DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Recommended Reading for Me?

FantasyMike

Hi, as you can see I just now joined this site, although I have been reading threads for quite a while. I have been rather bored lately and am now looking for new books to find to read, as I have even run out of rereads that I feel up to at the moment. To give you an idea of the books that I like so far, (let me start by saying I want to restrict your suggestions to sci-fi and fantasy, unless you absolutely feel the need to share a book with me, lol) here is a list off the top of my head.

LE Modesitt's Recluce series, as well as the first book of his Corean series, and his Imager trilogy.

WoT, of course.

ASoIaF by GRRM.

David Weber's SafeHold series.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

All of Brandon Sanderson's works.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind (I'm sure I'll have hell to pay from you guys for this one).

These were the books that I could think of off the top of my head that I enjoyed the most.

I most certainly DO NOT enjoy the Malazan Book of the Fallen series; for me, it was just too hard to get into.

So my question for all of you is this: can you find me books that, based off this list, that you think I would enjoy?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I third the Foundation series.

- Troy trilogy by David Gemmell and absolutely everything else he's done, he does alot of stand alone books. Troy being his only true series. Although the others are all set in the same worlds, 5 - 100 years apart with recurring characters and worlds/nations. Incredibly character driven and vivid writing style. Cannot recommend him enough :p

- "The Age of Misrule" trilogy by Mark Chadbourn. He followed this up with another 6 books(2 trilogy sets) whilst not as good as the first 3, still very good books. Set in present day, technology starts to fail and the old gods/ mythic creatures start to come out to reclaim the world again. Amazingly well written engaging characters, the kind you miss when it is all finished.

- Anything by Michael Moorcock, namely the books in the "Eternal Champion" cycle. Pretty much a character that is called to many different dimentions and assumes different heroes for each world. Pretty bad explanation that doesn't do it justice, some really good books though. The guy coined the term "multiverse" :p

- Stephen Donaldsons "Thomas Covenant" series, if you haven't heard of this one I'd be kinda confused.

- "Riverworld" series by Phillip Jose Farmer. Really cool look at the after life, man dies and wakes up on an Island filled with lots of people and goes on a journey to figure out what is happening. Pretty sure the begining scene in this influenced the Matrix a little.

- "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, only one book so far, the next comes out in March. Very addictive, well paced and well written, this guy is gonna be the next big thing with his series I reckon.

That's a few to keep you going for a while.

Hi, as you can see I just now joined this site, although I have been reading threads for quite a while. I have been rather bored lately and am now looking for new books to find to read, as I have even run out of rereads that I feel up to at the moment. To give you an idea of the books that I like so far, (let me start by saying I want to restrict your suggestions to sci-fi and fantasy, unless you absolutely feel the need to share a book with me, lol) here is a list off the top of my head.

LE Modesitt's Recluce series, as well as the first book of his Corean series, and his Imager trilogy.

WoT, of course.

ASoIaF by GRRM.

David Weber's SafeHold series.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

All of Brandon Sanderson's works.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind (I'm sure I'll have hell to pay from you guys for this one).

These were the books that I could think of off the top of my head that I enjoyed the most.

I most certainly DO NOT enjoy the Malazan Book of the Fallen series; for me, it was just too hard to get into.

So my question for all of you is this: can you find me books that, based off this list, that you think I would enjoy?

Thanks in advance!

*Looks at The Sword of Truth listed there*

*laughs slightly while choosing death*

This is intended for a younger audience but I seem to remember it being pretty awesome, try The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. I'm likely going to be revisiting it soon myself to see if its as awesome as I recall, so its something to look into. Here's the wikipedia page to if if interested.

Archived