DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I LIKED THIS BOOK !

grump

1. The true Power works in Far Madding I e The tall scarred blond Rand met there was Moridin in discuise.

2.The Finns were responsibile for Lanfears loss of power.

3. Who mesaana turned out to be

4. All of morgauses kids know she is alive.

5. Perrins group has discovered circles and power wrought weapons as well as a leader.

6. Noal was Jain Farstrider confirmed

7. It looks like red and black will meld at the black tower.

8.While we know Grendal did not personally destroy (kill?)two of the chosen, she is being held responsibile by The DO for three.

9. All of the armies of light except Lans will soon be gathered in one place.

10. Moraine got rescued

11. In the wolf dream Perrin can ignore balefire and other weaves.

Only a couple of questions bother me now, where is Logain, and the damane that will help him die, and what did Loial say at the Great Stump

I liked this book

Thanks the grump

1. you sure about that?

2. expected

3. I had an idea last time I reread the series, but was not so sure til I read it.

4. I liked this, I still would like to see a reveal of Rand as brother to Galad

5. Sick I am sure, but most of his power users are AS so of course they will return to the fold of lameness.

6. Not pulled off as well as I hoped but cool none the less.

7. ? you mean red ajah/ashaman? that seems a pretty cool turn around no?

8. Be hilarious to find that Greandel was a double agent like Verin all along. Honestly thought the idea of the ultimate aesthetic being uncorrupted in truth would be cool.

9. Assuming you leave out the Seanchan

10. Can't wait to see her back in action.

11. Would love to see him pull it off outside of the wolfdream neo style. At the same time I would not.

Logaine? can't wait to see him take action again myself.

damane that will help who die? Rand? if so, are you talking about Alivia?

I would love to see Loial and the Ogier really take action in the next book.

Me too

I really liked this book to. The writing flowed allot better in this one than Gathering Storm; Brandon Sanderson's comfort level is increasing. The pace was excellent. His portrayal of all the characters...not just Mat, was far better.

My only complaint , if you will, is that when I read the prolouge with Fain and his enslaved Trollocs, I cant get the song "Zombie Jamborie" out of my head for quite a while.

I am personally gratefull that Sanderson, had done as well. When i found out that he took over, I was concerned. But that was temporary, even though the difference in the writing is noticable. He has done an excellent job at keeping the series going strong.

I really liked this book too except for a few things

1) Egwene

2) Nynaeve thanking Egwene for the test (that sickened me)

3) Lan marching to his death

4) the red veiled Aiel (not because it is new or anything, just that it is driving me nuts!)

5) it felt to me almost as if Sanderson was trying to incorporate fan inspired endings. . . it felt off in my first read, my second one it wasnt so bad

I have to be honest this is probably the only book I wouldn't re-read. The individual chapters were well written and good but there was no flow between them. The messed up timeline made it feel like this was just a filler book full of deleted scenes from the last one. It might have gone better if there were dates given under the chapter icons to help us out. I'd sooner read The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight both at once jumping back and forth to keep the timeline straight. There might be some quality loss in parts but Towers of Midnight didn't even feel like a book to me.

I'm not saying this to bash Brandon Sanderson, I think this was pretty much unavoidable when he had to split the book into three parts. I just couldn't shake that feeling that this book was just a collection of short stories connected to the main plot.

1. The true Power works in Far Madding I e The tall scarred blond Rand met there was Moridin in discuise.

5. Perrins group has discovered circles and power wrought weapons as well as a leader.

8.While we know Grendal did not personally destroy (kill?)two of the chosen, she is being held responsibile by The DO for three.

10. Moraine got rescued

Only a couple of questions bother me now, where is Logain, and the damane that will help him die, and what did Loial say at the Great Stump

I liked this book

Thanks the grump

1) Irrelvant

2) lanfear is irrelevant too at this point

3) So obvious who she was.

4) 2 books too late

5) yawn.

6) I will give you that.

7) black tower plot is behind by two books and it will be rushed in AMOL

8) Asmodean death is the most overrated death in the series. You don't have to be sherlock holmes to have figured out the killer

9) Armies won't decide tarmon gaidon. Armies are just a sideshow. Rand destroyed thousands of shadowspawn all by himself

10)Another long overdue plot resolution and it was rushed when it came to it

11) Rand and mat's abilities surpass him in the real world so give the poor fool something

Logain will turn up in the last book but his plot such like many others would be done in a few pages while morgase and tea drinking will take up chapter after chapter

Armies won't decide tarmon gaidon. Armies are just a sideshow. Rand destroyed thousands of shadowspawn all by himself

This, this and this.

Would love to see Demandred have a massive army engaging another massive one, and then he says to his second in command "Wait here a minute." He then Travels to behind the Lights army and proceeds to blast their shiny metal butts.

Questions:

How are they getting through Rands defenses to send him dreams? Alanna I think. In spite of everything he still has a soft spot for women and for Lanfear

Are the seanchan committed to fighting in rands current army of light.

Will Lan get toasted at the gap.

If it happens, how and by who will Camylyn be saved?

Who else will be in the circle with Rand Will it be another of his sweeties or the girl that will help him die.

What part will Fain play in the last battle?

Rand has 2 black wounds in his side, fuzzy sight, and a lost hand, Isn'r he supposed to be more banged up than that?

Is it possible or necessary for Suian or Settele to be restored to full power.

Do the wise ones know what Avendia does about the aiel future.

These questions don't seem quite on the same level as the ones answered but should give us something to chew on till the last book comes.

Thanks the grump

I have to be honest this is probably the only book I wouldn't re-read. The individual chapters were well written and good but there was no flow between them. The messed up timeline made it feel like this was just a filler book full of deleted scenes from the last one. It might have gone better if there were dates given under the chapter icons to help us out. I'd sooner read The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight both at once jumping back and forth to keep the timeline straight. There might be some quality loss in parts but Towers of Midnight didn't even feel like a book to me.

I'm not saying this to bash Brandon Sanderson, I think this was pretty much unavoidable when he had to split the book into three parts. I just couldn't shake that feeling that this book was just a collection of short stories connected to the main plot.

I have to agree with your summation of ToM being a collection of short stories. It grated on my nerves that the book jumped between 10 different storylines throughout the whole book. I don't know that this could have been avoided, but surely it could have been made less cumbersome to read. As written, it was just too choppy. The altered timelines, especially with Tam, was horrible and confused the heck out of me at first. Having said that, I will re-read the book just because I love the series and anticipate its conclusion.

Questions:

How are they getting through Rands defenses to send him dreams? Alanna I think. In spite of everything he still has a soft spot for women and for Lanfear

I understood this when Lanfear named the dark one as That dark thing that resides in all mens minds or something. I thought that was pretty cool. You can keep the forsaken out, but the dark one is not a human as such. He is evil itself which resides in all men.

10. Moraine got rescued

I liked this book

Thanks the grump

1) Irrelvant

4) 2 books too late

5) yawn.

6) I will give you that.

8) Asmodean death is the most overrated death in the series. You don't have to be sherlock holmes to have figured out the killer

9) Armies won't decide tarmon gaidon. Armies are just a sideshow. Rand destroyed thousands of shadowspawn all by himself

11) Rand and mat's abilities surpass him in the real world so give the poor fool something

Logain will turn up in the last book but his plot such like many others would be done in a few pages while morgase and tea drinking will take up chapter after chapter

It seems that you dislike the series and have no tolerance of anyone else enjoying it, so stop reading them and go away...

10. Moraine got rescued

I liked this book

Thanks the grump

1) Irrelvant

4) 2 books too late

5) yawn.

6) I will give you that.

It seems that you dislike the series and have no tolerance of anyone else enjoying it, so stop reading them and go away...

I just finished the book and i must say what a disappointing book this has turned out to be. After the brilliant TGS, this book falls into path of daggers territory.

After the brilliant TGS

i would say something back by then i realised it is simply not worth the effort..

hey Elan, :dry: why did you feel the need to comment on an innocent dragonmounters thread and shoot him and all his statements down, when he affected you in no way, and was just expressng excitement and making his thoughts known (the whole point of forums). If you dont like someones thread or you think their statements are juvenile, then ignore them.

Xader is right, you dont seem to have liked this book or MOST OF THE MAJOR PLOTLINES at all.... so why are you on the towers of midnight spoiler forum if it is discussing the very things you have expressed dislike or disgruntlement over. I wonder. :huh:

hey Elan, :dry: why did you feel the need to comment on an innocent dragonmounters thread and shoot him and all his statements down, when he affected you in no way, and was just expressng excitement and making his thoughts known (the whole point of forums). If you dont like someones thread or you think their statements are juvenile, then ignore them.

Xader is right, you dont seem to have liked this book or MOST OF THE MAJOR PLOTLINES at all.... so why are you on the towers of midnight spoiler forum if it is discussing the very things you have expressed dislike or disgruntlement over. I wonder. :huh:

I have read 7-8 responses of his that seem intentionally from the perspective of not the poster, but a caricature of the character Elan Tedronai. Dude is trolling in character, which sometimes is humorous; like here where he responds to the Discuss Demandred thread.

Consider his answers from this thread now-

1) Irrelvant

4) 2 books too late

5) yawn.

6) I will give you that.

Hey guys

I don't take anything personally, I was just happy to have about a 40% more or less confirmation that I was thinking along more or less correct lines.

So if it makes anyone happy to cheer my 60% wrong rate I am good with that.

Thanks the grump

I enjoyed TGS much more then TOM, even though TOM had more chapters I enjoyed, as stand alone chapters. That's due to until TOM came out it was not clear what a monumental mistake it was to split the books as they have been. I get they needed to be split, but 3 books rather then 2 destroyed the feeling of despair before redemption (A Memory of Light anyone?) RJ was obviously working towards.

You look at where the other plot lines would have been in if it was all in chronological before Egwene's ascension and Rand's epiphany. From TOM you'd add in Perrin trapped by Dreamspike - forced to either kill Galad and the Whitecloaks or face a trial he thinks he can't win. Plus the wolves worrying the Last Hunt won't happen. Mat having to wait in Caemlyn, with everyone thinking what Moraine is so important for is to help Rand regain his humanity. And Aviendha's visions to add darkness to it all. Having them in another book the Perrin and Mat storylines lacked that despair when everyone had seen shiny, happy Rand in VOG and TOM Chapter 1. And with new Rand the idea of Avi's visions coming true as they are seem a hell of a lot less likely then they would have if they'd been seen before VOG.

IMO a 2 book split would have been perfect. Book 1 could have ditched the Perrin chapters from TGS (they added nothing) and had just the one Mat chapter from there - meeting Verin. With the transplanted Blight in Perrins arc and Avi's visions, Hinderstap wouldn't have been needed as filler. The book would have ended on Egwene as Amyrlin, Rand's had his epiphany, Perrin is still having to deal with the Whitecloaks, but now knows Rand is good and the Last Hunt will happen. So you'd have a 1/3 to 1/2 of TOM in the last book - Rand's mea culpa, Egwene's battle with Messana, Perrin's battle and Moraine's rescue. Leaving the rest to what will be in AMOL.

With access to the outline and notes I just can't get my head around how anyone could think they way they were split was best in any regard, except getting it to market as quickly as possible. And if get it out quick, rather then get it out with the story told as closely to how RJ intended was their rationale, then, well, I can't repeat what I think on a family friendly website. A book can only be late once, it can be bad forever. The split and the 'smaller' errors - continuity, spelling, etc. have pushed TOM (especially) and TGS to far towards the latter for my liking. I wish 'Team Jordan' had held off until we could have had a book adhering more closely to RJ's vision - even if we as fans had had to wait an extra 12 months for it.

Questions:

I understood this when Lanfear named the dark one as That dark thing that resides in all mens minds or something. I thought that was pretty cool. You can keep the forsaken out, but the dark one is not a human as such. He is evil itself which resides in all men.

Many people think that Rand's dream are only accessible to Moridin, and Rand also has access to Moridin's dreams because of the link between them that started when their balefire streams crossed in TPoD. In TGS, Rand goes to Moridin's dreams, the scene in ToM Epilogue is inconclusive as to the origin, but many speculate that because of Rand's link to Moridin and Moridin possession of Cyndane's mindtrap is what allowed Rand to enter the place Moridin or the DO torture's her in her dreams.

I have read 7-8 responses of his that seem intentionally from the perspective of not the poster, but a caricature of the character Elan Tedronai. Dude is trolling in character, which sometimes is humorous; like here where he responds to the Discuss Demandred thread.

ohhhhh..... well, in that case i am sorry, elan. My comment was erroneus. Let us move past this and lets all be friends! Yay! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

@ajfurst.... I didnt know you had access to the notes and the outline, what exactly is the ending of the book then and you pm them to me? unless you actually are a part of "team jordan" dont accuse them of getting it wrong. chances are the parts you hated most are parts that jordan wrote. I love his writing as much as everyone else on this site, but can you honestly see mr. sanderson going into so much detail about how morgase was pouring the tea? i like sanderson too, but he isnt a detail junky, i have read his books and cant think of a single one that spent one entire chapter describing dresses. the faster paced parts are in part because he doesnt describe in intimate detail the pattern on a dress, three times, and in part because he had to include morgase being revealed, and the other things everyone is b&%%&ing about in order for him to say by robert jordan and brandon sanderson.

Archived