DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ilyena

Turok

Hey I am new here so sorry if this belongs in another place, but...has there been much discussion on if Ilyena will or has been reborn and if so who she might be and what that will mean for Rands other three women?

I think there has been plenty of discussion; however, I don't think it would matter even if she was reborn, as her soul and the Dragon's souls are not linked like Gaidal Cain and Birgitte's souls are. In other words, Rand is not destined to fall in love with and/or marry the soul of Ilyena in every turning of the Wheel. For whatever reason, during the 3rd Age, he hooks up with three women.

I think he even realizes something about this during his integration on Dragonmount in Veins of Gold (TGS).

Hey I am new here so sorry if this belongs in another place, but...has there been much discussion on if Ilyena will or has been reborn and if so who she might be and what that will mean for Rands other three women?

Not too lengthy, I believe, but from what I've seen it is generally seen as irrelevant for her to have been reborn. Also, I've seen some quotes from RJ to the effect of, "a soul cannot be split", I am not good with the quote databases, but others are. So, as far as it matters, she could be some random person in some random village (though she does have the ability to channel, sparker or learner I don't know).

Jemron beat me to it. :)

Lookswise, Elayne seems the closest, but I'm thinking possibly Min, because the way he needs her seems a lot different than the way he needs to other two women. She seems to truly be his best friend and closet confidante, so she gets my vote.

Ilyena was a channeler, which means she'll be reborn either with the spark or ability to learn. If Min could channel, it would have been discovered by now since the Aes Sedai spent considerable time studying Min and her viewings.

Where does it mention that Ilyena could channel? I must have missed that...and LOL at Alivia being Ilyena!

I don't believe the books state that expressly...however, they do state her full name: Ilyena Therin Moerelle. And IIRC, only Aes Sedai; ones that had done great service to the community, could achieve 3 names. So Elan Morin Tedronai, Lews Therin Telamon, Latra Posae Decume etc. were all of this distinction. I don't remember where I read this though, so it doesn't particularly answer your question. It might even be from wiki, so it's not to be relied on.

At least, that's IIRC anyway. We haven't run into anyone from the AOL with 3 names that hasn't been an Aes Sedai AFAIK. If that's true, I want to know some of Ilyena's accomplishments. We know Latra did a great service to the community unknowingly by virtue of the Fateful Concord a.k.a. no female Aes Sedai to accompany the hundred companions, and then subsequent guidance of the Aes Sedai after the men went mad. We know Lews Therin was...well...the Dragon, even if we don't know his accomplishment prior to the War of the Shadow. We know Elan Morin Tedronai, a.k.a Ishamael a.k.a Ba'alzamon a.k.a. Moridin (Boy he likes alternate names doesn't he?) was a prominent philosopher and had sway in the community, leading to him gaining the name "Betrayer of Hope" (Another one, and there's more to boot...wow Ishy you get around don'tcha? Well I guess you gotta compete with the Coramoor, Lord of the Morning, Car'a'carn, Dragon Reborn, Prince of the Dawn, He Who Comes with the Dawn, Shadow Killer...let's just stop there shall we? RJ sure loved his titles.) after he switched sides, but we have no clue what Ilyena accomplished.

Interestng how she's such a tidbit when factored into the big picture, despite being one of the major points around which Lews Therin's character is based.

Where does it mention that Ilyena could channel? I must have missed that...and LOL at Alivia being Ilyena!

Not in the books, but RJ said at a signing that she was Aes Sedai. Also, she was married to LTT for at least 50 years; if she had aged at a normal rate she would have been an old woman in the TEotW prologue.

I never understood why he'd want the other two women if he had Min. Min is hot. Min won't kick his @ss if he's not carefull, like Avy will. Min is hot. Min isn't a spoiled bratt, like Elayne. Min is hot and sexy. Min is his best friend and understands him. Min has something that's just sort of... well... for lack of better words... HOT about her. Oh, and she's hot.

Non Aes Sedai can achieve three names. The achieving need not be related to the One Power at all. At least that's how I always understood it, considering Ishamael's third name came from his writings.

I never understood why he'd want the other two women if he had Min. Min is hot. Min won't kick his @ss if he's not carefull, like Avy will. Min is hot. Min isn't a spoiled bratt, like Elayne. Min is hot and sexy. Min is his best friend and understands him. Min has something that's just sort of... well... for lack of better words... HOT about her. Oh, and she's hot.

Elayne and Avi are not hot then?

I concur on the hotness of Min as compared to both Elayne and Aviendha. However, it should be remembered that Elayne does have a likely base of power after the Last Battle, and money, whereas Rand may not.

Elayne and Avi are not hot then?

Elayne and Avi are both hot as well, but Elayne is a b*tchy brat, and Avi is a loose canon that you have to worry about getting into a fist fight with (and possibly losing) on a daily basis. So, if Min is just as hot, or hotter (depending on your preference, and according to mine) and doesn't have those other flaws, then why split your sexy time between the three... oh wait... I think I just answered my own question.

If Ilyena was reborn in this time period, she is clearly not romantically tied to Rand.

They are not like Birgitte and Gaidal Cain.

Yet she may be among our known characters. I can think of two examples of women who have ties to Rand though not of a romantic nature.

One of them is Egwene, of course, who had the visions in her testing involving marriage to Rand.

The other potential, with a similar-sounding name, is Alanna, who bonded him without asking. We don't get POVs from her, but we know she cries a lot, and often surmise it is his pain she feels through the bond affecting her, or perhaps her mourning over her lost Warder.

We may never know if Ilyena is one of these or another or if she lives at all in this period.

It might just be an unanswered question. :wheel::bela:

You can understand Rand having hot night(s) with Elayne and Aviendha. Why on earth he'd want a relationship with either is a mystery. Min is the only one of the three whose normal and personality wise, if they were in the real world, you'd consider as wife material - unless you're into torturing yourself. In Randland, their only pluses I can see is their lifespans, so they won't end up dead whilst you are still in your prime.

You can understand Rand having hot night(s) with Elayne and Aviendha. Why on earth he'd want a relationship with either is a mystery. Min is the only one of the three whose normal and personality wise, if they were in the real world, you'd consider as wife material - unless you're into torturing yourself. In Randland, their only pluses I can see is their lifespans, so they won't end up dead whilst you are still in your prime.

This. And this. With a girl like Min, though, you wouldn't care about "hot nights" with others anymore. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

If Ilyena was reborn in this time period, she is clearly not romantically tied to Rand.

They are not like Birgitte and Gaidal Cain.

Yet she may be among our known characters. I can think of two examples of women who have ties to Rand though not of a romantic nature.

One of them is Egwene, of course, who had the visions in her testing involving marriage to Rand.

The other potential, with a similar-sounding name, is Alanna, who bonded him without asking. We don't get POVs from her, but we know she cries a lot, and often surmise it is his pain she feels through the bond affecting her, or perhaps her mourning over her lost Warder.

We may never know if Ilyena is one of these or another or if she lives at all in this period.

It might just be an unanswered question. :wheel::bela:

'Alanna' is sort-of maybe a similar sounding name to Ilyena, but 'Elayne' is the same name as Ilyena. It's the third-age equivalent of that name. That's pretty linguistically obvious I would have thought.

Plus the fact that Elayne and Ilyena have the exact same shade of hair was surely mentioned for a reason.

Even if Elayne is not Ilyena reborn... we're at least meant to think she is.

I still maintain my theory that Moiraine is Ilyena, no real proof but go back to tSR when Moiraine went through the Redstone doorway in Tear, she stares at Rand for some reason, could be anything but it's a hint a something. we don't know what her questions or answers were but I think she may have asked about Ilyena.

Archived