DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The ending

Elan Tedronai

There is another option here. Since those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, the title A Memory Of Light may indicate that the Light will lose the last battle. The female channelers wouldn't support LTT the first time around. Rand gaines his sanity when he realizes that maybe this is all happening so he could have a second chance at victory. Eqwene and The White Tower are marshaling support against Rands plan and just as before they believe that their guideance is the only path to victory. The Seanchan are coming for the Aes Sedai and eventually the male channelers as well and do not (or at least have not) shown any support for Rand. The bulk of forces will be tied up fighting each other, the Seanchan, and the Shadowspan that has mede the trip in country when Rand will so badly need them at SG. All but those along the blight and those with Rand are wraped in their own plots and schemes even though they know the last battle is upon them. This very much looks like the same senerio that LTT faced the last time. In fact, the only thing that I've really seen that would indicate a victory is Avi's vision of the Seanchan slowly wiping out the Aiel. Right now we have three sets of prophesy working against each other. The Seanchan version, The Prophsey of THe Dragon, and The one used by the forsaken. So, which set is correct or is it a combination of all three? Clearly Rand did not bind Tuon, nor did he kneel before her, so at least for now those two are false. The only thing that has been accurate are the signs that were used to prove Rand to be the Dragon reborn.

There is another option here. Since those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, the title A Memory Of Light may indicate that the Light will lose the last battle. The female channelers wouldn't support LTT the first time around. Rand gaines his sanity when he realizes that maybe this is all happening so he could have a second chance at victory. Eqwene and The White Tower are marshaling support against Rands plan and just as before they believe that their guideance is the only path to victory. The Seanchan are coming for the Aes Sedai and eventually the male channelers as well and do not (or at least have not) shown any support for Rand. The bulk of forces will be tied up fighting each other, the Seanchan, and the Shadowspan that has mede the trip in country when Rand will so badly need them at SG. All but those along the blight and those with Rand are wraped in their own plots and schemes even though they know the last battle is upon them. This very much looks like the same senerio that LTT faced the last time. In fact, the only thing that I've really seen that would indicate a victory is Avi's vision of the Seanchan slowly wiping out the Aiel. Right now we have three sets of prophesy working against each other. The Seanchan version, The Prophsey of THe Dragon, and The one used by the forsaken. So, which set is correct or is it a combination of all three? Clearly Rand did not bind Tuon, nor did he kneel before her, so at least for now those two are false. The only thing that has been accurate are the signs that were used to prove Rand to be the Dragon reborn.

I really don't believe that Robert Jordan put so much effort into this book just to have a "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies" ending. Besides, we know he has plans for sequals. The forces Egwene is gather will be converted to his side by Savoir-Rand. I think Rand intentionally manipulated Egwene into gather an army for him in a way that the Forsaken would not be able to figure out what his real plan is.

Rand couldn't bind Tuon because the prophesy said he will bind "Nine Moons" to him. Tuon wasn't Nine Moons, she was the Daughter of the Nine Moons. Now that she is the Nine Moons, she can be bound.

There is obviously some kind of link between Ish/Mordy and LTT/Rand but I think it's being forgotten here how much Ish/Mordy also looks and holds himself like Rand.

Grendy observes as much often and especially in the beginning of tGS, mentioning the resemblance to the sketches of al'Thor she has seen.

It will be Ishy/Mordy's body that Logain steps over imo.

Ishy being of course a puppet of the DO, perhaps his greatest puppet.

Oh rand will live in the end. Retirement in peace since he has earned it. people seem to think he will die and that is it, but rest be assured rand will probably die for good by old age or something. the question is which of his three wives stays with him. i reckon min will be his sole wife with the other two will be doing their own stuff.

another thing that points to rand living is naeblis involvement. moridin himself will ensure rand lives. min's viewing of two people merging and one dying has confirmed the death of moridin. he is linked to rand and that link will prove to be his undoing. I never did like the tosser anyway. serves him right for helping rand against sammael.

This is an idea that just came to me. Haven't we seen prophecies/visions concerning Rand getting blinded and being a begger? Maybe Rand will be blinded and burned out (physically and in terms of the One Power) by the Last Battle, and will end his days wandering the world as a blind begger, with nothing left but a "memory of light." Consider the fate of Paul Atreides.

I think this theory is kind of out there. I think a pleasant retirement to Av'alon'Val'inor is more likely. But it would be an intersting possibility.

I think it'd be really sad ending if Rand ended up blind, burned out beggar xD "A Memory of Light" could really point to that xD Mat lost "Half the light of the world" and lost an eye... So yeah, I guess that's possible.

And to the 3 become one, I'd say its either Rand + LTT + Moridin or Saidin + Saidar + True Power... Those were my favorite theories. xD

I really don't believe that Robert Jordan put so much effort into this book just to have a "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies" ending. Besides, we know he has plans for sequals. The forces Egwene is gather will be converted to his side by Savoir-Rand. I think Rand intentionally manipulated Egwene into gather an army for him in a way that the Forsaken would not be able to figure out what his real plan is.

Rand couldn't bind Tuon because the prophesy said he will bind "Nine Moons" to him. Tuon wasn't Nine Moons, she was the Daughter of the Nine Moons. Now that she is the Nine Moons, she can be bound.

Rand couldn't bind Tuon because she resisted his compulsion. Being the Nine Moons wont change that. The the prophesies are in conflict and neither (so far) will be bound to the other. I'm not saying the Light will fail. To be honest that would really suck. But it is an option. What I am saying is this is going to be a near thing. The lower kingdoms are in chaos and it isn't due to the efforts of the forsaken. Its because of petty squables, greed, and power struggles. Egewene has gathered every leader to her side that she can. Every one reverantly bows to the Aes Sedai and thinks all male channelers mad. If Rand meets with Egwene and the leaders she's rallied to her side and he explains his plan would they have any idea what he's talking about? Would Egewene? I seriously doubt it. It will have to be Egewene who gives the go ahead to his plan. None of the others would dare oppose her. Rand is working from knowledge that is thousands of years old and lost to everyone but he and the Forsaken. He may not even be right in his assumptions, but the situation is much the same as it was in the AoL when he was opposed by the female channelers. He needs their support and with the battle raging along the blight, and now in Camelyn he simply doesn't have the time to travel here and there explaining in detail what his goal is and how he plans to achieve it. At this juncture I would have to say that the issue is in doubt. THe Seanchan are about to destroy what is left of the Tower. I hope that the bulk of the Sisters accompany Egewene to the meeting and aren't caught up in a battle there. Everywhere we look the forces that should be moving up to the blight are held up. Right now it doesn't look good for the home team.

What concerned me as I read this book (particularly the Avi/glass column portion) is the possibility that Rand neither lives nor dies. I realize that Avienda was not sure she couldn't change the future that she saw, but what happens if he leaves? We don't know a whole lot about the Book of Translation and what happens if the Ogier do open it, but we can infer that they must go somewhere. Loial's mother Covril states that they must leave for a time to be able to come back after the human race forgets about them.

Is the Book of Translation something seperate from the Portal Stones? Or is it a method for translating them to transport the Ogier to another world for a time to avoid the Last Battle? Can it be avoided in another world?

I seem to remember Verin saying that the Dark One was a constant in all worlds, like TAR and the Creator, but one of the forsaken saying the the LB's effect could be different in different worlds and that the main fight would take place in this one. Graendal even thinks briefly of traveling to another world through a portal stone to avoid Moridin after her last failure.

What if Rand fights the last battle, then leaves? I do not believe that Elayne or Avienda would go with him, but that Min certainly would. Elayne and Avienda have eachother and their commitments to their people and their children to keep them from going, but Min does not. Min's potential offspring were conspicuously missing from Avienda's vision. It would a simple solution for Avienda to return from her vision quest to, as she says, "take her piece of Rand's heart" and wind up pregnant in the days before the LB.

It could be similar to the ending of the Lord of the Rings where at the end everybody goes west to the Undying Lands. Rand and Min leave, maybe even Elayne and Avienda go later. We can't be sure that it will really happen, as it was a vision. But in practice, haven't we all had some trouble imagining a world in which the hero of the ages remains to rule? Is Rand even that kind of guy? How could he avoid all the attention seekers and the drama? How will the girls practically split him up and marry him? Min questions which ONE of them will actually marry him in one of her POVs, to me that means that she has seen or inferred that one of them actually will. Clearly it must be her, as Elayne and Avienda could neither marry him alone. Min is not their first sister and doesn't understand their bond, so she would not know that it effectivly rules them out.

It will sort of frustrate me if that is how it ends, it will be just a little too elegant. But honestly, the fact of it ending will be difficult no matter how it's meant to end.

It probably works just like a portable Tower of Ghenji.

Rand couldn't bind Tuon because she resisted his compulsion. Being the Nine Moons wont change that. The the prophesies are in conflict and neither (so far) will be bound to the other.

Could also be that the pattern wasn't going to let Rand bind tuon at that point. Rand had realized in that book that he can manipulate to some extent his taveren nature. It seems that through great will tuon was able to resist it where as noone else at that point could. Consider him walking into the viper's den in this book. He walks in, being shielded by double 13s knowing that if he wanted to, he could walk back out and destroy the AS's credibility. he even told Egwene he would hate to defy her and ruin her credibility after she had done so well for herself. He knows that the pattern will bend for him. I imagine that when he next meets with the seanchan he will a) be more diplomatic to achieve his ends, but b) more importantly, the pattern will do the work for him. I fully expect tuon to feel drained, like galad did in this book after deciding to join perrin. Question becomes what will the specifics be.

Rand couldn't bind Tuon because she resisted his compulsion. Being the Nine Moons wont change that. The the prophesies are in conflict and neither (so far) will be bound to the other.

Could also be that the pattern wasn't going to let Rand bind tuon at that point. Rand had realized in that book that he can manipulate to some extent his taveren nature. It seems that through great will tuon was able to resist it where as noone else at that point could. Consider him walking into the viper's den in this book. He walks in, being shielded by double 13s knowing that if he wanted to, he could walk back out and destroy the AS's credibility. he even told Egwene he would hate to defy her and ruin her credibility after she had done so well for herself. He knows that the pattern will bend for him. I imagine that when he next meets with the seanchan he will a) be more diplomatic to achieve his ends, but b) more importantly, the pattern will do the work for him. I fully expect tuon to feel drained, like galad did in this book after deciding to join perrin. Question becomes what will the specifics be.

Could also be from her exposure to Matt and her "thread" has already been influenced.

Therefore making it harder for Rand to pull her "thread" to him when it's already being pulled by Matt.

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that Matt will play a big role in Rand binding Tuon.

Could also be from her exposure to Matt and her "thread" has already been influenced.

Therefore making it harder for Rand to pull her "thread" to him when it's already being pulled by Matt.

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that Matt will play a big role in Rand binding Tuon.

I agree, I was thinking that the next meeting between the Undead Empress and the Dragon Reborn will be with all three Ta'veren this time. Perrin would have effect as well, considering his previous dealings with the Seanchan.

Why are we assuming the Nine Moons has to be Tuon, rather than the court of the nine moons? Here's what I'm thinking: Rand goes to the Court of the Nine Moons, and kneels before the Crystal Throne, before channelling and altering how the Throne works- changing it from inspiring awe/reverence for the person sitting in it, to inspiring awe/reverence for the Dragon Reborn, thus binding it via weaves to himself.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole 'to live you must die' thing makes me think that Rand willingly has to give up the ability to channel. They carry on how many people die when they lose the ability, and by inference, noone would be able to WILLINGLY give it up. So his choice/sacrifice means he (everyone else too?) gets to live (win).

Plus, there's a chance that if he does that, the link means Moridin loses his ability too?

Encyclopedia Wot

Logain, laughing, steps over something onto a black stone. It looks like Rand's body, but when she touches his face it breaks like a paper puppet.

If we look at the first part, this seems to be about The Black Tower ("..onto a black stone."). Could be about Logain assuming command there, though I do not know how that would fit in with the second part...

I agree with you. I always assumed the body was Taim's body.

Wasn't it said that Taim resembled Rand in some way?

No, Taim is almost the spitting image of Demandred actually. Hawk nosed, high cheek boned and just a fraction shorter than Rand. Not to mention being full of fury and never smiling.

I sometimes wonder about what RJ said straight out about Demandred not being Taim or more specifically the wording. Remember he also flat out told us that Verin was not Black Ajah when she actually was and wasn't. Don't forget either that after he made the statement about Taim/Demandred he made sure to add that it was an Aes Sedai answer for sure. I always remember though that Kisman is told by Taim and then again by Demandred to kill Rand and that makes no sense if they are the same person.

The similarities tickle the mind far too much though even though I believe Taim is a product of Ishy/Moridin's.

Anyway, if you recall in Graendal's meeting with Moridin, she notes that except for the black hair, Moridin looks uncannily like the pictures of al'Thor.

light lose the last battle? no way in hell. the outtriger novels disproves that. the light shall never lose. which is a shame coz it takes the element of excitement out of the ending

This is an idea that just came to me. Haven't we seen prophecies/visions concerning Rand getting blinded and being a begger? Maybe Rand will be blinded and burned out (physically and in terms of the One Power) by the Last Battle, and will end his days wandering the world as a blind begger, with nothing left but a "memory of light." Consider the fate of Paul Atreides.

Rand has already been blind and dressed as a beggar. His eyes are fuzzy after his battle with Semi and he dresses as a beggar when he goes to Ebou Dar and comes close do blowing it up before he has his epiphany on Dragonmount.

The whole 'to live you must die' thing makes me think that Rand willingly has to give up the ability to channel. They carry on how many people die when they lose the ability, and by inference, noone would be able to WILLINGLY give it up. So his choice/sacrifice means he (everyone else too?) gets to live (win).

Plus, there's a chance that if he does that, the link means Moridin loses his ability too?

I think moridin will end up dead. that link with rand will prove to be his undoing

Archived