DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz vs the Shattered Lens

Mashiara Sedai

• Community Administrator

This might seem a bit off topic, but I thought it was one of the funniest things I've read in a Brandon Sanderson book. In the latest Alcatraz novel there's a Asmodean reference. Alcatraz, the hero, is thinking of the bad things his mother has done so far:

"I hadn't forgotten how she'd give Himalaya up to be execute, nor how she'd sold me--her own son--to Blackburn, the one-eyed Dark Oculator. Or how she killed Asmodean. (Okay, she didn't really do that last one, but I wouldn't put it past her.)"

When I first read it I laughed SO hard. Brandon is so clever.

~Mashiara

• 10 years later...

I was just listening to the audiobook of Alcatraz #4 and heard this. At first, I was unsure of what the audiobook reader had said. The reader pronounced it slightly different from how I pronounced Asmodean. A Google search brought me here, and you've confirmed it! What a fantastic and subtle reference!

I didn't read WoT until last year, and Alcatraz #4 just now, so I'm way late to the party, but it is especially interesting given that the actual reveal of who killed Asmodean happened at about the same time this book was published.