NSW Character - Gray Ajah Head

Character Information

State whether this is a Traditional or a Salidar character: Traditional

Name (first and last): Lailyn Konaris

Noble House: Illian, House Konaris

Nationality: Illian

Further: Head of Gray Ajah

Appearance

Hair: Mid length, semi thick, straight dark brown with some grays. Usually hanging loose or kept back with a net of pearls.

Eyes: Dark brown

Skin: Darkened tan that is normal for Illianers

Height: 5’4"

Voice: She speaks firmly in a voice that is slightly deep, like a firm mother. Illianer accent.

Other: Lailyn may be called pretty by some, and average by others. Her nose is a bit thin and pointed, her lips neither thick nor thin, all set on a squarish face.

Personality:

At the Tower fellow novices came to regard Lailyn as a little apathetic toward anything other than her learning. She did not go out of her way to make friends and didn't do enough to make many enemies, though the girls who teased her, or tried to, were soon put off by either her indifference or her lengthy explanations of why it was more important for people to pull together rather than to set themselves apart. While she came to be known for her apparent lack of empathy toward others, she also came to be known as a good neutral person to approach if situations came up that needed resolving and as a person who would give truthful testimony to anything, even if she had to implicate herself. Mostly, however, as a novice she spent as much time as she could with Accepted and as Accepted with Aes Sedai (at least what was allowable or tolerated). She took up studies on law, history and philosophy more than anything else and was raised to Aes Sedai with several Ajahs hoping to gain her as a member.

Lailyn now resides mostly in the White Tower but has an estate in Illian in her name, though only her great-nephew and his family lives there now. She is neat, organized to the point that her personal books are alphabetized and sorted by subject, and once in a while she teaches about political history and economy to Accepted. Her lack of trust makes her impartial to individual people, relying on facts and the letter of the law. She does of course take into account factors of justice and situations when making a decision so she is not heartless, but balances as carefully as possible the concerns of involved parties and law.

Character History: Lailyn was the daughter of a former lord on the Council of Nine until he became too old to effectively run his post. He taught his daughter about politics when she asked but a majority of that teaching went to her older brother, her only other sibling. Lailyn kept her ears open when she could and dreamed of marrying a man who was as rich as her family.

It was her mother who one day suggested she go to the White Tower for possible training after Lailyn expressed her displeasure at not being able to have a hand in her father's and brother's discussions with the rulers of Illian. Lailyn suggested to her mother her "plan" to entice the then-King's son into courting her - then she would have as much say as she wanted when it came to policy making. However, her mother saw nothing but flaws in that plan, especially since the prince was already infatuated with someone else. Believing the White Tower would give her daughter a broader world perspective and a better head for political manoeuvring, the two women and an entourage of guards set out for Tar Valon.

Lailyn spent an even six and six years as a novice and Accepted with an average record. Soon after picking up the shawl she went back to Illian for some years, then to Cairhien, Illian, Andor and a couple other places over the years before settling once more in the Tower. Now recently she has been chosen as the new Head Clerk.

Edited by Mystica
CC'd by FL

I'm not quite sure how to interpret the 'former' in 'former lord of the Council of Nine'. Is this a hereditary position, that you know of or are the positions on the Council determined by vote or choice or assignment? Will this family become a minor noble family now or how should I interpret this?

LOL confusing huh? I know, I'm scratching my head too. *grins* But since we've decided to record only the main nobles, the info makes a difference.

Great bio though :) consider it CC'd. Just let's work out the noble situation, so I can record it properly.

I figure how it worked is that the position was passed on to Lailyn's brother. The Assemblage is chosen by the merchant's and ship owners but I have found no information on how the Council of Nine is set up.

Evidence also suggests, from The Dragon Reborn, that the Council is elected too. Considering Lailyn's age, her brother is long dead now, so only her great nephew has the estate, and his family.

From TDR:

“What has occurred out of the ordinary in Illian of late?” Moiraine said finally.

“I do suppose you could call Lord Brend’s ascension to the Council of Nine unusual,” Nieda said. “Fortune prick me, I can no remember ever hearing his name before the winter, but he did come to the city — from somewhere near the Murandian border, it be rumored — and did be raised inside a week. It do be said he be a good man, and strongest of the Nine — they all do follow his lead, it be said, though he be newest and unknown — but sometimes I do have strange dreams of him.”