DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bonding

Jblaylock

Is there a reason why an Aes'Sedai or Asha'man could not bond, oh let's say, a bunch of dogs or a pack of wolves to him or herself?

A pack of wolves might do more damage than a single warder. And if they are bonded, then they'd be as loyal to help as they are for Perrin or other wolf brothers, would they not?

I realize there are some issues that would be associated, like having a pack of wolves follow you in and around every city you venture to. But that brings up another question.

Do you think it's possible that there is a way to temporarily force the warder bond into a dormant state, without passing it off to someone else or deactivating it permanantly? A way where you could then reactivate it on a thought, without needed to be near that person?

Just thought this might make for a fun discussion.

That exists. Bond holders can shut the bond by "neating the bundle of emotion in a kerchief". There isn't any more sense of the other's feeling, direction, etc... it can be partially shut, enabling the bondholder to give a sensation of life, etc...

We see Elayne do that, as well as Logain, some Black Ajah, etc...

As a huge detractor of bonding, if it could work with animals (canines, mostly, because of their loyal nature) then I think that would be a better idea than the actual bonding of other human beings.

Yeah, I know those who agree with bondage...er...bonding will raise up in arms and claim that, when done willingly by the bonded party, there's nothing wrong with it and that they get great assets in return. But I beg to differ, simply 'cause anyone can be talked into or manipulated to consciously agree on doing something that is meant for the advantage of the other party, while stripping most of your freedom away from you, is still wrong, IMO.

But, if a pack of wolves or big dogs could be used for the same purpose (protection, though why would the most powerful people in the WoT world require looking over, is beyond me. Should be the other way round, with commoners protecting themselves from channelers, me thinks heh heh) again, I think it'd be an interesting idea. And I can't see why it couldn't be done, simply cause, to my understanding, this is just like digging deep into someone's mind and establishing a mild telepathic link with them, which I believe should be possible to do with any living beings who have feelings.

Jordan said it could be done with Myrddraal. Though as "throwbacks" Fades are the closest thing to human out there, with human-level intelligence and all.

But wolves in WOT are quite intelligent and we know they have souls. That would be an interesting question to ask.

I recall somewhere telling of myrddraal and of another shadowspawn being able to be bonded. Do not remember where nor the other shadowspawn.

Bonding animals as warders, if it can be done; probably just do it in these cases (in no particular order)::

-the bonder able to tame the animal first

-the animal already tamed

-the bonder and the animal being able to communicate with each other

While looking for a quotation I ran across this:

Q: Is Tai'Daishar the foal of Daishar? Could someone bond Bela?...pause....Why? Any chance that Bela will foal during the series? Exactly how old is Bela supposed to be?

A: * RobertJordan laughs * No...nobody could bond Bela. And for the rest of it, read and find out.

Though that doesn't say anything about other horses.

While looking for a quotation I ran across this:

Q: Is Tai'Daishar the foal of Daishar? Could someone bond Bela?...pause....Why? Any chance that Bela will foal during the series? Exactly how old is Bela supposed to be?

A: * RobertJordan laughs * No...nobody could bond Bela. And for the rest of it, read and find out.

Though that doesn't say anything about other horses.

Nobody could bond Bela because she is the creator's avatar, like Shaidar'haran for the DO. :biggrin:

I was sure when I saw this thread title that you were talking about bonding Ogier.

And now I think that is the best idea ever!

How awesome would Loial be as a warder!

It might eliminate The Longing as well..

I like this idea. Plus their lifespans are comparable to Aes Sedai which would eliminate the Aes Sedai having their Warders die from old age 2 or 3 times during their longer lives.

Bela is neither "Creator's avatar" nor Naeblis.

Moridin is Naeblis.

If any current character is Creator's avatar, the only likely candidate would be the Dragon's soul which seems to be the Creator's champion. Otherwise the Creator's avatar either doesn't/won't exist or would make a sudden appearance "from nowhere" at some time (likely Tarmon Gaidon if ever).

As for the reason she cannot be bonded; horses and/or transportation animals not able to be bonded would be my guess.

Bela is neither "Creator's avatar" nor Naeblis.

Moridin is Naeblis.

If any current character is Creator's avatar, the only likely candidate would be the Dragon's soul which seems to be the Creator's champion. Otherwise the Creator's avatar either doesn't/won't exist or would make a sudden appearance "from nowhere" at some time (likely Tarmon Gaidon if ever).

As for the reason she cannot be bonded; horses and/or transportation animals not able to be bonded would be my guess.

Um...I think these guys were only joking and they were pretty funny, too heh heh...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/54711-the-warder-bond-odd-thoughts/

Just found a link on the General Discussion board (not sure if posting the link like that will work! sorry!)

If it doesn't basically it says:

Caleyna Sedai from Astoria, OR: Is it possible for an Ogier to be bonded as a Warder? I am not asking if it will happen, just if it is physically possible. We know that Ogier can be fierce warriors, so that shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the bond could somehow reduce the Longing? An Ogier would make the perfect Warder for a Brown, if the bond were possible.

RJ: Such a bond would be possible, but an Ogier would find it a very strange thing to be asked to do. I can't think of an Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean who would be willing to accept.

So there you go! You can bond an Ogier! It would definitely eliminate some of the problems associated with bonding (like Mark Grayson said about the difference in lifespan). But like RJ said, the likelihood of an Ogier accepting seems slim. Although you could pull an Alanna and just take your target by suprise.

It's an interesting thought. But Bela would be my first choice-obviously!

Or Hopper, which I presume would be impossible. If the Warder bond was performed in the World of Dreams would it reflect in the real world like other things that happen there?!

http://www.dragonmou...d-odd-thoughts/

Just found a link on the General Discussion board (not sure if posting the link like that will work! sorry!)

Caleyna Sedai from Astoria, OR: Is it possible for an Ogier to be bonded as a Warder? I am not asking if it will happen, just if it is physically possible. We know that Ogier can be fierce warriors, so that shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the bond could somehow reduce the Longing? An Ogier would make the perfect Warder for a Brown, if the bond were possible.

RJ: Such a bond would be possible, but an Ogier would find it a very strange thing to be asked to do. I can't think of an Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean who would be willing to accept.

So there you go! You can bond an Ogier! It would definitely eliminate some of the problems associated with bonding (like Mark Grayson said about the difference in lifespan). But like RJ said, the likelihood of an Ogier accepting seems slim. Although you could pull an Alanna and just take your target by suprise.

Or Hopper, which I presume would be impossible. If the Warder bond was performed in the World of Dreams would it reflect in the real world like other things that happen there?!

The link does work, but I never would have started that thread if I had seen this one. The quote from RJ comes from here. It's from a book signing at a Barns and Noble in 1998, about 3/4 of the way down that page. And note that RJ says "an Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean" which would mean that Gardners could possibly be open to the idea if commanded to by the Empress. Led me to think that possibly Toun might have her pet Mylen bond a few, or bond some of them herself once she learns to channel.

http://www.dragonmou...d-odd-thoughts/

The link does work, but I never would have started that thread if I had seen this one. The quote from RJ comes from here. It's from a book signing at a Barns and Noble in 1998, about 3/4 of the way down that page. And note that RJ says "an Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean" which would mean that Gardners could possibly be open to the idea if commanded to by the Empress. Led me to think that possibly Toun might have her pet Mylen bond a few, or bond some of them herself once she learns to channel.

KoD spoiler:

Tuon already knows she can channel. She finds it repulsive, and has said that choosing not to channel sets her apart from damane, or those who choose to learn.

Archived