6. Trial by Fire
  7. Song of the Unicorns
  8. All's Fairy in Love and War
  9. Ghost Wolf
  10. Heart of Avalon
  11. Dark Mage
  12. Full Cicle

4. Target Audience: Young Adult
5. New book release date: All books have been completed but a spin-off might be published soon. The date hasn't been released yet. And the movie is coming out this summer. 

These were the books that first got me into fantasy. Also, they have beautiful illustrations. 

• 1 month later...

Elizabeth Haydon

Symphony of Ages

1. Rhapsody: Child of Blood

2. Prophecy: Child of Earth

3. Destiny: Child of the Sky

(the series gets a bit boring after book 3, should have stopped at a trilogy, was no need to go on)

4. Requiem for the Sun

5. Elegy for a Lost Star

6. The Assassin King

7. The Merchant Emperor

Adult fantasy fiction but suitable reading for teens.

Probaby more books to come and there is a spin off series.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Daniel Abraham

The Long Price Quartet

1. A Shadow in Summer

2. A Betrayal in Winter

3. An Autumn War

4. The Price of Spring (hard to find for some reason)

Adult

cant praise this series enough. such a completely unique world and storyline, which is really difficult to find in fantasy nowadays. had me on my toes the entire time, because you can never guess where this guy is going next. The characters in this series are about as safe as the characters in A Song of Ice and Fire.

One really interesting thing I want to mention that I thought was really unique about these books: the books all involve the same characters and the same overall plotline, but the story spans the course of like 42 years, with more than 12 years between each book. very weird feeling since Ive never read a series that did that before.

• 5 months later...

I can recommend the book 'Genome' by Matt Ridley. Apart from the fact that this book is an excellent introduction to genetics, it goes about evolution and heredity, human biology, history, psychology, disease, medicine, food, sexuality, instinct, intelligence, personality, behavior. And the book changed the way I think about all this. By the way, here you can find out that chromosome linkage studies seek to identify markers on specific genes within DNA that correspond to one or more specific physical or personality expressions.

Matt has another cool book - 'The Rational Optimist'. In the book, he argues that the key to human progress is trade, and the more open it is, the greater the potential for progress. As a result of the evolution of ideas, mankind will be able to improve its living conditions, despite overpopulation and climate change.

• JenniferL unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

Margaret Weis Tracy Hickman

Over arcing series: Dragonlance 

I would suggest these as Young Adult books 

Chronicles + Lost Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, Dragons of Winter Night,   Dragons of the Highlord Skies, Dragons of Spring Dawning, Dragons of the Hourglass Mage

Legends: Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, Test of the Twins

The Second Generation: The Second Generation and Dragons of Summer Flame

The War of Souls: Dragons of a Fallen Sun, Dragons of a Lost Star, Dragons of a Vanished Moon

The Dark Disciple trilogy: Amber and Ashes, Amber and Iron, Amber and Blood

Edited by Illian Tear