DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's hand theory. *Possible KoD spoiler*

gaishain

Okay I do not know if this has been noticed or discussed on the boards before... if it has forgive me and disregard this. Here I go. Okay I am re-reading the series for a 3rd time. I am on Shadow Rising and in chapter 5 "Questioners" on page 118 Nynaeve is explaining to Aviendha what Stilling and being Burned Out are. Nynaeve says something that makes me think about KoD when Rand's hand incident occurs. She says:

"Stilling is not a thing anyone would choose to study, you understand." Nynaeve continued. "It is generally accepted to be irreversible. What makes a woman able to channel cannot be replaced once it is removed, any more than a hand that has been cut off can be Healed back into exsistance."

Now we all know that RJ likes to give hints about some things that are going to happen later in the series do you think this could be a hint to something? I mean Nynaeve did already do the impossible by Healing a Stilling. Could it be possible for Nynaeve to find a way to restore or regenerate body parts such as a lost hand?

Am I just reading too much into this? What do you ya'll think?

I believe there is a very good chance that this is what will happen. I also think that there is a chance the other thing that everyone thinks cant be healed will be healed--death. When someone says something cant be done it makes me think it will be done. I may be wrong about the death thing, but I believe the hand thing.

I've seen this pop up so many times, and I still don't get the fixation with Rand's hand. It's gone, get over it. It's not like he's going to fight the DO with a sword, he doesn't need two hands.

I would be OH so very disappointed at RJ if he gave Rand his hand back. Unless Rand dies from the procedure, then I might accept it :D

Then again, Rand just happens to have the most powerful healer from the Age of Legends as his captive. Semirhage was considered miraculous, even in the AoL. Not that I would like to see that happen, either. Too easy. Kind, but too easy.

Anyway, how likely is Rand to let Semirhage heal him? Or Nynaeve to trust any healing tips from her.

I've seen that pop up too. Frankly i think people give Semirhage too much credit. With Nynaeve, Sumeko and Flinns new healings at work, i rather suspect that people are very much nearing the level of Forsaken healing.

As for the rest... like Maj i would be intensely disapointed.

I don't think Rand will get his hand back. The loss of his hand was significant. Its been a portent for a long time with Min's viewings and as I heard someone say, sort of a throw back to the Norse god Tyr. Luke Skywalker used the same thing. Another fantasy book from a long time ago had a "reborn" hero prophecized to return named Berek Halfhand.

When he loses his hand, everyone is beside themselves with grief, but Rand accepts it and moves on. However, we do see a pang of regret when he tries putting his "missing" hand on Min's shoulder. He is human afterall.

The are damages taken in war however and they're starting to pile up (insanity, unhealing wound on his side, missing hand).

I think healing his hand back into existance would rob the significance of the event.

It's a fairly common motief amongst writers who dont like to kill characters. That being said in RJ's world it serves more purpose then that, Rand is building up a bunch of wounds as he goes... the two never healing ones, the hand, the nausia (if that can be termed a wound), possible eye damage. To my mind this is leading to the moment when Moridin and he body swap, and perhaps more significantly, Moridin's life AFTER the body swap.

The later would be a waste, and no one knows if the first is possible... though i doubt it. Additionally an a'dam does not give the leash holder Semirhage's ability. They can control her, but they would have to let her do as she chose if she was going to cure him, and she could kill him just as fast.

Frankly i doubt the matter even occured to Rand... he doesn't need his hand to do what needs to be done.

I think just about anything is possible with the OP' date=' so yeah I could see Nyneave finding a way to give Rand his hand back. It would probably take the power of a man and a woman channeling.[/quote']

If it did need to be a man and a woman channeling together (and I am not saying that it is possible), it would be pretty funny when Nyneave heals him only to find out this nessecity. Rand would most likely end up with a "strong hand" like the one in Scary Movie 2. :P

• 4 weeks later...

The are I read somewhere certain things that have to be sacraficed before the wheel lines up for TG. Remember the reality quiver when perrin gave up the banner. Perrinn and crew experienced another of them when Rand lost his hand. I would guess there will be another when the matter of Mats eye is settled. It seems that there were a couple more but I have lost them

i think Nynaeve will discover how to resurect the dead. She will be the greatest healer ever and when Rand dies at TG she'll fix him up....but then she would do crazy and ressurect the DO then its the eternal battle thingie all over....hahah never ending WoT the wheel is meant to turn forever no? Maybe they discovered weed at emonds field and they all start smoking it instead of tabac! then we got everyone stoned and Rand the DO are best buds!.....

weeeeeeeeeeeee

Archived