea, and the lead-up scene to that. Maybe not strictly romantic, but it displays their affection for one another better than any other single interaction between any other characters.

One-on-One (Two): Mat thumps Gawyn and Galad

Most Heroic: Mat into the Stone barely edges out Ingtar. I think the fact that at this point Mat had no special weapons, no special abilities, no special training, and was still willing to break into the strongest fortress in the world to save the Supergirls puts him over the top.

"Loss of Temper": Maybe not the coolest, but my favorite is when Elayne has to restrain Nynave from thumping Mat over the head in his hotel room in Ebou Dar.

Best Battle: Emond's Field, not even close. Battles are about people, and we were closer to the people in that battle than in any other.

Best Death Scene: Ingtar

Best Ending: Dumai's Wells, edging out WH and TGH

An issue of semantics? This ISN'T an Asmo thread, but I feel uncomfortable with all the nominations for Moiraine for best death. I mean, she's not dead! That's kinda cheating isn't it? Like a non-handicapped person competing in special olympics. I wish it wasn't the clear favorite. Maybe everyone re-post an alternate for best death? oh well.

Best Romantic Moment

For me, hands down, it's the "Veins of Gold." What makes the romance better IMO is that by that point, Rand isn't the same he was in Book 5 with Avi. Rand is a much darker, harder, more pained figure by that point, suffering a lot. That's what makes the tenderness all the more valuable. Plus, the scene is so nicely egalitarian.

Best 1-on-1 Confrontation

Obviously, Nynaeve/Moghedien. Nynaeve is SOOOOOOO cool! And the whitecloak sword fight was great. But I think my number one vote has to go to Randy/Ishamael at Falme. I mean c'mon, everyone saw the battle in the sky and Sheathing the Sword, for Light's sake!

Most Heroic Moment

Interesting how many good ones are Mat. Protecting Elayne from the gholam, rushing into the Stone, rushing in to save the future Band, and I loved how before he and the girls left for Ebou Dar, the scene where he kneels to Egwene. Setting the Windfinders free. Taking the a'dam off of the Aes Sedai in the wagon. And all signs point to the biggest one still yet to come ("give up half the light of the world to save the world.")

Does Egwene's entire chapter from KoD count as a moment?

I came this close to choosing Nynaeve again, for saving Rand's behind in TAR from Rahvin.

Oh well. That's all a red herring anyway. My vote goes to a thousand Aiel holding hands and singing as they get slaughtered one by one; allowing innocents to escape.

Coolest Loss of Temper

Is it cheating to point out that Nynaeve only channels when angry (until Ebou Dar), so how about some of the cool things she did while angry? Like Fire and Spirit!

I guess it's no surprise a lot of these are Perrin. Perrin crushing cups. Perrin manhandling people. My vote goes to Perrin chopping off the Aiel guy's hand and then throwing his axe into a tree. That was just the bomb.

Best Battle

I have to go with the battle at Shadar Logoth in WH. What makes it so cool was, it was a channelers-only battle. No need for messy swords and horses. Just Aes Sedai, Ashaman, Chosen (almost every one), and a whole slew of angreal, ter'angreal, and sa'angreal (including the most badass of all sa'angreal). Little battle "troops" with linked saidin and saidar. Aginor getting torched by a Friend of the Dark! GREAT battle!

Best Death Scene

Everyone wants to go with Moiraine, and I agree it was very touching when it happened. But I'm not sure it's a fair answer. Part of the problem is that RJ doesn't kill off many sympathetic characters (are you reading this, George R.R.?) so there are few choices. I will go with Liah getting the Holy Pattern balefired out of her...by RAND, of all people! Wowzers.

Best Ending

I mean, they're all so good! As aforementioned, I love "With the Choedan Kal." But it simply has to be Dumai's Wells. The outrage at the awful betrayal. The fantastic chase-and-rescue by Perrin and the gang. The first Aes Sedai knelt and swore fealty to the Dragon, and the world was changed forever!

WoW! Thanks for all the opinions so far - I'd like to address a few of them specifically, then add a few things that I thought about AFTER posting the Original Post.

1 MG: I LOVED The Far Snows - Good Call!!!...Rand V Turak was GREAT, too!

2 Toothbrush: I agree that in WOT Lan and Nyn were by far the ''couple'' that came the closest to evoking any kind of '''real'' feeling. I would vote The Gray Fox and Moiraine Damodred a close second. The scene in TSR where they have their little showdown is an alltime fave scene of mine from entire of the series. Loved her Healing the knee and him refusing to flex it because she didn't ask first, LOL!!! ... Loved that we saw him think of her as a ''fine woman'' and that we also learned that Moiaine ''laughed at his quips.''

3 trench: GREAT call on Ingtat!!! ... Poor Ingtat :(

4 moratcorim: VERY nice call on Galgan V Suroth!!!

5 Jillian Sanche: You are sooo right! Writer Jordan did a MASTERFUL job at making us feel Rand's claustraphobia in that box.

6 AuldGoldBeard: Thanks!!! ... I LOVE your reasons why Mat in the Stone of Tear in Book 3 is your fave. I think you nailed it. He did it because...well, thats just Mat. This was also a GREAT early example of just how well Mat would fit the ''Underdog'' archetype in the series.

Keep Em Comin!!!

P.S. ... Since its like maybe my FAVORITE scene in the ENTIRE SERIES, maybe I should have remebered to add the following (bigtime paraphrase) under ''Best Loss of Temper''

''His name is Oredith,'' Caraline Damodred told him.

''Oredith.'' Rand's grip tightened on the glass. ''His name is Padan Fain and there are one hundred thousand Golden Crowns on his head.''

''Queens have been ransomed for less!'' She exclaimed in shock. ''What did he do?!''

Rand's tone was ice. ''What did he do? He ravaged my home BECAUSE it was my home. He killed my friends BECAUSE they were my friends. He is a Darkfriend and a dead man!'' The glass shattered in his hand.

I should also have remembered the One-On-One Confrontation in Book 9 where Cads, debating with a Windfinder, basically (in a very Aes Sedai way) tells her that she's about to kick her a$$ if she touches her again. Or if she EVER touches her again.

Under Best Deaths, I probably should have listed Asmo's death...at the time, it WAS really cool.

Lastly, if I had included a ''Most Heartbreaking'' category, I would probably have needed to list ''The Tale of a Doll'' - I really LIKE Furyk Karede.

- Fish

WAR The Gray Fox!!!

Best Romantic Moment:

3 - Bryne and Suian.

Dang, the one I was about to post wasn't so much a romantic moment but another moment involving Nynaeve and Lan in book 13 (she just becomes beyond epic as the series goes on), so I guess I'll chose their moment with the ring.

1 Lan/Toram Raitin

2 Mat/Gawyn+Galad

3 Nynaeve/Moggy

4 Valda/Damodred

5 Couladin/Cauthon

Best confrontation? Well I can think of two that aren't on the list:

Nynaeve vs. Suian (er, spelling off, the first Amryilin we see), one of the first times we see Siuan on the boat where she is giving Egwene and her Nynaeve a lesson with the power. Nynaeve losses her temper (or something) and ends up tied up with air... only to be shielded from the Source by Siuan... barely.

Dang, the other slipped my mind and involved Rand... and while racking my brain I did recall the confrontation between Rand and Egwene in the Shadow Rising, if memory serves, where Moraine has changed tactics in how she's dealing with Rand and Egwene has noticed. She goes from openly arguing and losing her temper with Rand to actually keeping her cool and getting the best of the argument. Don't recall it perfectly but I remember loving Rands reaction to her change in tactics, how he was totally unprepared for it.

That said, Matt v. Andor brothers for me just because of a) I've always loved watching people fight with staffs in movies b) was a great turn for Matt who, up to that point, hadn't had much of a claim to fame in all the epicness of WOT.

Most Heroic Moment:

Don't know if it counts as a heroic moment but this thread has brought a lot of fond WoT memories back for me. Anyway, I loved when Nynaeve overcame her block. There she was, totally unable to get angry and :bam: she finally has to fully surrender. Up to that point we all knew Nynaeve was, for lack of a better word but knowing if she were near I'd be in danger of a stick to the head, baddass but the block was like watching Michael Jordan play basketball with a cast on one foot.

As for my actual vote: Intager, his redemption was going to cost him his life but he did it anyway. Got to love it.

While Nynaeve and Rand are made of win and win is made of Mat, I have to agree with an above poster about Perrin losing it and taking that Aiels hand. o_O who knew he was capable of that. Apparently a good rule of thumb is never make it a point to anger normally mild mannered big guys.

Best Battle

1 Falme

2 The Wells

3 Emond's Field

4 Malden

Wow, could go many ways here but will go with the all out epicness of Falme.

Best Death Scene

2 Mangin's in Book 7

Of these I'd go with Moiraines, though it wasn't truly a death. The one I only just remember that I'd vote for is Matt having to defend himself from his Aiel df girlfriend (is that #1? I don't recall her name) and ending up killing a lady. His reactions/thoughts were moving, though I guess the actual death itself wasn't that great or profound.

Best Ending of a Book

Book 13... just because the knowledge of the agony of the wait for the last book in the series has been killer. Though I think something good happened there, the wait is the main thing I remember lol.

Most Heroic Moment

My vote goes to a thousand Aiel holding hands and singing as they get slaughtered one by one; allowing innocents to escape.

Awesome.

Coolest Loss of Temper

My vote goes to Perrin chopping off the Aiel guy's hand and then throwing his axe into a tree. That was just the bomb.

Awesome.

Most Heroic Moment

My vote goes to a thousand Aiel holding hands and singing as they get slaughtered one by one; allowing innocents to escape.

Awesome.

Coolest Loss of Temper

My vote goes to Perrin chopping off the Aiel guy's hand and then throwing his axe into a tree. That was just the bomb.

Awesome.

I agree completely with both of those.

Romance = I have to say Suian/ Gareth with Nyn/Lan coming close second. I found the Mat/Tuon wedding was lacking in romance, the Courtship of Tuon was very romantic, but the reason I enjoyed the actually completion of the ceremony was because it was funny more than romantic.

1 vs 1 = Of those listed I have to say #2 Mat/Galad-Gawyn, but I also really liked the Perrin/Slayer fight in the Two Rivers that ended with Luc riding out clutching his side.

Heroic = I mentioned before that I agree about the Aiel, but of those you listed I have to say "You can't bloody have her"

Loss of Temper = see above, of your choices... 3 Mat and the Seafolk. Nyn also had many good ones through out the series, but nothing tops chopping off dude's hand.

Best Battle = Not many things can compare with the Heroes of the Horn being called back, so I have to vote for Falme. But (even thought I dislike Eggy) the Seanchan Raid on the Tower was a very awesome battle. First time we see aerial bombardment in the series :rolleyes:. I also liked the 2nd Battle of Ebou Dar (after Mat released the WF's)

Best Death = How Verin did not make this list I'll never know because she would get my vote hands down, but of the ones listed I have to say Moraine's was the one that got me the most.

Ending = Of the 3, have to go with the Wells, but really I thought the cleansing was the best, with TGS coming a close second. I've been reading the series since 1992 and have never anticipated the coming of the next book the way I did ToM and most of that was because of the TGS ending.

I also think that you left out a couple of categories.

Most Touching Moment (or Most Likely to Make You Cry {even during re-reads}) - I know there are several, but the only one that stands out is Nynaeve to the Malkieri Merchant and "My husband rides to the Last Battle, will he ride alone?"

Funniest Moment = Again sooooo many stand out, my favorite comes from ToM so I won't mention it here. But my favorite (pre-ToM) is Mat and Brigette going drinking in ED, both the actual conversation between them and the results of it when Brigette gets back to the palace with Nyn, Elayne and Avi.

That's my 2 cents, have a good New Year.

Best Romantic Moment: Can't say any of them had affected me that much, this really wasn't Jordan forte IMO. If I have to pick one, it will probably be Perrin and Faile in in "Among the Tuatha'an". Those two have some really nice romantic moments, unfortuantely they also have twie as much headdesk worthy ones related to jealousy and misunderstanding.

Best ''One-On-One'' Confontation: Channelling - Rand vs Ishy in the Stone, with weapons - Valda/Galad.

Most Heroic Moment: - Moiraine facing Lanfear knowing full well the fate that awaited her.

Coolest ''Loss of Temper'' - Plenty to choose from, and a lot of them already were mentioned, so I'd pick two others:

I love the moment when Nynaeve, while still Accepted, got so annoyed with the Salidar leaders not letting her go look for the Bowl that she told them straight out that they are a bunch of clueless cowards, and almost tear off her braid in the process.

"Talk,” Nynaeve snapped. “That is all you do, you and the Hall! Talk! Elayne and I can find this ter’angreal, but you would rather prattle like laying hens.” Words tumbled over each other coming out of her. She kept such a steady strain on her braid, Elayne half-expected to see it come loose in her hand.

I really like when Elayne got really angry about Carridin's note about her mother being with the Whitecloacks, and forced Merilille and the other AS to finally accept her as a real Aes Sedai.

"If you deny that Nynaeve and I are Aes Sedai, then you deny the Amyrlin Seat who sent me to find the Bowl of the Winds, which we have done. I will not have it! I call you to account, Merilille Ceandevin. Submit to the will of the Amyrlin Seat, or I will call judgment on you as a rebellious traitor!”

The funny part, of course, is that the note Carridin sent her, was completely true. ;)

Best Battle - Dumai's Wells.

Best Death Scene - Ingthar. “The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.” Gets me every time.

Verin's is pretty close too.

Best ending - tough one, probably TDR.

Best Romantic Moment: Rand and Avi in Seanchan

Best ''One-On-One'' Confontation: Lanfear versus Alivia. I was never terribly fond of Lanfear, but she gained some respect from me when she sliced the ridiculously powerful weaves of Alivia's, breaking the woman's arm. Alivia gets just as much respect for continuing to hold her ground, while said ground is being torn up from under their feet.

Most Heroic Moment: Mat rescuing the girls from the Stone.

Coolest ''Loss of Temper'': Anything Mat says to Elayne or Nynaeye while in Ebour Dar, pretty much. My favorite arc from any book.

Best Battle: Cleansing wasn't exactly your traditional battle, but if it counts, that gets my vote.

Best Death Scene: I always found the death of Rolan to be particularly heart wrenching, despite not being terribly invested in that particular storyline.

Best Ending of a Book: Prince of Ravens, I suppose? It was the first where I couldn't immediately dig into the next book, so I find it particularly memorable.

Romantic Moment: I'm sorry, but those are all unlikely best moments for me. I guess if I'd had to go with one of them it'd be Nynaeve and Lan, though her speech in TGC was much better (is it still romantic even though he didn't hear it?). Still, my all-time favorite WoT romantic moment is in TSR, the chapter after Playing with Fire. "Rand, do you like me?" The sheer innocence really got to me.

Best 1-on-1 (or should I say 1-on-2?): No doubt here. It's Mat and the Andoran boys. I also really liked Rand's sword scenes in TGH, so if Turak was on that list I'd have had to think that one over.

Most Heroic Moment: Again, Mat for the win. With Elayne and the Gholam.

Loss of Temper: All good options. Mat's already made his appearance on my list, so I'll give that one to Thom and Galldrian. Still, I also really liked the first time Perrin met Leane. The way he was so fed up with not getting to see Mat that he just picked the AS up and put her aside.

Battle: My money goes for Perrin's last stand against Isam's lackies in the Two Rivers.

Death Scene: I'll go for the unlikely choice. Mangin.

Ending of a Book: On the list, I'll go with Dumai's Wells. Off it, probably TGH.

Romantic Moment: I'm sorry, but those are all unlikely best moments for me. I guess if I'd had to go with one of them it'd be Nynaeve and Lan, though her speech in TGC was much better (is it still romantic even though he didn't hear it?). Still, my all-time favorite WoT romantic moment is in TSR, the chapter after Playing with Fire. "Rand, do you like me?" The sheer innocence really got to me.

Best 1-on-1 (or should I say 1-on-2?): No doubt here. It's Mat and the Andoran boys. I also really liked Rand's sword scenes in TGH, so if Turak was on that list I'd have had to think that one over.

Most Heroic Moment: Again, Mat for the win. With Elayne and the Gholam.

Loss of Temper: All good options. Mat's already made his appearance on my list, so I'll give that one to Thom and Galldrian. Still, I also really liked the first time Perrin met Leane. The way he was so fed up with not getting to see Mat that he just picked the AS up and put her aside.

Battle: My money goes for Perrin's last stand against Isam's lackies in the Two Rivers.

Death Scene: I'll go for the unlikely choice. Mangin.

Ending of a Book: On the list, I'll go with Dumai's Wells. Off it, probably TGH.

Yon - don't know if you saw in my OP above, but I picked Mangin too :)

K, I'll be back soon. Lots of good comments :)

- Fish

Best Romantic Moment:

None of the above. The best romantic moment was Aviendha telling Rand that he held her heart in his hands.

Mat/Gawyn+Galad

Most Heroic Moment:

Of the three on offer, I'll take Mat going into the Stone. But my nominees would have included the last stand of Ingtar, and a similar moment from TOM that can't be mentioned here. I also like one from the prologue to TOM. "He knows. Light help him, he knows. And he sent another in his place." Very cool. Have I mentioned just how much basically all the Southlanders pale in comparison to the least of the Borderlands?

Perrin moving that Aiel Chick with his bare hands.

Best Battle:

Dumai's Wells. But Emond's Field is a close second. And actually the best battle is one we hear about indirectly, the last stand of Manetheren.

Best Death Scene:

Moiraine Damodred's in Book 5. Again, this is my favorite of the nominees offered. But my real favorites would have to be Ingtar or the aforementioned unmentionable equivalent in TOM.

Best Ending of a Book:

Book Six: Dumai's Wells

You also neglected an important category.

BEST SLAP-DOWN OF AN OVERBEARING TWIT

1. Birgitte explaining honor and gratitude to Elayne, in regards to Mat's rescue from the Stone;

2. Something about imaginary ropes falling away, deadly weaves stopped in place, and a spluttering Wonder-Twit;

3. A reminder of who is the REAL Aes Sedai.

rsahae - Great point about Moir, but we didn't KNOW it, at the time! Also, check out David's post below :)

I a can NOT believe I somehow left VERIN MATHWIN'S death scene off my original list!!! :(

Ishadar - You reminded me of one of MY alltime fave images from the series too: Luc fleeing the 2Rivs clutching his side after being basically YOU-KNOW-WHATTED by Perrin.

David - Great point about Moir. She knew what awaited here...and DID IT ANYWAY.

GYLD - Ive been amazed at what a masterful character Jordan created in Nynaeve. Except for Mat, she may be the only character that you like MORE each book. I also find her to be (by FAR) the FUNNIEST female character in the entire series. And her hear is...FTW.

Yon - Like I mentioned, I also picked Mangin's as tops in my original category for ''Coolest Death Scene.'' ... I think I found it almost as spooky as Berelain did.

- Fish

Most Heroic Moment: - Moiraine facing Lanfear knowing full well the fate that awaited her.
You know what, that's a good point. I'll reverse my choices of Ingtar and Moiraine to match yours.

I'm kind of surprised nobody likes Rand's psychotic break at Dumai's Wells for the loss-of-temper category, though. They will pay. I am the Lord of the Morning. is a great line.

You know what, that's a good point. I'll reverse my choices of Ingtar and Moiraine to match yours.

I'm kind of surprised nobody likes Rand's psychotic break at Dumai's Wells for the loss-of-temper category, though. They will pay. I am the Lord of the Morning. is a great line.

If I were to a "Loss of Temper" from the Rand Captivity scenes, it would have been when Rand killed 1 Warder with his bare hands then used the dead man's sword to kill another (yes wound beyond repair by Healing = kill) after seeing Min in the camp. She hadn't even been beaten yet at that point. He just knew they had her and went off. That is an epic temper-tantrum. For general Rand-Psychotic-Breaks-Temper, I would have to pick the Seanchan Battle in the hills to the west of Illian when he used Callandor.

If I were to a "Loss of Temper" from the Rand Captivity scenes, it would have been when Rand killed 1 Warder with his bare hands then used the dead man's sword to kill another (yes wound beyond repair by Healing = kill) after seeing Min in the camp. She hadn't even been beaten yet at that point. He just knew they had her and went off. That is an epic temper-tantrum. For general Rand-Psychotic-Breaks-Temper, I would have to pick the Seanchan Battle in the hills to the west of Illian when he used Callandor.

What I love about that is that he does it all in the 2-3 seconds it takes the Aes Sedai to wrap him in Air. Even if you don't like Rand, you have to admit that he is a very dangerous badass.

Favorite Scene of the Entire Series

What Might Be in The Gathering Storm

I put the book down and stared at the wall for a good five or ten minutes afterwards.

Speaking of putting the books down, other "Book Dropping Moments"

1. Mat and Avi's deaths - When I read FoH, they were my two favorite characters, bar none. I very nearly cried.

2. Ingtar's redemption

3. "Half the light of the world," can't say anymore cause of ToM

4. The little girl dead in TSR

5. And of course, VERIN. I had always somewhat suspected her, but it still shocked me, and then the sudden turn around shocked me even more.

Archived