DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Borderlanders

Luckers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curiously, it's implied that had Rand not become cool it would have been better for the Dark One to win. Makes them abandoning the Borderlands make sense.

I forget how the game of sha'rah is played precisely, but I'd imagine that some of the rules are applicable to this. Winning the game depending upon his mindset, which side has control of him, and so forth.

Can I ask for someone who already read thru the whole book, is it certain now that Demandred had no influence or presence among Borderlanders and their "rebellion"? I know there were speculations about him hiding among them.

Certain? I hesitate to say that about anything in these books, but I feel pretty good about it.

I can't see how Demandred in the guise on any of the B-landers could claim to Moridin that "my rule is secure.... I gather for war"

I personally wasn't too riffled up. At the end of the day, if the Dragon Reborn din't become the man he needed to be, then the Border would fall any way. The Borderlanders,and as much as I screamed at them for oathbreakers, were simply protecting the world in a different way. Rand will have their full support I'll wager.

And in regards to the Aes Sedai.. Rand was completely safe.

yeeeeeeah rand was still right for telling them to get their behinds back to the borderlands or tell their kids why they didn't help out. Good intentions pave the way to hell, and Borderlander Monarchs pave the way to tarmon gaidon, 40,000 leagues away from where they should be.

If all they needed was to smack Rand around and ask him the answer to a question, why did they need 200,000 B-lander troops for that?

Not very happy with this thread. (not this discussion thread, this thread in the books)

To insure that they could kill him if necessary. That was part of the deal- if his reaction was bad, then he died. And if he brought an army or had Uber Dragon Channeling Powers that they were unaware of, they may have felt they needed it. Be prepared for the worst, etc.

To insure that they could kill him if necessary. That was part of the deal- if his reaction was bad, then he died. And if he brought an army or had Uber Dragon Channeling Powers™ that they were unaware of, they may have felt they needed it. Be prepared for the worst, etc.

I think that was a valid reason for them to keep secret borderland prophecy.

I had to re-read the scene, though, because for a moment, i thought that Rand called out a borderland king as Demandred.

To insure that they could kill him if necessary. That was part of the deal- if his reaction was bad, then he died. And if he brought an army or had Uber Dragon Channeling Powers™ that they were unaware of, they may have felt they needed it. Be prepared for the worst, etc.

I had to re-read the scene, though, because for a moment, i thought that Rand called out a borderland king as Demandred.

Yeah, my heart lept when they mentioned the AoL Aes Sedai. I was like OHHHHH, its about to go DOWN. But no.

I didnt think it was Demandred though, or one of the Forsaken, I feel Rand would have recognized one of them. Like he recognized Lanfear despite the different body etc..

That was a bit of an anti-climax, IMO. One lousy self-fulfilling prophesy after all that buildup? Bah.

Ya, I agree. All those books worth of build up and then that's it? I know that we're getting to the end of the series and tertiary plotlines need to be wrapped up quickly so that the main storylines can move on, but that was kind of overdoing it.

Demandred hasn't appeared onscreen till KoD - the border rulers did in TPoD

Demandred hasn't appeared onscreen till KoD - the border rulers did in TPoD

Yeah that is correct. Despite some of the "spoilers" Demo isn't in this book and he is not Olver, lol. I have not ever really tried to try and figure out who is who as there are so many characters I cannot keep track of them all and don't remember many/most. After reading various threads at this site over the years I would think that the Demo reveal will be a big "whooo!" and then we would all be like, "OMG he was there all along!" and although that is possible, I think it is much more likely he will be some more obscure name that I won't even remember unless I go and re-read it knowing what name to look for or look it up. When Masaana was revealed I couldn't remember who that person was. I was like, Ok..sweet...I have no idea who that even is.

I'm going to need to revise my Olver=Demandred theory, this is true.

Okay, done. Split personality- he isn't posing as anyone, he just swaps personalities and weaves the MoM on himself to become Olver. His "rule" that is secure is over the serving girls of the continent, and their impressive bosoms.

On that note, now that we know the reality of Olver, I liked the idea behind the Borderlanders and didn't feel it that lacking in terms of execution. I think that it meshed together well with everything else Rand had done in the book. Given more time to happen but without the rest of Super Rand I don't think it'd have been as strong, necessarily.

i think its fairly clear where Damandred is now... at least for me :D could be way off..

Those red veiled channelers at the end were probably turned when they went to the blight 13x13 style. (assuming they were channelers which I think is a good assumption)

This means there is an organised system and somewhere for them to live.. a city in the blight.

Damandred ruling there getting ready for war makes perfect sense. Organising the channelers that attacked during the attack on that city, and the ones bringing trollocs by the portal stone, and many more for future attacks. i wonder how many they could of gathered, they would live a long time unbound by oaths. they may have more guns coming out then the light expects.

I reckon Demandred is currently in Seanchan, Travelling back and forth. Something about that scene stating the Imperial family has been wiped out and a murderer sits on the throne.

Also don't you think it's fishy about that Borderland secret prophecy that only one Monarch heard from a family member who happenned to be Aes Sedai the other monarchs took his word for it.

didn't one of the FS possibly Demandred I can't quite remember, wonder to himself in one of the previous books " I wonder if Al'Thor really is Lews Therin Telamon and does he remember and still hate me over the death of ___________" I'm not sure but I reckon it was that same Clerks name the Borderlander King mentioned. Coincidence?

Archived