DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What of the other Channeling Men ?

ranjitb

Yeah, but does being a True Blooded Finn make one more heroic or whatever than an American? Or a Pureblooded German? Does that mean you that a Pureblood Finn has an family that is older than an American? The whole notion that some people's blood (ie ancestory) is older than others has Unfortunate Implications.

I'm not saying it makes it any more heroic or better, but it is more "pure". And the "purer" it is, then "stronger" the original line.

It's not older, it's purer.

You could say I can track my lineage to few random towns around Finland. All my genes are from very small area, inbred, so to say. The same genes go back and forth in the same area, with no new genes getting into the mix from other countries.

Then you go and try to track someones ancestory in America, whose mother is from Africa and dad is from England. And the mom's parents are from Egypt and Turkey, the dad's parents are from England and France... You get where that's going? xD That person's genes come from all over the place, "tainted" by other areas.

And the stronger the original line, the more likely the possibility for genetic things to happen. Say, in WoT, skill at channeling. Manetherians were strong at channeling, and since the Two Rivers folk's lineage is very undilluted (they are all Manetheren lineage, there is no Caemlynian or Tairen or Sea Folk lineage in the mix), so their ability to channel is really strong, too.

While someone from Tear might have ancestors from Caemlyn, Tar Valon, Manetheren and several other areas of the Randland. This person's "blood" wouldn't be strongly Manetherean, because there's so many other nationalities in the mix. Thus the strong ability to channel is less likely and "tainted" by the weaker lineages.

In reality small genepool is actually a problem, but that's not the issue we're discussing here xD

Yeah, but does being a True Blooded Finn make one more heroic or whatever than an American? Or a Pureblooded German? Does that mean you that a Pureblood Finn has an family that is older than an American? The whole notion that some people's blood (ie ancestory) is older than others has Unfortunate Implications.

in some ways it does make your family older, it makes your lineage easier to track, since some families that went to america, lets say, took on higher names in an effort to change their stations in life

I see it more as the ancient blood of northern england in roman times held onto mysticism and their religion, etc. for longer than places with more trade and mixing of blood and tradition.

Thom describes Old Blood as "A line running from your father to your grandfather, right on back to Manetheren, and maybe beyond. Well, now you know your family is old."

But the concept is downright silly because ALL humans have an ancestory that goes back an equally long distance, to the very first humans. It is not has if some families are descended from someone that was spontaneously generated two generations ago and some are descended from someone that was spontaneously generated twenty generations ago. Besides, no one in the Two Rivers has the geneological resources to track their lineage to specific families in Manerethan. And again, it has an unconfortable resemblence the notion that there is something superior about being a Pureblood.

You could say I can track my lineage to few random towns around Finland. All my genes are from very small area, inbred, so to say. The same genes go back and forth in the same area, with no new genes getting into the mix from other countries.

You're from Finland? Cool. Which side - Snakes or Foxes? :tongue:

in some ways it does make your family older, it makes your lineage easier to track, since some families that went to america, lets say, took on higher names in an effort to change their stations in life

I see it more as the ancient blood of northern england in roman times held onto mysticism and their religion, etc. for longer than places with more trade and mixing of blood and tradition.

Thom describes Old Blood as "A line running from your father to your grandfather, right on back to Manetheren, and maybe beyond. Well, now you know your family is old."

But the concept is downright silly because ALL humans have an ancestory that goes back an equally long distance, to the very first humans. It is not has if some families are descended from someone that was spontaneously generated two generations ago and some are descended from someone that was spontaneously generated twenty generations ago. Besides, no one in the Two Rivers has the geneological resources to track their lineage to specific families in Manerethan. And again, it has an unconfortable resemblence the notion that there is something superior about being a Pureblood.

True, but we are not talking about racism or elitism here. We are talking about a genetic trait that has remained stronger in this isolated gene pool. So in this particular aspect being a "pureblood" would make you "better" (i.e. stronger channeler) than others. That's not a racist point of view, it is physiological fact.

As I said in my earlier post: "It's not older, it's purer."

If my family tree consists solely of Manetherin ancestory, then the Manetherenian traits are stronger in me than in someone whose ancestory consists of several other lineages too.

You're from Finland? Cool. Which side - Snakes or Foxes? :tongue:

It always makes me giggle a bit when I read things about "Finnland" or "Finns".

True, but we are not talking about racism or elitism here. We are talking about a genetic trait that has remained stronger in this isolated gene pool. So in this particular aspect being a "pureblood" would make you "better" (i.e. stronger channeler) than others. That's not a racist point of view, it is physiological fact.

I see it similar to the way there are some european T-cells that HIV cannot interact with or the way heterozygous cycle cell trait people are protected from malaria by the squeezing of the red blood vessel. The most important thing is that it is not really the fact that people from the two rivers are an older bloodline than others, but that males with the channeling trait have not been culled there as effectively as everywhere else in randland. This makes both men and women of that region not only more likely to be channelers, but also more likely to have higher potential. I would imagine that the ayyid (i think the sharan channelers are called that) would have stronger statistics in both.

Yeah this pure-blooded Manetheren matter is kind of weird to say the least. If I would go out and say I am an undiluted pure-blooded German, I would get more than a few odd looks.

And more than few Heil Hitlers. xD

Archived