DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A question for those that have read Sanderson's books

I don't feel there is any preferred order. I started with the Mistborn books, The final Empire was great, Well of ascension was a bit of a let down IMO, and Hero of ages gave it enough of an ending to satisfy me. Warbreaker was ok but not really my cup of tea and I never read Elantris. I did really enjoy The Way of Kings though, but its another long series, and you may not want to get into another one of those. I was reluctant to, but I'm glad I did.

I have not read Warbreaker yet so I can offer no opinion on that. Nor have I read the last book of Mistborn, so I do not know if the entire series is good. However I believe the the first two books in the Mistborn trilogy are great books and an excellent read. Elantris is good, I just don't think it is spectacular. Although I was sick at the time so maybe I just have bad memories of it from that.

Mistborn is very good, but I agree that the Well of Ascension is a little behind the first and third books. I have been disappointed once or twice, but the main story is ok.

I'm not yet done with Warbreaker, but I really like it for the moment. The politics are a lot like Daes Dae Mar, and there are some really good characters (Lightsong and the two mercenaries are excellent IMO).

Haven't started Elantris yet, and the first chapters of the Way of Kings are really good. Didn't continue yet, wanted to wait Towers of Midnight before going further.

I enjoyed all his books, though they're not without faults. He's been growing as an author, so keep that in mind if you start his books, because his first, while good in many respects, is somewhat of an amateurish effort. Mistborn is a solid effort, I liked these books a lot, you can see how he's grown as an author, but you can tell he's still a little new. Warbreaker is somewhat of a mixed bag. It has some great ideas, but the pacing/tone feels a bit off, it's not necessarily cohesive. I may be more overly critical of it than I need to be, I still enjoyed it. It was kind of like he had so much to say but he limited himself to a single novel.

Archived