DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who are the Red Shirts?

Bob T Dwarf

OK. ToM is out and we have about all the clues we're ever going to get, so -

WHO ARE THE RED SHIRTS ( of those left ) in this series?

I've always thought Bashere was. I've always hoped Faile was. Cadsuane ( despite the sue in her name ) had BLOODY WELL better be. DIE Cadusane, DIE!

So who are your candidates for Red Shirt of the Week?

Red shirts; Its a term originating in Star Trek, The original Series. Its the term used for the people there simply to kill off instead of the main characters, usually unnamed, or just never before seen, rank of Ensign, or rarely Lieutenant jg.

Red Shirts are extra's that joined the cast of Star Trek to fill out the story line. That story line usually involved a plot where a crew member would need to die. This couldn't be accomplished by a regular cast member unless they were leaving the series. (Note that none of the original cast members left the original Star Trek series. So that means none of them died, at least, not without some magic to bring them back before the end of the episode.)

The question really isn't valid for the WoT books since many people have been introduced and have died. (Red Shirts were always around for a very short time.) I think the post really is asking for who, of the longer time characters, will not survive. Those people aren't red shirts since they have been around too long. They would then be equivalent to Tasha Yar, the only Star Trek regular cast character ever killed in an episode. Though even with that death, the actress, Denise Crosby, appeared in multiple episodes after her "death". She, however, wasn't a red shirt even if she was a security officer.

I'm temporarily locking this thread, as it would seem you guys read ToM and are speculating based on what you know. Merely mentioning names implies that those people won't bite the dust in this book, which is in itself a spoiler (and not an insignificant one).

I'm not sure I'm right, so this might be temporary. If I were sure, I'd have deleted the thread completely. Feel free to contact me via email in this matter (address in my sig). Mind you, posting spoilers on these boards carries a penalty of an automatic 2-week ban.

Okay. I've consulted with Luckers, and I'm reopening the thread. Feel free to discuss who you think will survive TG, but PLEASE don't base anything you say on ToM. Don't tell the rest of us if you've read it. And certainly don't tell us if someone doesn't survive ToM.

Archived