DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Channelers an disease

Taura-Tierno

What kind of immunities does the One Power confer on channelers? In chapter 41 of the The Eye of the World, there's this reference:

"Is it catching? I can still treat him. I don't seem to catch sick, no matter what it is."

"Oh, it is catching," Moiraine said, "and your ... protection would not save you."

But that's the only reference to it in the books, as far as I can remember. Is it mentioned elsewhere? I know it says somewhere that Aes Sedai died during the breaking because they caught diseases and didn't find anyone to Heal them, so they can't be completely immune. Where is the limit? Are the immune to really contagious diseases? Would they be able to get something like HIV/AIDS in modern society? Can they get cancer?

Or can they only get sick from infections from untreated wounds?

Is there any information on the subject at all?

Channeling makes you immune to normal, biological diseases.

No it doesn't:

In large part the thirteen were remembered because they were trapped at Shayol Ghul, and so their names became part of that story, though it turned out that details of them, stories of them, survived wide-spread knowledge of the tale of the actual sealing itself. Just that they had been sealed away. Other Forsaken were left behind, so to speak, free but in a world that was rapidly sliding down the tube. The men eventually went mad and died from the same taint that killed off the other male Aes Sedai. They had no access to the Dark One's protective filters. The women died, too, though from age or in battle or from natural disasters created by insane male Aes Sedai or from diseases that could no longer be controlled because civilization itself had been destroyed and access to those who were skilled in Healing was all but gone. And soon after their deaths, their names were forgotten, except for what might possibly be discovered in some ancient manuscript fragment that survived the Breaking. A bleak story of people who deserved no better, and not worth telling in any detail.

It's that quote about how women died from diseases during the breaking that got my wondering. But are those special diseases? Are Aes Sedai immune to some kinds of diseases? I definitely believe so, since I doubt it's Nynaeve's healing skills. Why would her ability to make good Healing weaves make her immune to catching anything?

That's why I was wondering, because there seems to be some stuff they are immune to, and some that they aren't immune to. Someone at another site told me that it was probably true that they couldn't catch stuff like common colds, but they could die from infected wounds. But I cannot recall anything being said about it in the books.

And it wouldn't feel unreasonable to assume that since the One Power decreases aging, it might also boost the immune system.

As the village Wisdom Nyn would come in contact with many sick people. Her repeated exposure would build up her immune system. They don't know about an immune system at this time. She thought Mat had a regular disease Mo knew otherwise.

Except for the slowing of age the OP doesn't do much else for a channler (excluding the taint).

As the village Wisdom Nyn would come in contact with many sick people. Her repeated exposure would build up her immune system. They don't know about an immune system at this time. She thought Mat had a regular disease Mo knew otherwise.

Except for the slowing of age the OP doesn't do much else for a channler (excluding the taint).

But Moiraine commented on her "protection", like it was something that would work normally.

I've got a good immune system, I rarely got ill. But I do sometimes. Nynaeve should also catch something, sometimes. Her "no matter what" suggests to me that she doesn't get sick even if it's something extremely contagious.

But Moiraine commented on her "protection", like it was something that would work normally.

I've got a good immune system, I rarely got ill. But I do sometimes. Nynaeve should also catch something, sometimes. Her "no matter what" suggests to me that she doesn't get sick even if it's something extremely contagious.

Moiraine's "protection" relates to protection from unnatural sources such as the Dark One's influence and the darkness that's infected everything in Shadar Logoth. It's indicated that channellers gain benefits to resisting those influences but that channellers are also open to certain methods of subversion which only work on channellers. Moiraine's protection doesn't relate to mundane diseases or sicknesses.

In the case of the quote you're referencing, Moraine is referring to a supernatural affliction, specifically to Mat and the ruby hilted dagger.

Moiraine's "protection" relates to protection from unnatural sources such as the Dark One's influence and the darkness that's infected everything in Shadar Logoth. It's indicated that channellers gain benefits to resisting those influences but that channellers are also open to certain methods of subversion which only work on channellers. Moiraine's protection doesn't relate to mundane diseases or sicknesses.

In the case of the quote you're referencing, Moraine is referring to a supernatural affliction, specifically to Mat and the ruby hilted dagger.

But is Nynaeve aware of that protection at that point? It still feels to me that Moiraine is saying that in response to Nynaeve's comment that she never catches anything, at all.

But is Nynaeve aware of that protection at that point? It still feels to me that Moiraine is saying that in response to Nynaeve's comment that she never catches anything, at all.

Channeling is an automatic protection, it's not something you need to consciously trigger. So long as you have the ability and power, you have that protection. Nynaeve's still blocked at this point but when she treats patients she gets angry enough to channel, without knowing that she's doing so. Moiraine's being obtuse here because Nynaeve's still not sold on the idea of being a wilder and later becoming Aes Sedai so Moiraine's trying to phrase it without sparking that particular argument.

Perhaps it's as simple as the Power making you tougher. Saidin/Saidar extends their life greatly, so it's not too much a stretch to imagine it also making them more resistant to diseases.

I did always wish RJ would clarify the benefits Warders got from the bond, and what channelers got from he One Power.

Perhaps it's as simple as the Power making you tougher. Saidin/Saidar extends their life greatly, so it's not too much a stretch to imagine it also making them more resistant to diseases.

I did always wish RJ would clarify the benefits Warders got from the bond, and what channelers got from he One Power.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. That they don't get ordinary diseases, but if it's something really, really aggressive, they might contract it.

We pretty much know what Warders get: great resistance to injury, they'll stay vital and able to fight into old age, ability to go for long periods without sleep and cope with lack of food and water longer, can detect Shadowspawn when they're nearby. Based on tGS, when Gareth kills the Bloodknife, they gain some small sensory enhancement as well.

Hmm, the One Power gives protection to babies, when Aes Sedai are pregnant . . .

So, it gives at least protection from certain things.

This got me curious. Where is this mentioned?

IIRC the only benefit Elayne got as a channeller during her pregnancy was the lack of morning sickness.

Yes, the Wise Ones said she wouldn't have to endure morning sickness. But that's also another perk that channeling gives you. Would make an awful lot of sense if there were others.

Archived