Jump to content

DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Dragons Lair

WoT Copyright and Miniatures

Recommended Posts

Hi All

 

Mods I'm not sure if this is in the right section, please move to the appropriate one.

 

Like all of us on this board, I'm a huge fan of the series. I am also a massive fan of painting fantasy miniatures from companies such as reaper miniatures and dark sword miniatures.

 

After acquiring some of the GRRM Martin miniatures produced by Dark Sword, I searched everywhere for some miniatures based on The Wheel of Time books. Unfortunately none exist so I was sore out of luck. I have since been in contact with a professional sculptor and I am hoping to get him to sculpt some miniatures based on the characters in the books which I could then produce and hopefully sell.

 

I was hoping someone here would be able to put me in touch with the owner of the copyright. Do I need to contact Tor Publishing or Harriet herself?

 

On a related note, what characters would you like to be made into miniature form. I'm thinking of doing different versions of the main characters as they progress through the story. For example, Egwene as the innkeepers daughter, as a novice, as an accepted, and as the Amyrlin Seat.

 

Thanks all and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd expect Harriet owns the IP now.

 

I'd like to see miniatures of pretty much every character but an idea occurs to me for how to do it; produce sets of characters from specific scenes or parties in the books. Examples follow:

 

The party who left Emond's Field - including Moiraine, Lan, Thom, Rand, Mat, Perrin, Nynaeve, Egwene.

The first meeting with the Tinkers - including Perrin, Egwene, Raen, Ila, Elyas, Aram.

The otherworld trip - including Selene, Rand, Hurin, Loial.

The palace - including Rand, Elaida, Morgase, Gareth.

The warder training yard - including Mat, Gawyn, Galad, Hammar.

The triple bonding - including Rand, Min, Aviendha, Elayne.

 

The possibilities are limitless and you get a nice temporal gradation without even trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need to contact the Jordan estate, via Harriet. You can write to her in care of Tor Books.

 

Harriet McDougal

c/o Tor Books

175 Fifth Ave.

New York, NY 10010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need to contact the Jordan estate, via Harriet. You can write to her in care of Tor Books.

 

Harriet McDougal

c/o Tor Books

175 Fifth Ave.

New York, NY 10010

 

Thankyou for this information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a quick update on this project.

 

First of all my plan is to send Harriet some concept sketches along with my proposal.

 

I'm currently trying to talk with the artist who completed this

 

MAT_CAUTHON__fan_art__by_solitarium.jpg

 

I think it's a great adaption of Mat, but I would be interested to hear other's thoughts. What's missing, what's not quite right etc.

 

One thing I thought of would be the foxhead medallion but where could you show it given it would be under his shirt.

 

Cheers and thanks for your input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Husband is a  board gamer and is into Warhammer Age of Sigmar,  Blood Bowl and Warhammer 40,000, I've always been interested in RPG such as D&D but never ventured any further than just browsing. 

 

For my birthday last week I was in Forbidden Planet and came across The Wheel of Time for the first time.  I purchased The Eye of the World in a bundle of the first six books, I started this week and cannot put the book down. 

 

Although right at the beginning of the saga, I have already thought, I wonder if they do miniatures of these fantastic characters and have found the Wheel of Time RPG book online, I really think this is something I could get into as love the depth of the development of the characters from Edmond's Field.  Seeing this discussion topic really appealed to me, does anyone have any update, or, if any of you are Warhammer / Miniature painters, have you ever made your own versions of Wheel of Time characters to RPG out of Games Workshop or other companies products?  If anyone has, any suggestions?

 

Thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Leanne,

 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to contact Harriet. A shame really as I know some of the best miniature sculptors in the world and the miniatures would have been amazing.

 

I've sinced moved on and are busy producing my own commercial miniatures however I may revisit the idea in the future as it's such a good story with lots of great characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 years later, hmmmmmmmm:wink: Better late than never.

 

If you got appraisable references then contact the administrators of this site, and they will make the contact between you and Harriet.

 

JordanCon 2018 will be held April 20-22, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia.

 

There's no way that you cannot contact with Harriet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2018 at 12:47 PM, Dragons Lair said:

Hi Leanne,

 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to contact Harriet. A shame really as I know some of the best miniature sculptors in the world and the miniatures would have been amazing.

 

I've sinced moved on and are busy producing my own commercial miniatures however I may revisit the idea in the future as it's such a good story with lots of great characters.

 

That is a shame, well with Sony now having the rights to the series, which I found out after starting Eye of the World at the beginning of this month, may be we will get some merchandise.  

 

I feel I have started this saga at the right time, it is as if it found me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really needs to be a thing. I actually arrived at this site because I was looking for figures based on this series. If you can’t get rights, some people design something close enough but just don’t use the right names. Just something so that people know what you’re talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I daresay I just came across this idea and it sounds kinda cool....

 

One of the interesting things about WoT to me I guess is it's like just the book series.. which makes it feel very

pure.... it almost seems like these days if you have figures soon people we'll be wondering those are canon in

some strange way or something.... but I guess that's probably being really paranoid.

 

I think what it really boilw boils down to though is these can be additive and interesting and cool

they're just figures which people can get as a way to show being a fan.

 

So that's nice......

 

Er anyway basically yeah I suppose if they're really authentic things then it probably is sort of a copyright IP

thing in some way to be able to make them....

 

But the thing is yeah the author should be or perhaps the author's representative or perhaps both I guess

can I'm almost certain get over that hurdle and yes better late than never somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2010 at 9:17 AM, Dragons Lair said:

Hi All

 

Mods I'm not sure if this is in the right section, please move to the appropriate one.

 

Like all of us on this board, I'm a huge fan of the series. I am also a massive fan of painting fantasy miniatures from companies such as reaper miniatures and dark sword miniatures.

 

After acquiring some of the GRRM Martin miniatures produced by Dark Sword, I searched everywhere for some miniatures based on The Wheel of Time books. Unfortunately none exist so I was sore out of luck. I have since been in contact with a professional sculptor and I am hoping to get him to sculpt some miniatures based on the characters in the books which I could then produce and hopefully sell.

 

I was hoping someone here would be able to put me in touch with the owner of the copyright. Do I need to contact Tor Publishing or Harriet herself?

 

On a related note, what characters would you like to be made into miniature form. I'm thinking of doing different versions of the main characters as they progress through the story. For example, Egwene as the innkeepers daughter, as a novice, as an accepted, and as the Amyrlin Seat.

 

Thanks all and I'm looking forward to your responses.

 

We have a common goal. As you know the tv series is coming up and it got me to thinking

 

why isn’t there a WoT tabletop game?

 

so using 3D printing technology I’m going to make a prototype. So if you want to get a license for miniatures please go ahead but may I ask a favour? Would you please let me use the range excluding the non-combatants? Something marketable like resin would be ideal. 

 

Very interested in in collaborating with you. I have rules. Stats everything except minis. They would have to be in boxed sets let me know how it goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/11/2018 at 7:11 AM, wheeloftimetv said:

 

Trolloc Fist

Shadow Infantry

durability 8

speed 6

range 1

power 8

a trolloc fist is a unit of 50 infantry models

 

Trolloc Pursuers

Shadow Infantry

durability 8

speed 6

range 3

power 8

armed with nets (you may choose to have them attack and if they hit target unit is tied up for d4 turns)

trolloc pursuers consist of 1 to 20 infantry models

 

Shadow special rule; units within 6 inches of this unit must roll 2d6 on double 1’s they must flee. This range is increased to 8 by forsaken.

Edited by WoTgamer
Forgot detail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2010 at 7:10 AM, Dragons Lair said:

Here is a quick update on this project.

 

First of all my plan is to send Harriet some concept sketches along with my proposal.

 

I'm currently trying to talk with the artist who completed this

 

MAT_CAUTHON__fan_art__by_solitarium.jpg

 

I think it's a great adaption of Mat, but I would be interested to hear other's thoughts. What's missing, what's not quite right etc.

 

One thing I thought of would be the foxhead medallion but where could you show it given it would be under his shirt.

 

Cheers and thanks for your input

 

Matrim Cauthon

taveren

durability 12

speed 8

range 1

power 12

 

taveren special rule; this character may retool any on failed die roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 11:19 AM, Leanne_Rivett said:

My Husband is a  board gamer and is into Warhammer Age of Sigmar,  Blood Bowl and Warhammer 40,000, I've always been interested in RPG such as D&D but never ventured any further than just browsing. 

 

For my birthday last week I was in Forbidden Planet and came across The Wheel of Time for the first time.  I purchased The Eye of the World in a bundle of the first six books, I started this week and cannot put the book down. 

 

Although right at the beginning of the saga, I have already thought, I wonder if they do miniatures of these fantastic characters and have found the Wheel of Time RPG book online, I really think this is something I could get into as love the depth of the development of the characters from Edmond's Field.  Seeing this discussion topic really appealed to me, does anyone have any update, or, if any of you are Warhammer / Miniature painters, have you ever made your own versions of Wheel of Time characters to RPG out of Games Workshop or other companies products?  If anyone has, any suggestions?

 

Thank you

 

Would you be interested in giving me some example skirmishes from the books I could create model sets based on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so we’ve establshed that there are some people who want a miniature range. Do people want to paint these? Do they care if they are made of whatever? Are we going to ask for this to happen? Is the Seanchan.vs Sea Folk starter I’m planning going to sell?

If we are all that serious I would like us all to work on it. If replaying the epic battles from wheel of time isn’t going to sell maybe we are all just dreaming here. But hey there’s nothing wrong with that,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going out on a limb here the rules I’ve developed haven’t been been playtested

 

if anyone wants to proxy and test them out that’s cool with me

 

i have not gotten far enough into the game mechanics to have come up with phases and such

 

so what I want to know is what kind of game do you want to play? It’s skirmish size for obvious reasons no one wants to move 150000 models but that aside what board games do you enjoy most?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...