DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sadness

Bowden

I'm sad. Only one book left. This epic tale has been a part of my life ever since my pre-teen days. I feel like I know all these characters personally. While I'm excited that the end is in sight, I'm saddened by the loss of no new developments. I understand that these are fictional characters, and that it's a fictional world. I think the saddest part is that people won't be able to be as emotionally invested in the story anymore. Those of us who started reading back in the 90's have had to wait, do rereads, and go over and over tantalizing hints of what may happen. That era is basically at an end now. One year and the final book arrives.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I just blurring the line between fantasy and reality? lol

I agree. RJ put so much life and personality into all of these charecters that I feel like I actualy know them and hang out with them, as if they are my friends. Now it feels kind of like I know all of my friends are going to go away for good, I will have no new adventures with them or any new memories to make, but will be stuck with only the memories of what we've been through so far, and I know exactly when this is going to happen, but I can do nothing to stop it from happening. Craziness.

Yeah I feel the same way. I can't wait to read the last two books, but I also don't really want them to end. I haven't been reading them as long as some, but it's been years since I first read the first book, and with all the rereads and just general reading I always have had the prospect that there was more to come.

100% agree.

I've been reading WoT for more than HALF of my life! Constant re-reads have been justified because I've been brushing up to get prepared for the release of the next books. When its over I don't know what I will do with myself. I read Eye of the World in the same year I read the first Harry Potter ('98) and one of those is already done. I'm going to be an empty shell when WoT is over.

Will we ever see another series that's even half so epic? I sincerely hope so, but I doubt it can happen at this level.

The other day I told myself that I wasn't going to read A Memory of Light because I didn't want it to be over. Then I told myself that was ridiculous. But still...

I guess there's still ASoIaF, I'll probably be middle-aged before that series is over.

I must admit to looking forward to aMoL and not looking forward to it. This series has been huge to me since about 1993 or so. I am glad to see the final battle commence and be sorted, but then the characters I have loved and hated will finally be done for good. Apart from rereads which I am sure many more of us will still do.

This was one of the first sets I bought when I got my Kindle - except KoD and CoT which for some insane reason cannot be bought in the UK - and it makes it a lot easier to read. It begs the question really will there be other outriggers and prequels? Will we get an official WoT encyclopedia?

It will be a very sad day for all of us once that final book arrives via UPS/Royal Mail or via download from Amazon the world will not see another series so rich in history and characters again.

Thankfully we will still have Dragonmount for us to discuss our love of the books/characters and places, and most likely theories as to what happens after Tarmon Gai'don.

I will be a little bit sad when I've read the last pages of AMoL, but mostly glad. As much as I love the WoT, it's high time this series is over with. After AMoL I'm sure I'll have a few (probably more than a few) good rereads with all sorts of new foreshadowing to catch for the first time, and that'll be enough for me. I'm tired of being so affected by wanting to read the next book that it actually interferes with RL stuff I should be concentrating on more. Let it end, let the ending be "Fantastic" as Brandon put it, and let's appreciate it and move on.

I think being happy and sad is fitting for the series. I've also been reading WoT since the nineties and share that feeling of friendship with the characters that others have mentioned. And while I will be sad to see them go, I will be happy for them...that they can rest, and I know I can visit them anytime. The nice thing about a neverending, outlandishly long, epic series is that by the time you get to the end, you can start right back at the beginning. And it's been so long since you were there, it almost feels new again. I love noticing things I didn't before, or laughing out loud at comments by one character that I had totally forgotten about.

I'd say I'm more sad that there will not be any more WoT novels than that this series is over. I would have loved to see RJ do the war of power and the breaking, but alas.

Archived