DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just how *did* the Gholam know

Jblaylock

I'm only a third of the way (give or take) through TOM. Mat seemed shocked that the Gholam knew about Tuon.

So... I think that might have been a clue. Perhaps Demandred is the Forsaken that is behind the Gholam's missions, since I do not beleive that person (whoever is instructing the Gholam) has been revealed yet. If it is Demi, then I would assume he is in some position of power among the Seanchan. Maybe him and Semi were working together, before Rand Truefired her (get it? True power + Balefire = Truefire). Maybe the Seanchan are Demi's secret force, and Tuon just doesn't know. Perhaps he's going to take over the reins and leave her powerless.

I'm only a third of the way (give or take) through TOM. Mat seemed shocked that the Gholam knew about Tuon.

So... I think that might have been a clue. Perhaps Demandred is the Forsaken that is behind the Gholam's missions, since I do not beleive that person (whoever is instructing the Gholam) has been revealed yet. If it is Demi, then I would assume he is in some position of power among the Seanchan. Maybe him and Semi were working together, before Rand Truefired her (get it? True power + Balefire = Truefire). Maybe the Seanchan are Demi's secret force, and Tuon just doesn't know. Perhaps he's going to take over the reins and leave her powerless.

I thought the Gholam had been shadowing Mat for awhile and just saw Tuon with Mat. I suppose its possible that there is a dark agent working amongst the Seanchan that reported to the Gholam's handler. Even if that's true though, it doesn't necessarily mean that the handler themself is amongst the Seanchan - the news could have traveled along the Darkfriend Network.

I thought the Gholam had been shadowing Mat for awhile and just saw Tuon with Mat. I suppose its possible that there is a dark agent working amongst the Seanchan that reported to the Gholam's handler. Even if that's true though, it doesn't necessarily mean that the handler themself is amongst the Seanchan - the news could have traveled along the Darkfriend Network.

Darkfriend Network? Hmmm... you think they use facebook or myspace? Probably some third site none of us has even heard of. "Darkface", or "Bookspace of Evil Things and such..." :unsure:

Darkfriend Network? Hmmm... you think they use facebook or myspace? Probably some third site none of us has even heard of. "Darkface", or "Bookspace of Evil Things and such..." :unsure:

That sounds pretty troublesome. Maybe they just stuck GPS tracker in Mat's hat. They know he'll never give up that hat.

It would have to be myspace. Since nobody else uses that anymore it would be easier for them to stay secret. :)

I suspected that Suroth Sabelle Meldarath and Semirhage (posing as Anath Dorje) had something to do with tipping off the Gholam, since both were in Ebu Dar at the time that Mat and Tuon were together. It isn't a huge leap of reasoning for Semirhage to know that Mat left with Tuon under his arm, used Suroth to overthrow Tuon, and Tuon comes back without Mat and makes Suroth to Da'covale while speaking well of Mat to her close advisers. I know I would let the Gholam know that it would be quite possible that Mat would have a case of the wuv woos for Tuon and it may be useful to threaten her.

At least that is the scenario that went through my head as the Gholam threatened Mat with Turon's death. I know that Turon being killed by the Gholam would have worked well into Semirhage's plans for the Seachan before she died.

I suspected that Suroth Sabelle Meldarath and Semirhage (posing as Anath Dorje) had something to do with tipping off the Gholam, since both were in Ebu Dar at the time that Mat and Tuon were together. It isn't a huge leap of reasoning for Semirhage to know that Mat left with Tuon under his arm, used Suroth to overthrow Tuon, and Tuon comes back without Mat and makes Suroth to Da'covale while speaking well of Mat to her close advisers. I know I would let the Gholam know that it would be quite possible that Mat would have a case of the wuv woos for Tuon and it may be useful to threaten her.

At least that is the scenario that went through my head as the Gholam threatened Mat with Turon's death. I know that Turon being killed by the Gholam would have worked well into Semirhage's plans for the Seachan before she died.

Except Suroth had no idea who Mat was or that Tuon left with him. She thought Mat was just Tylin's Toy and after Tuon disappears she sends out people searching for her and is terrified that she will have to go apologize to the Empress (may she live forever).

And I don't think that Semi knew who Mat was until after they disappeared. Remember, Moridin tells the Forsaken to hunt Mat and Perrin because if you cut off one leg of a tripod the whole thing falls down. He then shows them an image of Mat and Perrin and Semi says something like "if you had shared this knowledge before they might already be dead" once she recognizes Mat. I suppose its possible that she puts his and Tuon's disappearance together at this point but we see no indication of this or that she shared this knowledge with Suroth.

There are only what....2 "Chosen" left that even have their freedom so to speak, Grendy and Demo? Grendy was sent after Perrin. Not counting Ishy/Mordy.

It could be Ishy/Mordy but that would be my second choice for sure.

I would be betting on Demo being the Gholam's new master, it just makes sense considering Matt quite obviously will be the Light's top general and Demo the Shadow's.

From what we know about Demo, he's a cold, calculating sob, full of anger sure but that anger is almost completely towards LTT/Rand and I for one don't believe for a second that he's arrogant enough overlook what Matt brings to the table on the battle field.

If Demo can take Matt out, then he knows the advantage would be his. No general worth a spit actually wants an even up fight if they can help it, only when they have no other choice.

I'm not sure if the Gholam had a new master. Maybe he his still working on the orders that he received from Shammy.

The Gholam told Matt that he had a new master that wanted Matt dead even more than his last master. That his new master wanted Matt dead to the exclusion of all others and was not to rest till he did.

It was in Chp-9 "Blood in the Air".

This has just given me a nightmarish vision of TG, as told through various characters' Twitter feeds. *Shudders*

I just assumed the Gholam was still following Sammael's orders since he's the one that put it on that mission in the first place and the Gholam would have no idea Sammael was dead (assuming he actually is dead of course). Given that the girls Travelled away so he had no way to follow them since shadowspawn can't use gateways, it only made sense for him to keep following Mat, especially since Mat was his primary target. We know the Gholam can track his prey and can read residues, so it could've seen where Mat went after Verin took them to Caemlyn and followed on foot.

I just assumed the Gholam was still following Sammael's orders since he's the one that put it on that mission in the first place and the Gholam would have no idea Sammael was dead (assuming he actually is dead of course). Given that the girls Travelled away so he had no way to follow them since shadowspawn can't use gateways, it only made sense for him to keep following Mat, especially since Mat was his primary target. We know the Gholam can track his prey and can read residues, so it could've seen where Mat went after Verin took them to Caemlyn and followed on foot.

mat and elayne where on a level. I believe that the gholam said "he wants you dead as much as her"

the gholam can use gateways, notice how it didnt die when it went into the skim portal

the gholam made a personal choice in going after mat, mat intreged it since he is the only one to ever hurt him

Maybe that's what Noal was doing when he was disappearing. Leaving a bread trail for the Gholam and some handy info leaflets to keep him up to speed.

Noal a darkfriend? Naaa.. i don't think so. He was just used by ishy, and when ishy died he started being himself again.

I thought the Gholam had been shadowing Mat for awhile and just saw Tuon with Mat. I suppose its possible that there is a dark agent working amongst the Seanchan that reported to the Gholam's handler.

one quick question... is there someone among the seanchan who knows about mat? i mean.. about mat and tuon being married.. selucia and the DW guards, of course, but is there somebody else?

mat and elayne where on a level. I believe that the gholam said "he wants you dead as much as her"

the gholam can use gateways, notice how it didnt die when it went into the skim portal

the gholam made a personal choice in going after mat, mat intreged it since he is the only one to ever hurt him

Skimming and Traveling are different, or maybe just passing through one half of a skimming portal wouldn't kill it, but in any case we know that according to Rand/Lews Therin, Shadowspawn can't pass through gateways, hence the Deathgate weave. Maybe passing from the Gateway, back into the Pattern is what kills them, we don't know. Of course it's possible the Gholam is different, so you could be right.

Also, on further reflection it seems to me that the Gholam could've easily extracted the information about Tuon from the Redarm he captured and tortured for days, and who's remains were found.

This has just given me a nightmarish vision of TG, as told through various characters' Twitter feeds. *Shudders*

"Just sending trollocs off 2 kill Perrin - D-man2000"

"Must destroy dragon and DO, freaky new powers rok!" EvilFain

Don't have my book with me right now, but this mystery is pretty easily solved. A member of :bandredhand: was found outside the camp, with signs of being tortured before the Gholam drained his blood. It is surmised by Mat that the gholam tortured him for information.

For someone who has the book with them, can they hunt down the exact reference?

Off topic, the fact that I can remember these insignificant details off hand scares me... I have invested way too much time and thought into this series.

Archived