DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Callandor Theroy...

Guest Collin Flashmiere

Guest Collin Flashmiere

So I don't have many quotes or passages looked up to support any of these ideas. Its been a few years since I have posted on here.. (I'm thinking around 6) but since finishing ToM I have been thinking about how things are going to work out. I looked around to see if anyone has posted these ideas, but I am probably the only one stupid enough to think of it. So here it is.

What if Callandor was a Sa'Angreal for the ta'veren effect. It would explain why Callandor is "flawed" because it is not designed to be used with the OP. It would possibly be a reason why no one but Rand could touch it at first, and the reason why it is paramount to the success of the light at the Last Battle. If this were the case, the three that would need to use it would be Perrin, Matt and Rand, the three ta'veren. It would also explain why all three of them are needed for the light to be successful at the last battle. Rand more and more in the last several books has been talking about he can bend the pattern to his will, with this theory he would use that, magnified and combined with Matt and Perrin to seal the DO out of the pattern using the pattern itself.

I thought of this because of the way that Rand holds the dark one's presence off just by being in the area, he is tied to the land and the fact that he is not going to fight the physical battle with troops. I think it would bring alot of things together. Obviously he wouldn't be using it with Women and there are other things that are going to be hard to explain, but its just a start of a theory, tear it apart, of help me find some quotes to support it.

Well, you're not the first to think Callandor is not just a Sa'Angreal for the One Power. I can tell you that thanks to my time here as a lurker, so don't let my post count dishearten you.

One of the other theories that has been thrown out are that it's also a SA for the True Power, but there's nothing to support it well of course. And I don't know where it is I read it on this site. Lost in some pages long thread that got moved in the shake up I suppose. And there's also another theory that it is Rand, Mat and Perrin's Ta'veren-ness (Ta'verenity?)that will seal the bore when they are in the same place, at the same time, fighting towards the same goal. At least, I've read it around here somewhere...but I suppose that doesn't help support your point either.

I guess this post wasn't too helpful, but at least you know you're not alone.

Well, you're not the first to think Callandor is not just a Sa'Angreal for the One Power. I can tell you that thanks to my time here as a lurker, so don't let my post count dishearten you.

One of the other theories that has been thrown out are that it's also a SA for the True Power, but there's nothing to support it well of course. And I don't know where it is I read it on this site. Lost in some pages long thread that got moved in the shake up I suppose. And there's also another theory that it is Rand, Mat and Perrin's Ta'veren-ness (Ta'verenity?)that will seal the bore when they are in the same place, at the same time, fighting towards the same goal. At least, I've read it around here somewhere...but I suppose that doesn't help support your point either.

How to seal the bore is already clearly stated. Hold the Light before the maw of darkness. That Rand could have done in TEoTW when creator gave him the chance. He did not take it and wasted the whole eye for Ishy. Thus DO was successful to blind the Eye as planned.

Not that I necessarily agree with the theory, but yes there is evidence that Callendor could be an Angreal for the True Power. Cadsuane when she meets Rand mentions that the Sword is flawed, and lacks the buffer, etc... but one of the things she mentions is that it "Magnifies the taint". Take that plus the taint having similar effects as the true power (restoring memories of previous lives), it isn't too far of a stretch to say that it is an angreal for the True Power.

Cadsuane when she meets Rand mentions that the Sword is flawed, and lacks the buffer, etc... but one of the things she mentions is that it "Magnifies the taint".

I always assumed that the 'magnify the taint' blurb meant it was more of a side-effect of just being a saidin sa'angreal, in that as well as magnifying the power the user could draw, that it magnified the taint as well. I figured that any other male angreal or sa'angreal would have done the same thing, and that the only reason Cadsuane mentioned it was because that was the only angreal/sa'angreal that she knew he possessed.

How to seal the bore is already clearly stated. Hold the Light before the maw of darkness. That Rand could have done in TEoTW when creator gave him the chance. He did not take it and wasted the whole eye for Ishy. Thus DO was successful to blind the Eye as planned.

Are you sure about that ?

I mean it was is first experience with such amount of Saidin and he managed to do some amassing stuff .

Let's not forget he destroy an army of shadowspawn at Tarwin gap with the Eye (saving shienar) , then his first victory over Isha

and finally he fixed up the weather which i am not really sure but their is presumption with it .

Concerning Callandor it was designed to work with Saidin that is sure and I don't thing working with Ta'veren was the concern of the Aes'Sedai who made it , but there is no saying it might no be.

But there is a thing that make me wonder, if Callandor was created in the Breaking era , and that this time will happen again , then it mean she is going to be destroy because she will need to be created again when the wheel turn out in an another breaking era .

I mean otherwise their will be plenty of Callandor or Choken dal all over the place no ?

The missing buffer is something on all other an'greal and sa'angreal. A channeler can take in a maximum of x amount of the OP (saidin of saidar). However, x is the maximum amount like how much pressure a steam tank can hold before it explodes. If the channeler reachs x amount they burnout or die or both, so the amount they can safely handle is y amount and y < x.

When channlers link the one leading the circle can only take z amount of power from each member of the circle and z < y,. This prevent the other members of the circle having to much power taken into the circle.

An'greal and san'greals have a similar buffer as well. They amplify the OP but the channeler can't contribute > y so the amount of OP is something like 2y or 3y but a proper an'greal or san'greal can't amplify more then y amount of OP.

Callandor's no buffer flaw is a man can amplify z amount of OP. So instead of Callendor amplifying Rand's power to y20 like a proper san'greal would it amplifies x20. It is basically lacking a safety valve.

The way around that is if a man links with two women so a woman can control the OP which gerry rigs a safety valve by using the linking rule of a non leader of the circle can only take z amount of the OP so it would be z20.

Now x is much greater then y. LTT was using x amount of power when he died. The mad men of the breaking where using < x OP but > y when they where breaking the world.

Why it has to be two or more women instead of one man and one woman I don't know.

BTW: It may be a bit OT but I think the "blade of light" and "three become one" refers to Rand, Mat, and Perrin somehow and has nothing to do with the OP, Callandor, or AS.

Why it has to be two or more women instead of one man and one woman I don't know.

Perhaps the magnified taint of one man can be suppressed by two women, but the same from two man would overwhelm one woman...

If Callandor isn't in the picture two men linking with one woman wouldn't be a problem. I just wonder why two women have to link with the guy using Callandor and it has to be at least two.

i think a woman cant lead a circle of 1 man and 1 woman if i remember right, a man must lead. whereas 2 wman + 1 man a woman can lead\\.

"In most cases, either a man or a woman can control the link—this is called leading, focusing, or guiding—but in the case of a circle of seventy-two, a circle of only one man and one woman, or in most circles of up to thirteen which contain more than one man, a man must lead. Excepting the examples given above, and other circles of thirteen or less, a woman must lead where the minimum number of men are present."

from the guide

so 1 man 2 woman, a woman must lead and 1 man 1 woman a man, so thats why calandor requires 2 woman (or more)

and if the woman lead then the link provides the buffer for the man with the sa angreal

2 men 1 woman circle is also permitted for a man leading, in which case 1 man leads while the other weilds calandor, that would also give the buffer.

Not really concerning this thread but I think when Moridin watched Avi unravel a web he freaked a bit. I think Avi will be

the 3rd with Rand and Nynaeve and unravel the web that made the Bore.

Also Cadsuane has still to teach the lesson to ALL asha'man that they will not like learning. I dont think its about

becoming men not weapons because Grady had no problem with that. Just a wild theory but I think it maybe about circles

of men and women, the women must have control. Perhaps this is a secret Callandor will reveal. Meh or maybe not :P

Not really concerning this thread but I think when Moridin watched Avi unravel a web he freaked a bit. I think Avi will be

the 3rd with Rand and Nynaeve and unravel the web that made the Bore.

Also Cadsuane has still to teach the lesson to ALL asha'man that they will not like learning. I dont think its about

becoming men not weapons because Grady had no problem with that. Just a wild theory but I think it maybe about circles

of men and women, the women must have control. Perhaps this is a secret Callandor will reveal. Meh or maybe not :P

I think calandor does not require that exact config, it just requires someone who is not the wielder to control the circle and due to that after the sealing men were going mad they would have decided to use 2 woman 1 man so that they had control. Before then if they knew circles could buffer it they may have done differently.

What is a Callandor Theroy? Is Theroy somebody's name? If that's the case, I should ask, who is Callandor Theroy? Is he like some invisible person whose name sounds like Leroy, who shows up to aid in wielding Callandor, though you don't see him?

I think it is misspelled, it's a Callandor Theory i think.

Archived