DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

You're Favorite WoT books!!

Lynchgrinch

First of all, just to tease folk who havent read ToM yet, i'm gonna include it in my list but not say WHY it's got that place in the list. That would just be spoilerish, douchy and probably get me kicked off the bords.

Here we go...

1. The Fires of Heaven

2. The Shadow Rising

3. The Great Hunt

4. The Eye of the World

5. Towers of Midnight :wink:

6. The Dragon Reborn

7. The Gathering Storm

8. Lord Of Chaos

9. Knife of Dreams

10.A crown of Swords

11.The Path of Daggers

12.Winters Heart

13.Crossroads of Twilight

Fires of heaven and Shadow Risising have equal footing in my eyes, I simply love the insight those two books give us into Aiel ways. They contain some of the most memorable scenes in WoT history....noteably

1. Moiraine and Lanfears "death"

2. Asmodeans death.

3. Rand and Mat in Rhudean/'Finnland

4. Rand breaking the 3 fold land

5. Mat kills Couladin (awesome!)

6. Perrin saves the Two Rivers

7. Faile is absent for a whole book.

8. Nyn and Elayne kick black ajah butt

9. Rand kills Rhavin and whoops Asmodeans backiside good and propper.

10. Trollock helecopters (lol)

I think that just about sums those 2 books up...oh almost forgot...All the dams sexual frustration from Rand and Avi is halarious, and then realy cute when they finaly get jiggy wit' it.

You cannot have a top 3 WoT and not have The great hunt mentioned.

I'm only ginna say one thing, but you'll have to agree with me.

"THE GRAVE IS NO BAR TO MY CALL"

Damn. If thats not cool, NOTHING IS.

tEotW will always have a very special place in my heart, just because i get realy realy sentimental everytime i read it, rembering R/M/P/N/E/'s humble beginings from the two rivers, every time i start a re-read it brings a tear to my eye. :blush:

Towers-of-frigging-midnight

Wow, just....wow.

...no more than that.

A few other obsurities, i know most people have Lord of Chaos firmly in they're top 5. I loved it, i did. But not as much as some others.

tGS was excellent.

The Dragon reborn speaks for it's self, STONE OF FRIGGING TEAR ANYONE????

Winters heart was boring until towards the end.

CoT was gash.

Cool, hope you enjoyed my list...time to make you're own now! Try and make you're own list simmilar to mine, tell everyone why you LOVE the book that is in no 1 position and scan over the others that are in top positions.

Tell everyone why you hated CoT too. Or if for some reason any book other than CoT is in the bottom spot...then you BETTER tell us why you never liked it!!

My list, after reading ToM

1) The Shadow Rising

2) Lord of Chaos

3) The Fires of Heaven

4) The Great Hunt

5) Towers of Midnight

6) The Eye of the World

7) The Dragon Reborn

8) Knife of Dreams

9) A Crown of Swords

10) The Gathering Storm

11) Winter's Heart

12) The Path of Daggers

13) Crossroads of Twilight

After the first 3, 4-10 are quite close together. TPoD would have been above WH had Mat been around, but no.

The following could possibly be construed as a very minor spoiler. Very, very minor, but hey.

CoT.... I see Brandon's decision about TGS and its timelines, and how he needed to 'hit a home run' with his first book. Had he not done that and instead done things completely chronologically, we would have ended up with something like another CoT. I laud him for his decisions. He was absolutely right.

1. The Shadow Rising - Best book in the series. Great plot, from big to small everything is riveting. Top it off with what I think is Jordan's best writing. The storytelling in the rings, the Aiel, the Battle for the Two Rives. Everything was just amazing.

2. The Gathering Storm - I really enjoyed Brandon's new style in the book. While others were nitpicking over what characters sounded exactly right, I just appreciated that Brandon brought such a fresh look at the series. His evident enthusiasm for writing the scenes as much as we enjoyed reading them alone made the book feel like one of the earlier books to me. Throw in that it resolved two of the biggest storylines in the series....pretty good book.

3. The Eye of the World - Like you said, and others will most likely say, it's hard to ignore the emotional attachment this book has. It's a much smaller scale, but also more intimate look at the characters. Still look forward to this one everytime I sit down to do a reread.

4. The Dragon Reborn - I love this book because of Perrin, and because it reminds me of just how amazing with plot Robert Jordan was. Still funny to think that all(or at least most!) of us thought Ishy was the Dark One for the firs three books!

5. Lord of Chaos - I don't enjoy this one quiiiite as much as others seem to, but there's no denying it's greatness.

6. Knife of Dreams - Wrapping up two of the more boring plotlines was nice(Elayne's arch actually drew to a more enjoyable close then I thought possible). But that was just secondary to the book really making you feel like the series was moving forward again. Like TG had begun.

7. The Fires of Heaven - Not as big a fan of this as others. It always gets stuck in my mind as "that book with the circus between TSR and LoC :p ). But it's definately still a good one.

8. The Great Hunt - I put this one this low not because it's not a good book. The first time I read it, it was a very good action packed novel, but it always seems to be the place my rereads bog down. It's one of the lesser enjoyable novels when it comes to rereads.

9. A Crown of Swords - Most notably for introducing Cads! Just reread the novel and I enjoyed it

10. Winter's Heart - Getting ready to reread this, been so long I can't even so much about this book.

11. Crossroads of Twilight - I enjoyed this one a little more then some. Not terribly interesting plot-wise, but I enjoyed how all the **** really hits the fan in this one. All of the endgame weather and other disruptions started in this novel, and made for a very eerie feel, which I liked.

12. The Path of Daggers: You know, I've been saying that the wait for the later novels is what made them less popular. And that while they are not as good as the first, rereading them makes you appreciate them more. All rereading tPoD has done is made me change my opinion from "worst in the series" to "It never should have been a book at all". The bulk of the first 300 pages should have been at the end of aCoS, and Rand's failed attempt to repel the Seanchan would have made for a better prelude to his success at the Cleansing.

Edit: Oh, and obviously I haven't read ToM yet. Still waiting for my copy....burn you all!

• 3 weeks later...

I am what?

(sorry, just had to be a bit of a smart ass)

As to the books, I'll just go with saying The Dragon Reborn because none of the others have made me feel that strongly about a character. Matrim is simply amazing. Sure there have been plenty of great moments in the others, but none that made me feel as strongly for a specific character.

1. The Dragon Reborn

2. The Shadow Rising

3. The Fires of Heaven

4. The Towers of Midnight

5. The Eye of the World

6. The Great Hunt

7. The Gathering Storm (though the last Chapter "Veins of Gold" is definitely one of my favourites in the whole series)

8. Lord of Chaos

9. Winter Heart

10. A Crown of Swords

11. Path of Daggers

12. The Path of Daggers

All amazing though whatever place they came!

1. The Shadow Rising

2. The Great Hunt

3. The Eye of the World

4. The Fires of Heaven

5. The Gathering Storm

6. Lord of Chaos

7. The Dragon Reborn

8. Towers of Midnight

9. Knife of Dreams

10. A Crown of Swords

11. Winter's Heart

12. The Path of Daggers

13. Crossroads of Twilight

1. The Great Hunt

2. The Shadow Rising

3. Lord of Chaos

4. The Fires of Heaven

5. Towers of Midnight

6. The Dragon Reborn

7. The Gathering Storm

8. The Eye of the World

9. Winter's Heart

10. Knife of Dreams

11. A Crown of Swords

The Path of Daggers

13. Crosswords of Twilight

This is a hard one, and I haven't done a re-read so I don't remember that much about the middle books. But here it goes;

Knife of Dreams

Towers of Midnight

Lord of Chaos

Those are in the top three but they constantly change with each other. The rest:

The Dragon Reborn

The Shadow Rising

The Fires of Heaven

The Great Hunt

Crossroads of Twilight

The Gathering Storm

Eye of the World

Winter's Heart

Crown of Sword

Path of Daggers

Now, I think many will be curious about why I ranked CoT very high. Well, it's because I like that book; Mat's my favourite, and he got a lot of screentime with Tuon and such. I like the focus on the characters and not the plot in this book. I liked the Gathering Storm, but why it is so low is because I loved the other ones more.

ToM really got me. Hard. I love ToM! The same with KoD and LoC.

I can't remember POD. Not a single thing.

1. The Dragon Reborn

2. The Shadow Rising

3. The Fires of Heaven

4. The Towers of Midnight

5. The Eye of the World

6. The Great Hunt

7. The Gathering Storm (though the last Chapter "Veins of Gold" is definitely one of my favourites in the whole series)

8. Lord of Chaos

9. Winter Heart

10. A Crown of Swords

11. Path of Daggers

12. The Path of Daggers

All amazing though whatever place they came!

Dude, where's Knife of Dreams? Also; two Path of Daggers? I'm guessing the last you meant CoT?

I am what?

(sorry, just had to be a bit of a smart ass)

Ahhhhhh....lol, cringy typos!!!! i knew someone would pick me up on it at some point :dry: ...atleast you were subtle about it...THANKYOU.

keep 'em coming guys, we love to here 'em! i knew this thread needed bumped the other day :wink:

Ahhhhhh....lol, cringy typos!!!! i knew someone would pick me up on it at some point :dry: ...atleast you were subtle about it...THANKYOU.

keep 'em coming guys, we love to here 'em! i knew this thread needed bumped the other day :wink:

Well, if it helps, the title for your thread's all wrong, dude. "You're Favorite WoT books!!" is wrong. Should be "Your fave...etc.".

Well, if it helps, the title for your thread's all wrong, dude. "You're Favorite WoT books!!" is wrong. Should be "Your fave...etc.".

yeah...thats what my post was about...i guessed you completely missed that? :laugh:

yeah...thats what my post was about...i guessed you completely missed that? :laugh:

Hey, I was only trying to help detect typos and bump your thread, like I thought you wanted.

For what it's worth: tGH, tEotW, tGS. Those are my favorite books.

Oh, and btw, it's not "we love to here 'em!". It should be "we love to hear 'em!". Sorry, but I do cringe when I read typos such as these. Still, I do hope the bumps help your thread gain momentum.

Alright I have read enough of ToM to make my decision.

1 Towers of Midnight number one for sure. simply incredible.

2 Knife of Dreams It has a lot of awesome developments rands hand getting blown off, raising of the Golden Crane, Logain, Perava... The list goes on. great book.

3 The Great Hunt The Grave Is No Bar To My Call. Ingtar. Mat. Rand's wound. Falme. awesome book.

4 The Shadow Rising Perrin was freaking awesome to the extreme :flamingsword:

5 The Gathering Storm The Last Thing That Could Be Done, VoG, simply amazing. Hindersnap was really cool.

6 Lord of Chaos

7 Fires of Heaven

8 Eye of the World Idk not a huge fan of it for whatever reason. I struggle to get through it in my rereads

9 Path of Daggers Callandor people. One of my favorite scenes in the series

10 Crown of Swords Gholm was really cool.

11 Winters Heart Tylin and mat baby tylin and mat

12 Crossroads at Twilight Boring but the Axe was an iconic scene and i love it

13 The dragon reborn I hate this book it sucked.

Hey, I was only trying to help detect typos and bump your thread, like I thought you wanted.

For what it's worth: tGH, tEotW, tGS. Those are my favorite books.

Oh, and btw, it's not "we love to here 'em!". It should be "we love to hear 'em!". Sorry, but I do cringe when I read typos such as these. Still, I do hope the bumps help your thread gain momentum.

The bumping is greatly appreciated! guess i'll just have to live with you correcting my daft typos? aye, thought so :tongue:

@last post.....what the hell, explain why book 3 is BOTTOM of your list please...i mean.....what?!!?

stone of tear is by far one of THE COOLEST THINGS TO HAVE EVER HAPPENED IN THIS SERIES! ahhhhh!!!

]

The bumping is greatly appreciated! guess i'll just have to live with you correcting my daft typos? aye, thought so :tongue:

@last post.....what the hell, explain why book 3 is BOTTOM of your list please...i mean.....what?!!?

stone of tear is by far one of THE COOLEST THINGS TO HAVE EVER HAPPENED IN THIS SERIES! ahhhhh!!!

Nah, the typos is just the teacher, writer and translator in me. I've been given such a hard time by editors, clients and such, that I can't help myself when I see 'em...hehe

Those aren't the three books in the bottom of my list! Those are my 3 favorite books in this series. Didn't know I had to provide a whole list ranking all the books. But I guess it'd be something like this:

1. The Great Hunt

2. The Eye of the World

3. The Gathering Storm

4. The Dragon Reborn

5. The Shadow Rising

6. Towers of Midnight.

7...it gets hard here, because I'm not so hot on all the other books that much, neither do I hate them as much as other people. Well, I guess if a tie is possible, then this would be it!

Ahh, wow. Freakin' hard question..

1. The Eye of the World.

- After reading this book, I knew I was in love with the series ( And Moiraine :wub: ) , and couldn't quit.

2. Knife of Dreams.

- Still what I consider the end of the series, and of course Mat being freakin' awesome helps.

3. The Shadow Rising.

- Just pretty badass overall.

4. The Fires of Heaven.

- Beginning of the super-Mat, which I love.

5. The Great Hunt.

- Rand, Mat and Perrin starting to grow up. Also love Min in Toman Head.

6. The Gathering Storm. (I love the darkness of this one.)

- Super dark, starting to think the end will be darker than I thought.

7. Towers of Midnight. (Well, the last scene might make this my #1..)

- The end scene was truly amazing, would be higher if Sanderson wrote some of the characters better (Mat)

8. The Dragon Reborn

- Loved the Gual scene, also the beginning of Faile (I like her a lot pre-Warthog thingy)

9. Lord of Chaos

- Box scenes, LTT's first time really talking, arm shivering good.

10. Winters Heart.

- Beginning of Tuon-Mat (Whom I love, pre-Gathering Storm)

11. A Crown of Swords

- Elayne and Nynaeve being called children, makes me chuckle every time.

12. Crossroads of Twilight,

Hmm, actually, I really like this book. Mat with Tuon, Perrin torturing Aiel.. Loved the axe scene.

13. A Path of Daggers

Bowl of Winds bores me a bit too much. No Mat.. Though, where Rand goes psycho is one of my favorite scenes, but doesn't make up for the rest of the book, for me.

10/11/12 are all tied, just put those in a random order.

Honestly though, they're almost too close to rank, can't judge the books without feeling bad.

]

Nah, the typos is just the teacher, writer and translator in me. I've been given such a hard time by editors, clients and such, that I can't help myself when I see 'em...hehe

Those aren't the three books in the bottom of my list! Those are my 3 favorite books in this series. Didn't know I had to provide a whole list ranking all the books. But I guess it'd be something like this:

1. The Great Hunt

2. The Eye of the World

3. The Gathering Storm

4. The Dragon Reborn

5. The Shadow Rising

6. Towers of Midnight.

7...it gets hard here, because I'm not so hot on all the other books that much, neither do I hate them as much as other people. Well, I guess if a tie is possible, then this would be it!

oops, you must have missed the bit where i said @last post, so that would be @crael123, yeah.....go on, tell us why you hate tDR!!!

My absolute favorites: The Shadow Rising (Perrin in the Two Rivers, Rand in Rhuidean), The Fires of Heaven (Rand vs Rahvin, Moiraine Vs Lanfear), Lord of Chaos (Dumai's Wells, Nyaneve Healing stilling/gentling).

Books I've thoroughly enjoyed: Winter's Heart (cleansing of saidin, Rand's bonding), Knife of Dreams (Nynaeve and Lan, Rand's hand, Perrin finally gets Faile back), The Gathering Storm (Egwene getting badass, Rand's epiphany), Towers of Midnight (SPOILERS!).

Books that I thought were good, just not as intense yet: The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt and the Dragon Reborn. Setting up the universe, getting to love the characters, meeting the first Forsaken, etc.

Books I plodded through without getting much out of it: A Path of Daggers, A Crown of Swords and more than any other Crossroads of Twilight. The pace of the series seems to screech to a halt in those 3.

My list:

1. The Shadow Rising

So very far and away #1 there's no contest. The entire world was developed amazingly, the characters developed amazingly. I love this book.

2. Lord Of Chaos

3. The Fires of Heaven

These two are really close for me but I think overall LoC is the better book, tFoHs high points are higher though, but then Dumai's Wells in LoC... you see my problem.

4. A Crown of Swords

5. Knife of Dreams

6. The Great Hunt

7. The Dragon Reborn

8. The Eye of the World

9. The Gathering Storm

10. Towers of Midnight

11. Winters Heart

12. A Path of Daggers

13. Crossroads of Twilight

Archived